Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Considering Retaining Soft Top For M3 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 06:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default BMW Considering Retaining Soft Top For M3 Convertible

WINDING ROAD’s inside sources confirm that BMW’s M Group is considering retaining a soft top design for the forthcoming M3 convertible, which would eschew the E92 platform’s latest folding hard top design on the 335i and 330i convertibles.

As BMW launched their new 3-series convertible in Arizona last week (we were there for the launch–look for our test drive in next month’s WINDING ROAD), questions continued to crop up concerning the top’s weight disadvantage. BMW loads extra pounds on the excellent 3-series coupe chassis by moving to Edscha’s folding top design, which is beautiful and quiet by any measure. But, 440 pounds is 440 pounds is 440 pounds.

For the more discriminating M Group within BMW, saving weight will be one of their top priorities. Some keen observers would probably suggest that BMW should instead drop their V-8 engine idea if they really wanted to save weight, but we digress. With the V-8 engine on the way for both the M3 coupe and convertible, weight savings will be especially important. Right now the company is working to develop a special soft top which would withstand the M3’s high speeds while retaining high levels of interior quietness.

Another option on the table at the moment, according to our source, would be to keep the folding hard top concept, but with carbon fiber panels and carbon fiber arm extensions. This would be costly, for sure, but it would achieve a higher level of interior noise reduction without much weight.
source : windingroad
Old 01-26-07, 06:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i understand their position, but after i got my top sliced and my emanage controller screen stolen from my MRS, dont really dig the whole soft top thing anymore...
Old 01-26-07, 06:57 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am glad they aren't using the Folding hard top for the M3 for the sake of weight.
Old 01-26-07, 07:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
I for one am glad they aren't using the Folding hard top for the M3 for the sake of weight.
that is certainly true, but at the same time, if you really are up to all that M3 could offer, performance wise, wouldnt you use coupe anyway?

Casual users would miss structural rigidity and superior comfort and durability of hard top.

But then again, M3 shouldnt be for casual drivers, should it? :-)
Old 01-26-07, 07:36 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
that is certainly true, but at the same time, if you really are up to all that M3 could offer, performance wise, wouldnt you use coupe anyway?

Casual users would miss structural rigidity and superior comfort and durability of hard top.

But then again, M3 shouldnt be for casual drivers, should it? :-)
I think most M3 consumers are looking for power and bling. Few see a track. So it makes sense to offer the coupe, vert, sedan and wagon. A lot of men need to haul the family around and cannot justify a weekend toy.
Old 01-26-07, 10:17 PM
LexFather

WHo cares, M converts are for people who just want to say "I have a M3". Hard or softop.
The weight of these M cars is getting ridiculous. The M6 convert weighs NO JOKE 4300lbs.
That is more than a GS 450h and damn near as much as a LS 460!

Old 01-26-07, 11:13 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i understand their position, but after i got my top sliced and my emanage controller screen stolen from my MRS, dont really dig the whole soft top thing anymore...
That alone is why I could never do the ragtop thing. I'd be pissed!! Well except for that new Jag XK .

I understand weight reduction for M models but I personally feel Luxury drops should all feature metal roofs at this point. Whether carbon fiber, aluminum or steel, cloth should no longer be in production for convertibles in excess of 50k. In the words of the of the great Mike Tyson, "It's ludicrous". Especially with VW's Eos and even Miatas featuring hardtops. BMW finally caught up to MB and Lexus in regards to a hardtop convertible and now their considering axing it for arguably their most important convertible, all in the sake of weight reduction.
Old 01-27-07, 01:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Cant believe the 335i Convertible weighs over 4,000lbs!! Thats insane. A bigger V8, chassis improvements probably add an additional 100 or so lbs.

Would seem kinda backwards if the M3 has a soft top while lesser models have a hard top. There idea of using carbon fiber would be pretty cool. Something they should definitely look into, but Im guessing would raise prices significantly.
Old 01-27-07, 02:03 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLaw
That alone is why I could never do the ragtop thing. I'd be pissed!! Well except for that new Jag XK .

I understand weight reduction for M models but I personally feel Luxury drops should all feature metal roofs at this point. Whether carbon fiber, aluminum or steel, cloth should no longer be in production for convertibles in excess of 50k. In the words of the of the great Mike Tyson, "It's ludicrous". Especially with VW's Eos and even Miatas featuring hardtops. BMW finally caught up to MB and Lexus in regards to a hardtop convertible and now their considering axing it for arguably their most important convertible, all in the sake of weight reduction.
So I take it you don't like the F430 spyder, the Gallardo spyder, and the Murci Spyder because they have soft tops?
Old 01-27-07, 03:41 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
WHo cares, M converts are for people who just want to say "I have a M3". Hard or softop.
The weight of these M cars is getting ridiculous. The M6 convert weighs NO JOKE 4300lbs.
That is more than a GS 450h and damn near as much as a LS 460!
Yet it flies like hell !
Old 02-01-07, 03:43 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autospies.com/news/Spies-...le-news-12081/

Pretty cool if it's true.
Old 02-01-07, 04:25 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by picus
Expect a huge price premium over the coupe if it's a carbon roof. Actually, does the next gen M3 coupe/sedan have a carbon roof like the M6?
Old 02-01-07, 06:18 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
Expect a huge price premium over the coupe if it's a carbon roof. Actually, does the next gen M3 coupe/sedan have a carbon roof like the M6?
We don't know yet.
Old 02-01-07, 07:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Solution? Carbon fiber hardtop convertible!!!

Nice...
Old 02-01-07, 07:59 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Either way, the E92 is still ugly.

Quick Reply: BMW Considering Retaining Soft Top For M3 Convertible