Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is the Best Car under 50K?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 03:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Acura Rl over the GS350 I guess you guys are over 50.
I am not even close to being over 50, I am not even 30. Aside from a Lexus or badge bias I don't see how after comparing the two cars the GS would win. I have driven both and the RL not only handled better but had a nicer more solid interior and build. The RL is more of a sports sedan then the GS. What is it about the GS that would make it preferable to people under 50 that the RL does not have? Many of the people I see driving the new GS look at or over 50 and at its price point as well as the RLs there is not going to be alot of young people buying it brand new.
Old 01-28-07, 03:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I am not even close to being over 50, I am not even 30. Aside from a Lexus or badge bias I don't see how after comparing the two cars the GS would win. I have driven both and the RL not only handled better but had a nicer more solid interior and build. The RL is more of a sports sedan then the GS. What is it about the GS that would make it preferable to people under 50 that the RL does not have? Many of the people I see driving the new GS look at or over 50 and at its price point as well as the RLs there is not going to be alot of young people buying it brand new.
Wrong, try again Have you seen the 2 forums. The RL forum is DEAD. No traffic. It simply did not and does not attract a young buyer. Period. For all its SH-AWD prowness (which is the best AWD system now) it is wrapped in such a bland looking car, enthusiasts stay away.
Look over here. The 3GS forum is active. Look at the modified thread. TONS of modified cars. On top of that the AFTERMARKET has totally supported the GS. The RL, you can get maybe a spoiler.

Don't get me wrong. I think the RL is a good car. However, clearly the people think the GS is the better car, or the RL wouldn't have near 10k discounts.

I totally disagree with the RL being better built (it is Accord based) and a better sports sedan than the GS.

\

I bet you can't find even 10 modded RLs

Last edited by LexFather; 01-28-07 at 03:52 PM.

Old 01-28-07, 03:48 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I personally think the RL doesn't handle very well at all and a racing driver named Jason Plato from Fifth Gear agrees with me. (It needs a much better suspension and better tires)

Take a look at this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GwT79fmwOjY
Old 01-28-07, 03:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
I personally think the RL doesn't handle very well at all and a racing driver named Jason Plato from Fifth Gear agrees with me. (It needs a much better suspension and better tires)

Take a look at this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GwT79fmwOjY
Nice vid The 225 hp BMW 530 sport beat out it's more powerful comp.
The Acura RL & Audi A6 are sloppy handlers... My next 4 door (when I am tired of the GS) will be a 5 series w/ sport package for sure.
Old 01-28-07, 04:07 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

MMarshall all them reports you give on cars and you're saying that the RL has more power than the GS350. pleeeeeease the RL looks like an accord with blinkers on the side view mirrors.
Old 01-28-07, 04:22 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Nice vid The 225 hp BMW 530 sport beat out it's more powerful comp.
The Acura RL & Audi A6 are sloppy handlers... My next 4 door (when I am tired of the GS) will be a 5 series w/ sport package for sure.
I wouldn't call the A6 a sloppy handler by any means. It's more of a better balance between the really sporty (BMW) and the really luxurious (Mercedes). Also take into account the 5 series had the sport package and I don't think the Audi did.

Next year when the A6 gets the new Torque vectoring Quattro system it will no doubt be an even better handler and make much better use of this technology than the RL did.
Old 01-28-07, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
MMarshall all them reports you give on cars and you're saying that the RL has more power than the GS350. pleeeeeease the RL looks like an accord with blinkers on the side view mirrors.
On paper, the two engines are very close in size, HP, and torque. The RL, however, felt a little more responsive in normal, suburban driving, especially at lower RPM's ( I obviously did not test them on a drag strip), than the GS AWD, perhaps because of the superb SH AWD system.
Having said that, I agree that the RL has Accord-like styling. I see nothing wrong with that....it's not supposed to be a sports car. The GS is not styled like a sports car either.

Now....if it makes you feel any better, the RL does NOT beat every Lexus, by any means. The new LS460 handily beats it in everything but wet/snow traction and some interior and door hardware, and its noise isolation and stereo are incredible.........but of course the LS costs a lot more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-07 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 04:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I dont know about that... My cousin has an RL and while I have not drivin a GS350, I do have an IS350 (same engine as the GS and not much lighter) and his RL is not even close to being as responsive as my IS, be it low or high RPMs and he agrees with me. Infact, anything below 3k RPM's and it's a complete dog. Maybe it's the combination of the ligher weight and RWD only, but the performance difference is quite large.
Old 01-28-07, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wrong, try again Have you seen the 2 forums. The RL forum is DEAD. No traffic. It simply did not and does not attract a young buyer. Period. For all its SH-AWD prowness (which is the best AWD system now) it is wrapped in such a bland looking car, enthusiasts stay away.
I agree, Mike, that the RL is not a classic enthusiast car; it is not meant to be....and no, it doesn't have a lot of forums and aftermarket stuff.

It is simply a well-rounded, superb car for the money. It is more than just Accord-based, though it is more or less Accord-styled. The original question of the thread was the best car for 50K and under, and, while opinions differ on this, I felt, and still do, that this car, along WITH the Lexus GS, are probably the two best deals.

And as far as the GS attracting young audiences, the IS attracts even younger ones....except for ME of course ....and I had a bright yellow one.

But again, it depends on what the driving needs and wants are. I'm sure you and I will both agree that the non-Z06 Corvette is probably the best sports-car under 50K.
Old 01-28-07, 04:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree, Mike, that the RL is not a classic enthusiast car; it is not meant to be....and no, it doesn't have a lot of forums and aftermarket stuff.

It is simply a well-rounded, superb car for the money. It is more than just Accord-based, though it is more or less Accord-styled. The original question of the thread was the best car for 50K and under, and, while opinions differ on this, I felt, and still do, that this car, along WITH the Lexus GS, are probably the two best deals.

And as far as the GS attracting young audiences, the IS attracts even younger ones....except for ME of course ....and I had a bright yellow one.

But again, it depends on what the driving needs and wants are. I'm sure you and I will both agree that the non-Z06 Corvette is probably the best sports-car under 50K.
I am with you when you say the RL is a good car. I won't classify it as an "old" person's car and I won't say the GS is a "young" persons car. Both cars have old and young people I am sure buying it.

I have no issues with you or anyone recommending the RL as the best car for 50k, especially since you can get it for near 40k.

Old 01-28-07, 05:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I dont know about that... My cousin has an RL and while I have not drivin a GS350, I do have an IS350 (same engine as the GS and not much lighter) and his RL is not even close to being as responsive as my IS, be it low or high RPMs and he agrees with me. Infact, anything below 3k RPM's and it's a complete dog. Maybe it's the combination of the ligher weight and RWD only, but the performance difference is quite large.
In my experience, when you have a car that's lighter with more power, it's going to feel more responsive. Hel|, my car feels like it has no response compared to a lightweight Honda CRX. I love the lightweight feel of cars..too bad mine doesn't offer it
Old 01-28-07, 05:13 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

mom just looked at an rl, very nice car
Old 01-28-07, 05:16 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
I wouldn't call the A6 a sloppy handler by any means. It's more of a better balance between the really sporty (BMW) and the really luxurious (Mercedes). Also take into account the 5 series had the sport package and I don't think the Audi did.

Next year when the A6 gets the new Torque vectoring Quattro system it will no doubt be an even better handler and make much better use of this technology than the RL did.
I agree with your assessment..Audi a6 with sport package is a different animal. The Audi in the vid was non-sport package.
Old 01-28-07, 05:23 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i had to choose 1 car (for New England weather).... it would be the RL

If I lived in a warmer climate (no snow)...The GS350 would be my car

BTW... i have driven the RL extensively and it is not "racy" but conservative in its power distribution.... The interior is fantastic in black and with the wood steering wheel
Old 01-28-07, 06:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look over here. The 3GS forum is active. Look at the modified thread. TONS of modified cars. On top of that the AFTERMARKET has totally supported the GS. The RL, you can get maybe a spoiler.

Don't get me wrong. I think the RL is a good car. However, clearly the people think the GS is the better car, or the RL wouldn't have near 10k discounts.

I totally disagree with the RL being better built (it is Accord based) and a better sports sedan than the GS.

I bet you can't find even 10 modded RLs
I agree with you partly. I think the GS has much more appeal among younger buyers. The public clearly likes it better as well. I'd take a GS430 and even a GS350 over the RL myself. In the past, I would have taken the RL over the GS300 though. Personally, I wouldn't mind owning either.

There are people modifying RL's and there are younger buyers buying them. My friend is one of them. Sure, not anywhere near like the GS, but there is sime appeal to it.

From a fit and finish point I also am one that thinks the RL is better built. While my experience may only be limited to test drives and sitting in them in show rooms and car shows, the RL has a more refined fit and finish feel to it. I don't think that is a knock against the GS, as the Legen, and old RL has great fit and finish much better than other Honda/Acura cars. The new RL just took it up a notch.

While the after market supporst the GS mainly because it is a VIP platform in Japan, the RL does have some aftermarket support. Not as many vendors, but you can get more than just a spoiler and rims. You can get intakes, suspension, body kits. You don't have as many choices as a GS, but you can still modify it quite a bit if you wanted to.

After it is all said and done, I agree that the GS has much better public support. However, that doesn't mean one car is better than the other. There are many great cars that have poor sales numbers and many crappy cars with great sales numbers.

Quick Reply: What is the Best Car under 50K?