Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New (used) car considerations... AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 09:41 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (used) car considerations... AWD

I'm considering a career move that would send me to Calgary. Although the potential move is only in the preliminary stages, I may need to consider purchasing a new car. A friend of mine in Calgary says the roads there aren't very nice to cars. I want something that balances value with luxury, so the inevitably chipped hood won't bother me too much.

I love the GS and RWD but I don't want to have to switch between summer and winter tires. There's at least a handful of snowfalls, and the temperatures get pretty low for a few months out of the year. I don't like FWD, so AWD is the natural choice. I'll probably do a lot of driving so as nice as the power is, a premium sipping V8 is best avoided. I still want to have some power under my foot though. And I'm going to go auto for those times I need to stuff my face with a McMuffin and still chug along in traffic. Depending on the car, I'm looking to spend $17-22K Canadian (~14-18 USD). Keeping in mind cars cost a touch more north of the 49th parallel.

Most of the cars I've wanted to own don't fulfill the requirements I've outlined. First off, I can't get a Lexus or Toyota which is really too bad. Same with Honda/Acura. Maybe a G35X, but it's on the pricier side of the equation and must take nearly as much fuel as the GS4. I like the Legacy GT, but the current gen that I like is too pricey. What seems right is an 02 A6 2.7T, but I wonder how reliability will be. I'd buy a 95 Lex, but I don't know if I'd buy an 02 German auto. I might with some more knowledge and encouragement. So what other cars am I overlooking?

Too avoid reading my rambling, here's the gist of what I want:
- AWD
- $17-22K Canadian (~$14-18K USD)
- 3.0 L V6 type fuel economy or better
- auto

Fringe considerations:
- HIDs
- Double DIN for aftermarket navi or stock navi with good stock audio system

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 01-25-07, 10:00 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a used Subaru Outback with the H6 motor prettttty much fits your entire gist list.

doesn't fit your first fringe list, but i THINK it has a double din size dash.
Old 01-25-07, 10:01 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

trust me, in calgary regardless of having AWD or not, ull still need winter tires

AWD is not a substitute for winter tires
a FWD car with winter tires can beat an AWD car w/ all season tires in the snow

how about Subaru Imprezza if you are going for new

for used, maybe Legacy? or Outback
or even SUVs to handle the 20~30 inches of snow that calgary gets in the winter months

have u ever thought about buying cars down in the states and importing it yourself?
i know ppl that have saved a few thousand dollars doing that even after tax and duty
Old 01-26-07, 02:13 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Audi....The grandaddy of AWD.
Old 01-26-07, 04:24 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

Subaru is probably the best way to go as far as having the AWD. Audi has a very good AWD but not sure if I would want to get a used 3-5 year old one. But as for winter tires Ubernoob is correct. AWD with all season tires is good but a FWD with winter tires is just as good if not slightly better. Part of it would depend on the all weather tire on the vehicle. Some do better in snow and ice then others plus how worn they are.

My previous (and first) Lexus was a 98 GS300 and I put Blizzaks all around on it every winter. Here in ND (east central) we get on the average around 40 inches of snow and with the Blizzaks on the GS I never had a problem getting around either on the highway or in town. Granted I didn't take it out on those few days when the snowfall was 5 or more inches but it was not a problem in anything less. In fact our city has a "no-plow" policy if the snowfall is less than 4 inches. They just put some sand (and salt) down at intersections. In the 4 years I had it I never once was stuck. Changing over to the winter tires was no big thing, it took about an hour to hour and a half to do it. I would change over about the last weekend of Oct. and change back about the first weekend of April.

Now I have a 2005 RX330 with the Michelin MXV4 and have no problem getting around but this will be the last winter I go with those tires. I plan to get a set of winter tires for next winter as I know the MXV4s are starting to get worn enough. I can tell the difference from last winter to this winter in the traction. The 4 years I had the Blizzaks I never noticed any depreciation in the traction. I still have the those tires and they look only slightly worn from new. Just wish they fit the RX.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud, Thundercloud Mist, Gray/Black interior with Black Birdseye Maple, NAV, ML, HID's with AFS, Rain Sensing Wipers, Headlight Washers, Tow Package with OEM Hitch, 18" Thundercloud rims with Michelin MXV4s.
Old 01-26-07, 05:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

99-05 BMW 325/330xi All wheel drive fun that can handle the twisties.
Old 01-26-07, 05:55 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies thus far...

I'm a bit particular... out of the Subies, the only one that has styling I agree with is the current Legacy GT. Unfortunately it's too far of a stretch of the budget to manage.

SUVs don't interest me at this point in time. When I narrow down the search to a specific car I'll take a look at what I might save if I were to purchase State-side. The Legacy is cheaper there, but still out of reach.

The previous gen 3-series only offered AWD in the sedan. I don't mind sedans, but for some reason I've always disliked the 3-series sedan. I would consider the coupe easily though.

As for winter tires, I suppose I should invest in them regardless of AWD. I currently use winter tires, and although we haven't seen much white stuff around here they make a huge difference. I'll maintain the AWD requirement though.

What are the opinions of Audis as reliable vehicles? Particularly - 01 S4, 02 A6 2.7T, 03 A4 1.8T. I like the styling of these cars and they fit the bill in most other respects. The A4 doesn't have a double din, but the cup holders could probably be removed in favour of one. I could possibly stretch for a G35X as well.
Old 01-26-07, 06:28 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

If i were you i would be looking for more of a suv rather than a lux-sport car. calgary get pretty bad in the winter so i would look more towards a SUV. for your price range maybe a ford escape, or if you got the extra money envoy.
Old 01-26-07, 08:02 AM
Lubs
Pole Position

I don't like the driving characteristics of SUVs and it would seem silly to drive such a big vehicle considering I don't need the utility and will drive alone 99% of the time.

I've done some reading about the 2.7T engine and I'm seeing some issues of concern that are turning me off. Particularly the seals and the possibility of bending valves. I don't know just how common this is; most people post on forums because they have problems, not because things are going well. The 1.8T seems like a good bet because the motor is so common so it must be cheap to repair and the fuel economy is quite good. I'll have to drive to see if it's underpowered, and maybe step up to the 3.0. Or I may just throw all my convention out the window and go with a FWD TSX seeing how they stack up pretty well.

I think I'll go see some cars this weekend and see which one appeals to me most. It's tough making the responsible choice, especially considering I'd love to get another GS4.
Old 01-26-07, 08:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lubs
I don't like the driving characteristics of SUVs and it would seem silly to drive such a big vehicle considering I don't need the utility and will drive alone 99% of the time.

I've done some reading about the 2.7T engine and I'm seeing some issues of concern that are turning me off. Particularly the seals and the possibility of bending valves. I don't know just how common this is; most people post on forums because they have problems, not because things are going well. The 1.8T seems like a good bet because the motor is so common so it must be cheap to repair and the fuel economy is quite good. I'll have to drive to see if it's underpowered, and maybe step up to the 3.0. Or I may just throw all my convention out the window and go with a FWD TSX seeing how they stack up pretty well.

I think I'll go see some cars this weekend and see which one appeals to me most. It's tough making the responsible choice, especially considering I'd love to get another GS4.
Since you don't like 4 doors, the Audi TT might be the car your looking for considering your budget.
Old 01-26-07, 06:59 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArPgSDVWFsU&eurl=

Fits the bill perfectly
Old 01-27-07, 04:55 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

DASHOCKER - All the cars I've considered thus far have been 4 doors.

mavericck - Sick video. That reminds me of my buddy's Audi Quattro Coupe. That little thing is a monster, eating most any car on the road for breakfast - in any weather.
Old 01-27-07, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
99-05 BMW 325/330xi All wheel drive fun that can handle the twisties.
No. In addition to its low-profile tires providing poor impact protection for the alloy wheels in Calgary's potholes, the 3-series doesn't have enough ground clearance for deep snow. In fact, even some Subarus don't, such as basic Imprezas and Legacys. For real snow, the best bet, short of an actual tall SUV, is a raised sedan or wagon like the Outback, Forester, Volvo XC70, Audi All-Road, or Ford Freestyle. Of this group, the Forester and Outback deliver the best value and the best reliability for the money.

If the absolute lowest price, brand-new, is a factor, check out the Suzuki SX-4....AWD starting at 15-16K ( U.S. dollars ). The SX-4 ( see my review ) is well-built and has a nice dash switch that shuts off the AWD and runs it in FWD mode when you don't need the extra traction and want better mileage and acceleration instead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-27-07 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 07:31 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. In addition to its low-profile tires providing poor impact protection for the alloy wheels in Calgary's potholes, the 3-series doesn't have enough ground clearance for deep snow. In fact, even some Subarus don't, such as basic Imprezas and Legacys. For real snow, the best bet, short of an actual tall SUV, is a raised sedan or wagon like the Outback, Forester, Volvo XC70, Audi All-Road, or Ford Freestyle. Of this group, the Forester and Outback deliver the best value and the best reliability for the money.

If the absolute lowest price, brand-new, is a factor, check out the Suzuki SX-4....AWD starting at 15-16K ( U.S. dollars ). The SX-4 ( see my review ) is well-built and has a nice dash switch that shuts off the AWD and runs it in FWD mode when you don't need the extra traction and want better mileage and acceleration instead.
He can swap out the tires NYC is the pothole capitol, and get just as much snow... He will be ok
Old 01-27-07, 07:54 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 06 A4 and its the best awd car!(note that Im in MI)

Quick Reply: New (used) car considerations... AWD