Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New (used) car considerations... AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 10:19 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LXotic
I have a 06 A4 and its the best awd car!(note that Im in MI)
I couldn't agree more
Old 01-28-07, 04:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
He can swap out the tires NYC is the pothole capitol, and get just as much snow... He will be ok
Yes, that is sometimes possible, but it can, in some cases, depending on outside tire diameter, mess up odometer and speedometer readings or cause other problems.
Old 01-28-07, 02:41 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

I'm fairly set on an 03 or 04 A4 1.8T Quattro tiptronic. I've heard of potential problems with coil packs and some other less likely issues. It won't be as reliable as the GS, but few cars are. My only two issues are the stupid cupholders, and I wish the car took regular instead of premium and sipped a bit less fuel. I guess that's the cost of entry into the segment, and it will still be an improvement to what I'm used to paying now.

Now it's just a matter of finding one in Dolphin with HIDs, premium + sport, the changer (for double din) and the timing belt changed. All for a good price. My future plans will be a chip and some summer rims and tires.

I just wish I could find an Audi board that's half of what CL is. I want to buy another Lex not only because of what it is, but the community here behind it as well.
Old 01-28-07, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubs
I'm fairly set on an 03 or 04 A4 1.8T Quattro tiptronic.
My advice....look at and drive a turbo Subaru Legacy GT before you spend the extra cash for an Audi. The Legacy GT is virtually just as nice an interior, better reliability, the same AWD traction, and less cash.

I just wish I could find an Audi board that's half of what CL is. I want to buy another Lex not only because of what it is, but the community here behind it as well.
This is CAR chat, not just LEXUS chat. In the CAR CHAT forum, We're here to talk cars, period, and to give YOU advice and to help YOU make the best decision for YOUR deeds, not just to sell Lexuses.......we are not salespeople.
Old 01-28-07, 03:04 PM
rai
Lead Lap

I recently bought a 07 Legacy Wagon w/MT for about $20,400 (USD). You can probably get a Legacy w/AT for under $22K.

BTW this is a non-turbo so it's not blazingly fast. But on the other hand I can use regular gas (costs 10% less than premium gas) and I get around 27- 28 MPG mixed driving.

I don't get much snow, but I also put on a new set of Dunlop Winter Sport tires. I don't mind being over-prepared. AWD + snow tires.

I won't say the Legacy is the best car on the planet, but its a lot of car for the money (IMO). Its got a roomy interior (especially the wagon) and it's materials are high quality. It's looks are clean and (especially the wagon) won't grow old looking b/c it's a simple design.

I give the Legacy the nod over the Impreza for a couple of reasons. Its a bigger car (a bit more room) and it weighs a bit more so it's safer, in fact it's the top safety car in its class. Also it rides on the HW very well. I replaced a V6 Passat with the 4 cylinder Legacy and the Legacy is not much off in ride or handeling or comfort.

If I wasn't going for a AWD car, I may have went for the GTi with DSG tranny, the Legacy is a bit larger and cheaper, but the GTi is a lot sportier and more fun to drive.
Old 01-28-07, 03:11 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I'm fairly set on an 03 or 04 A4 1.8T Quattro tiptronic. I've heard of potential problems with coil packs and some other less likely issues. It won't be as reliable as the GS, but few cars are. My only two issues are the stupid cupholders, and I wish the car took regular instead of premium and sipped a bit less fuel. I guess that's the cost of entry into the segment, and it will still be an improvement to what I'm used to paying now.

Now it's just a matter of finding one in Dolphin with HIDs, premium + sport, the changer (for double din) and the timing belt changed. All for a good price. My future plans will be a chip and some summer rims and tires.

Good plan, go with an 04' if you really want to get a used car. There is another alternative to buying used though, if you are just looking for a winter car you can just pay 12k up front and lease a brand new A4 with the 2.0T for 2 years? That's just another option. Of course you could always decide to keep it after the 2 years and the pay the remainder if your happy with it. But, I'm sure you know how leases work. Leasing is for some and not for others.
Old 01-29-07, 09:37 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is CAR chat, not just LEXUS chat. In the CAR CHAT forum, We're here to talk cars, period, and to give YOU advice and to help YOU make the best decision for YOUR deeds, not just to sell Lexuses.......we are not salespeople.
I agree and I definitely see that. In addition to car chat, the model specific forums (I speak to 2nd gen GS particularly) are just an amazing resource. If you can't find what you're looking for, someone will probably post the answer. I also find the posts to be well written, which is probably due to the demographic we're in (this is the biggest difference between CL and other forums). And I get a real sense of camaraderie.

Anyhow, last night I brought up discussion with my father about the car situation. He told me to take the GS because financially, it would make things a lot easier for me considering I'm settling in a new town. And he would buy a new car for himself. The GS was originally purchased for me to drive, but I never considered myself the real owner. I treated it like my own in terms of upkeep, but if my dad or sister drove it I thought nothing of it. Okay, I worried a bit when my sister drove it. I guess she's up there in the years now, so I might as well make her mine. So for the time being I'm staying status quo. I'm not sure how the GS will fair out in Calgary though, we had a good snowfall here on Friday and I had to really baby her to get around. The discussion is still a little open, so there may be some change to the plan. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-29-07, 09:51 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I agree and I definitely see that. In addition to car chat, the model specific forums (I speak to 2nd gen GS particularly) are just an amazing resource. If you can't find what you're looking for, someone will probably post the answer. I also find the posts to be well written, which is probably due to the demographic we're in (this is the biggest difference between CL and other forums). And I get a real sense of camaraderie.

Anyhow, last night I brought up discussion with my father about the car situation. He told me to take the GS because financially, it would make things a lot easier for me considering I'm settling in a new town. And he would buy a new car for himself. The GS was originally purchased for me to drive, but I never considered myself the real owner. I treated it like my own in terms of upkeep, but if my dad or sister drove it I thought nothing of it. Okay, I worried a bit when my sister drove it. I guess she's up there in the years now, so I might as well make her mine. So for the time being I'm staying status quo. I'm not sure how the GS will fair out in Calgary though, we had a good snowfall here on Friday and I had to really baby her to get around. The discussion is still a little open, so there may be some change to the plan. We'll see how it goes.

I thought you needed an AWD car...oh well...just put some Continental snow tires (the best in my opinion) on it and you'll be fine.
Old 01-29-07, 10:04 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mavericck
I thought you needed an AWD car...oh well...just put some Continental snow tires (the best in my opinion) on it and you'll be fine.
I think I do. But this is an option that would save me $20K, so I may make do. I have Pirelli Snowsport 240s right now, and they do a good job. A little difficult to get going in deep snow, but they handle predictably afterward. I was thinking Nokians for the next time I need winter tires, based on some reading.