Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

B4 you chip that 335.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Manufacturers are smart to be able to detect engine mods and to void warranties because why should they fix engine damage from mods they don't authorize?

The days of modding an engine or in any mechanical, electronic or electrical way and keeping a warranty are numbered. Only a matter of time before the car keeps track of when the battery is disconnected, when a fuse is removed, when a wire is cut, etc.
Old 01-27-07, 02:50 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the software gurus at BMW did their coding right and thought of a boost tuning change down the road, it would indeed be lights out for tuning.
If the car has a set boost value, and it exceeds it, it may throw a new value into a private memory location that only BMW has decoding for. Condition flags aren't that hard to setup.

Then from there until a tuner is fully capable of reading and writing in BMW's (im guessing proprietary) format, then you'd be SOL. There's a whole bevy of things the coders could have done to ensure that any deviation from stock at all would result in a failed permanent checksum.
Old 01-27-07, 04:14 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Taken from a BMW dealership employee...(taken from VWvortex)

Quote »
I just had a conversation with the BMW Field Engineer assigned to my dealership regarding 335s. It's been known for a long time that when a technician connects diagnostic equipment to a vehicle, a report is generated that contains the 'vehicle order' and each night all of the day's reports are transmitted to BMW. The vehicle order is contains all of the information about vehicle control units including their hardware version and all of the binary coding for them.

BMW has developed a tool that compares the vehicle order of each 335 to the known vehicle order at time of manufacture. Any deviations in the binary coding of the DME automatically alert engineers that the code requires further inspection. If the code related to boost has been altered to create a high-boost scenario, the engine warranty is immediately terminated.

To date, they have terminated 54 warranties.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We will surely see more of this in upcoming months as it hits people on forums but IMO, very similar to how Mitsu was terminating warranties on Evo's when they found about people tracking/dragging them
lol, ftw!

Also, this makes DINAN look great as his products are warrentied.
They only void the engine warranty (if all this is true) which I think is very reasonable. This is very different from Mitsu who voids all warranty period if you track/drag the car.

This won't deter the real ballers. They are going to do it anyway. Other chickens like me would wait for the warranty to end then mod it or go with Dinan.
Old 01-27-07, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
They only void the engine warranty (if all this is true) which I think is very reasonable. This is very different from Mitsu who voids all warranty period if you track/drag the car.

This won't deter the real ballers. They are going to do it anyway. Other chickens like me would wait for the warranty to end then mod it or go with Dinan.
i thought you said you will sell BMW when warranty goes out? :-)
Old 01-27-07, 10:19 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
There is a difference between changing/flashing the ECU and using a Xede, which does not alter the ECU in any way. Luckily Xede's are available.

Besides, until I actually hear of an owner losing his warranty...well, it's only as good as the time it takes to type it. AFAIK the vishnu xede has been installed in quite a few cars and no one has reported any warranty issues.
All it takes is a datalogger to write information to memory in a seperate module. Any computer tech guy with a little hardware knowledge could EASILY write up a design to know when ANY changes are made to the default settings; from outside sources like a XEDE or a chip.

Unless the XEDE is specifically designed to intercept ALL signals being saved into memory; then it isn't going to help.

I understand your cautious approach... but all it takes is a little memory readout to say the boost, ignition timing, or fuel tuning went WAY out of factory normal specs. Using a XEDE isn't going to alter the datalogging; IF the car has that; which it'd be very easy to do.
Old 01-28-07, 07:24 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know enough about how the ECU of a car works to comment, all I can do is reference the guy who does.

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Yes, what you quoted is indeed an issue when it comes to reflashing your ECU since doing so does alter the DME code. Even reflashing back to stock will leave traces of tampering. Fortunately, our approach does not modify the ECU in any way. Just the signal that come into and go out of the ECU. And all the signals that are recorded (those going into the ECU) are within normal operating parameters so that they wont raise any red flags if/when looked at.

But Zoeb2s had it right in the end, if you truly are concerned about your warranty above anything else, leave your car stock

Cheers,
shiv
Old 01-28-07, 08:19 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait until one of the more experienced Audi/VW ecu tuners come into this market.

many Audi / VW engines are tuned such as 1.8T, 2.0T, etc ... and they have developed methods to 'hide' the code changes from regular service checkups, and even have ways to program different modes, e.g. standard mode, 95ron, 100 ron mode!
Old 01-28-07, 09:17 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the world of FASTA. we've already replaced a rear turbo in a 335i and i think we've replaced a motor in another one. I think both of them were done under warranty.

Imo, Shiv@Vishnu has the best approach to modifying the 335i's boost and other settings on the car without have to reflash or encode the DME. Anytime the DME has been re-encoded it registers a new part number for the control unit which is visible to the BMW technican support guys whenever the FASTA data is sent over when dealing with a problem. Even if its been reflashed back to stock they can tell how many times the control unit has been programmed and if that is not in the vehicles history for the dealership, it has obviously been flashed elsewhere.
Old 01-28-07, 10:21 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HKGS300
Wait until one of the more experienced Audi/VW ecu tuners come into this market.

many Audi / VW engines are tuned such as 1.8T, 2.0T, etc ... and they have developed methods to 'hide' the code changes from regular service checkups, and even have ways to program different modes, e.g. standard mode, 95ron, 100 ron mode!
This is true...BMW's are a bit new to this game...
Old 01-28-07, 11:47 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

The days of modding an engine or in any mechanical, electronic or electrical way and keeping a warranty are numbered. Only a matter of time before the car keeps track of when the battery is disconnected, when a fuse is removed, when a wire is cut, etc.
If a company penalizes you for disconnecting a f'ing battery I wouldn't buy their product to begin with!

Oh yeah, and I'd mod the BMW anyway...
Old 01-28-07, 12:04 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i thought you said you will sell BMW when warranty goes out? :-)
yep, that's another good option also.
Old 01-28-07, 12:19 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

yep, that's another good option also.
What'll be its' replacement?
Old 01-28-07, 12:35 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
What'll be its' replacement?
another one with warranty.
Old 01-28-07, 12:58 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

another one with warranty.
haha alright. A banglized one? or a the previous gen.? Because I would imagine it would be a little bit difficult to find a previous gen. with a facory warranty these days. Thought about extending your warranty?
Old 01-28-07, 03:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Manufacturers are smart to be able to detect engine mods and to void warranties because why should they fix engine damage from mods they don't authorize?

They already log when the battery is disconnected. The big difference between the old ECMs and the new ones is the new ones are time aware, and the old ones are not.

Besides all this - if you want to mod, be a man about it and accept responsibility for the results of your mods. BMW/Lexus/etc. did not sign up to sponsor your racing program just because you bought a car from them. I despise warranty fraud.

Quick Reply: B4 you chip that 335.....