Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to acquire majority stake in Lotus, Proton

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 01:57 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
its not anemic even in steet car, let alone in lightweight Elise. I had the engine in Corolla, which was around 1,000lbs heavier than Elise, and loved it to death.

I had a lot more fun with that engine than my Turbo 1zz in MRS, just because engine was so fun.

Most people commenting about it never rode in the car with 2zz and are just commenting based on some mag reviews they read.
Maybe just personal opinion. BTW, I have a 2ZZ in my Matrix too. Don't really like it, but it gets the job done as a beater.
Old 01-26-07, 01:57 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Toyota publishes some of them in their New Car Features manual. The 2GR-FSE in the IS350 is 399 lbs installed. The 4GR-FSE in the IS250 is 397 lbs installed. Both these numbers include oil and coolant. These are available at techinfo.toyota.com.

The weight of the 2ZZ is in the 2003 Celica New Car Features at 120kg (265 lbs) for the automatic version. The 1ZZ is listed in the 2003 Corolla New Car Features at 233.7 lbs installed. That's not too shabby for the class.
Not too shabby indeed, I couldn't find the same information for the 2.0T...oh well.
Old 01-26-07, 02:05 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

how about you, for once, publishing info on what you write? 2zz engine anemic? It is perfect engine for Lotus.

Did you ever drive an vehicle with 2zz? Of course not.
I've driven both an Elise and a Celica and in the Celica it was anemic, and that is definately the word I would use to describe it. Of course in the much lighter elise, it wasn't anemic. But the engine itself lacks power and that was evident in the top end acceleration of the elise and in the lower RPMs.

I can imagine the straight line performance of the elise being around 20%-30% better with the VW 2.0T engine with it's much flatter power and torque curves and also higher peak hp and torque (which is available at very low RPMs).
Old 01-26-07, 02:08 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

its not anemic even in steet car, let alone in lightweight Elise. I had the engine in Corolla, which was around 1,000lbs heavier than Elise, and loved it to death.

I had a lot more fun with that engine than my Turbo 1zz in MRS, just because engine was so fun.

Most people commenting about it never rode in the car with 2zz and are just commenting based on some mag reviews they read.
I most definately am not commenting based solely on some mag reviews, I've driven Corolla's, Celicas, MR2 Syders, and an Elise and I am definately not impressed with that engine at all. I was impressed with the Elise's chassis and low weight, not so much it's engine.
Old 01-26-07, 02:12 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mavericck
But the engine itself lacks power and that was evident in the top end acceleration of the elise and in the lower RPMs.
Do you mean "top end" as of vehicle speed (130 mph + acceleration) or engine speed (pass 6000 rpm)? Because the 2ZZ sure "feels" pulling harder once the cam profile switched when rpm swings high enough.
Old 01-26-07, 02:13 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Do you mean "top end" as of vehicle speed (130 mph + acceleration) or engine speed (pass 6000 rpm)? Because the 2ZZ sure "feels" pulling harder once the cam profile switched when rpm swings high enough.
Top end acceleration and top speed (which is due to lack of hp) and at low engine speeds the lack of torque is evident as well.
Old 01-26-07, 04:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Lucky VW or should I say Porsche seeing Porsche is buying up more of VW now.
Old 01-26-07, 05:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I most definately am not commenting based solely on some mag reviews, I've driven Corolla's, Celicas, MR2 Syders, and an Elise and I am definately not impressed with that engine at all. I was impressed with the Elise's chassis and low weight, not so much it's engine.
you certainly didnt drive MR2 with "that" engine, since it was never put in the MR2, except for few hundred MR2 fans who did it themselves.

Yeah, Elise is dead slow with its 4.4 sec 0-60 and 13.2 1/4 mile...

even more so, over 6k, 2zzg is crazy fast engine, something that has to be experienced to be believed...

Nice story.
Old 01-26-07, 06:10 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

you certainly didnt drive MR2 with "that" engine, since it was never put in the MR2, except for few hundred MR2 fans who did it themselves.

Yeah, Elise is dead slow with its 4.4 sec 0-60 and 13.2 1/4 mile...

even more so, over 6k, 2zzg is crazy fast engine, something that has to be experienced to be believed...

Nice story.
I never called the Elise "dead slow"...quit putting words in my mouth. I said it lacked top end acceleration and low end grunt. basically you have to rev the crap out of it to get any power. They have decent acceleration times and 1/4 mile times but there are better engines they could have put in the elise, such as the 2.0T. The only reason the Elise makes those good acceleration times is because of its' low weight.

Maybe it wasn't in the MR2 spyder (my mistake), but it was in the Celica and I've described how I felt about that car and its' engine. I've experienced it and I believe it was a decent engine for the elise but it could have been better if it had more power for top end acceleration.

cheers
Old 01-26-07, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I never called the Elise "dead slow"...quit putting words in my mouth. I said it lacked top end acceleration and low end grunt. basically you have to rev the crap out of it to get any power. They have decent acceleration times and 1/4 mile times but there are better engines they could have put in the elise, such as the 2.0T. The only reason the Elise makes those good acceleration times is because of its' low weight.

Maybe it wasn't in the MR2 spyder (my mistake), but it was in the Celica and I've described how I felt about that car and its' engine. I've experienced it and I believe it was a decent engine for the elise but it could have been better if it had more power for top end acceleration.

cheers
I dont need to put words in your mouth, you are doing fine yourself...

What speed did you drive elise at?
Old 01-26-07, 06:48 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I dont need to put words in your mouth, you are doing fine yourself...

What speed did you drive elise at?

You're right I am doing fine with the original words that I said and I don't need someone to start saying that I said something that I didn't. At about 100mph you could feel the acceleration start to taper off and by about 120mph or so it was really running out of steam and I could tell it would take a while to reach it's top speed of around 140mph or so.

BTW your last sentence could really use the word "the" in it.
Old 01-26-07, 07:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You're right I am doing fine with the original words that I said and I don't need someone to start saying that I said something that I didn't. At about 100mph you could feel the acceleration start to taper off and by about 120mph or so it was really running out of steam and I could tell it would take a while to reach it's top speed of around 140mph or so.

BTW your last sentence could really use the word "the" in it.
at least I didnt say I drove 2zz MRS, did I?

You are right about elise in that sense - it is not built to go over 200kmh, which is why it does fine 0-60, 1/4 mile.

I am not so sure that turbo elise would be better - strong turbo like in 2.0 VW engines would offset delicate balance of car, definetly would not help in autox, and of course, at high rpm, turbo's run out of steam, and 2.0T engine doesnt have significantly more torque or power than 2zz engine at high rpms, and its rev limiter hits some 1.5k lower than Elise's.

p.s. please dont spell check me - it is internet forum, not english class. Not using "the" properly doesnt compare well to claiming to drive the car that never existed.
Old 01-26-07, 07:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

but to move back to original topic, it is good for Lotus that they will finally get some development money, so things like Lotus Europa dont repeat again...
Old 01-26-07, 07:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing maybe now Lotus will have semi-auto so like the DSG for lazy people like me *drools*

Just too bad Toyota did not buy Lotus/Proton would of been nice.
Old 01-26-07, 07:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing maybe now Lotus will have semi-auto so like the DSG for lazy people like me *drools*

Just too bad Toyota did not buy Lotus/Proton would of been nice.
Lotus DSG, heh :-). Oxymoron there, but I am sure VW will milk it every way it can :-).

Quick Reply: VW to acquire majority stake in Lotus, Proton