Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feb 07 C&D Family Sedan Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 10:49 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
You owned the previous generation Accord and you don't own the Camry. Where do you get your facts from again?
No I owned the current Accord, and have extensive seat time in the new Camry.
Old 01-27-07, 10:52 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

You owned the previous generation Accord and you don't own the Camry. Where do you get your facts from again?
My mistake on the 03.

However, even the Ford Fusion poll (which nobody seems to like here - and no was not done by C&D like their other ones) people preferred the Accord over the Camry - oh and the Accord outsells the Camry when you take out fleet sales - so even individual customers prefer it over the Camry!!!!
Old 01-27-07, 11:03 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

My mistake on the 03.

However, even the Ford Fusion poll (which nobody seems to like here - and no was not done by C&D like their other ones) people preferred the Accord over the Camry - oh and the Accord outsells the Camry when you take out fleet sales - so even individual customers prefer it over the Camry!!!!
okay, first the Camry sold 39,539 vs the Accord's 29,886 last December.

second, I don't think the Suburu plant has begun building Camries yet.

third, you assume the new Camry is being sold to fleets at the same level as the previous model.

C&D writes like the Accord is a perfect car, the reality is far from it. Actually I owned the 02 Accord before someone totaled it. And I much prefered the 02 Accord's interior (excluding the audio) and heavier steering compared to the 03 Accord's.

From my experience the new Camry is the best car for the money. Anything cheaper is an econobox, and anything more expensive suffers from the laws of dimishining returns. Quite frankly I don't consider the Accord to be in the same league as the new Camry.
Old 01-27-07, 11:04 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

come to think about it this explains why the LS460 scored last in C&D's recent comparo. the writers are clueless, no suprise why they could never find real jobs.
Old 01-27-07, 11:15 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones

third, you assume the new Camry is being sold to fleets at the same level as the previous model.

C&D writes like the Accord is a perfect car, the reality is far from it. Actually I owned the 02 Accord before someone totaled it. And I much prefered the 02 Accord's interior (excluding the audio) and heavier steering compared to the 03 Accord's.

From my experience the new Camry is the best car for the money. Anything cheaper is an econobox, and anything more expensive suffers from the laws of dimishining returns. Quite frankly I don't consider the Accord to be in the same league as the new Camry.
Judging by what I see on the rental car lot, I have no reason to believe that the fleet sales percentage has dropped.

You may not like the Accord, but let's face it, it provides a more rewarding experience for the driver and as you will see below - the mag is called Car & DRIVER.

come to think about it this explains why the LS460 scored last in C&D's recent comparo. the writers are clueless, no suprise why they could never find real jobs.
Or maybe Car & DRIVER - cares more about how cars drive?
Old 01-27-07, 11:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I do, I owned the car and it doesn't deserve a 1st place win. The new Camry is a much better vehicle.
The reason why I say "who cares if the accord wins first" is because it's a magazine comparison. If an accord wins first, people will say C&D is biased and that they do not know a thing about cars. If the Camry wins, the biased comments and such are suddenly disregarded and then the camry gets congratulated.

Remember this review is judged by humans just like you and me. They all have their preferences. Car and driver is more concerned with performance/driving than most anything else. If you want a review for bang for the buck, quietness, etc, then Consumer Reports is what you'll want to look at, not C&D.

Thats why no one should care who wins first because you're ultimately going to buy a car based on your needs, not on what the journalists say.
Old 01-27-07, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

The accord is on its last straw. The Camry had just came out less than a year ago. I would hope that the Camry outsells a car that is on its last year. We'll have to compare the results once the 8th gen accord comes out.

I wouldn't expect the Camry's fleet sale to change dramatically. Fleet owners love the camry for their dependability. They're going to buy a lot of camrys regardless. Honda on the other hand, do not sale to fleet, and if they do, it's a very very very small number (less than 800 last year I believe..i'll have to check up on that).
Old 01-27-07, 12:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an insurance agent, over the last 5 year, I see my clients buying 3 times more camrys than accords..
so let the comsumers says the truth...
Old 01-27-07, 01:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by blacksc400
so let the comsumers says the truth...
The consumers are telling the truth

For the last 5 years or more, The Camry has always been the number one seller, but Toyota commercial doesn't tell you that they factored in fleet sale. Consumers, like you and i, buy more accords than camrys. Now if I could only find that info again
Old 01-27-07, 01:20 PM
LexFather

These are family cars. Not sure why some mags want you to think they are sports cars. LMAO.
I'm worried about space, trunk room and the newest tech and safety.
I'm going for the Camry. The Accord is 5 years old. Clearly, it holds more than its own but I am not buying an Accord b/c its sporty.

Old 01-27-07, 01:32 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I know The Accord and Camry are always on the top in car sells but the Altima has come a long way 6 years ago they didn't even have a V6.
Old 01-27-07, 01:32 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

C&D often puts the emphasis of their reviews on aspects the average consumer doesn't give a flying crap about; this one is no different. My mom never complained about her Corollas "non-responsive steering" or oversteer, all she cares about is that it's reliable, quick enough, gets good mpg, and carries all her stuff .
Old 01-27-07, 01:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Loved this comment
"If fit and finish ceases to be Toyota’s obsession, what will define the company’s products? We shudder to imagine"
I actually agree with that comment. The fit and finish on the new IS and GS downright sucks, and the new ES appears to be a rattle box. Even the new LS460, in my opinion, does not feel as solid as LS430 or SC430.
Old 01-27-07, 01:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The consumers are telling the truth

For the last 5 years or more, The Camry has always been the number one seller, but Toyota commercial doesn't tell you that they factored in fleet sale. Consumers, like you and i, buy more accords than camrys. Now if I could only find that info again
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=198

Old 01-27-07, 02:01 PM
LexFather

I need to start bookmarking things like that

Quick Reply: Feb 07 C&D Family Sedan Comparo