Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

B4 you chip that 335.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 12:08 PM
LexFather

Unhappy B4 you chip that 335.....

Taken from a BMW dealership employee...(taken from VWvortex)

Quote »
I just had a conversation with the BMW Field Engineer assigned to my dealership regarding 335s. It's been known for a long time that when a technician connects diagnostic equipment to a vehicle, a report is generated that contains the 'vehicle order' and each night all of the day's reports are transmitted to BMW. The vehicle order is contains all of the information about vehicle control units including their hardware version and all of the binary coding for them.

BMW has developed a tool that compares the vehicle order of each 335 to the known vehicle order at time of manufacture. Any deviations in the binary coding of the DME automatically alert engineers that the code requires further inspection. If the code related to boost has been altered to create a high-boost scenario, the engine warranty is immediately terminated.

To date, they have terminated 54 warranties.

Old 01-27-07, 12:12 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch......

wonder if they saw that one coming?
Old 01-27-07, 12:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow that sucks, but its reasonable.

Older cars with none of those gadgets for the win!!
Old 01-27-07, 12:15 PM
LexFather

We will surely see more of this in upcoming months as it hits people on forums but IMO, very similar to how Mitsu was terminating warranties on Evo's when they found about people tracking/dragging them
Originally Posted by GSteg
Wow that sucks, but its reasonable.

Older cars with none of those gadgets for the win!!
lol, ftw!

Also, this makes DINAN look great as his products are warrentied.

Old 01-27-07, 12:17 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

That's why you set it back to it's default setting before you go to dealer.
Old 01-27-07, 12:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mavericck
That's why you set it back to it's default setting before you go to dealer.
That is what some have said but it seems they (the dealers) can still tell something was tampered with.

Old 01-27-07, 12:20 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Come on now, what did people think? BMW was just gonna be like, "sure lets let our 335i owners flash thier car, put exhaust, tune it and run wiht M3s which cost a hell of alot more." I've said this since the beggining(do a search), BMW does not want this car being compared to the M3 in any performence way. They want to keep thier M3 owners happy and pist off when a 335i blows past them.
Old 01-27-07, 12:44 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There is a difference between changing/flashing the ECU and using a Xede, which does not alter the ECU in any way. Luckily Xede's are available.

Besides, until I actually hear of an owner losing his warranty...well, it's only as good as the time it takes to type it. AFAIK the vishnu xede has been installed in quite a few cars and no one has reported any warranty issues.
Old 01-27-07, 12:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
There is a difference between changing/flashing the ECU and using a Xede, which does not alter the ECU in any way. Luckily Xede's are available.

Besides, until I actually hear of an owner losing his warranty...well, it's only as good as the time it takes to type it. AFAIK the vishnu xede has been installed in quite a few cars and no one has reported any warranty issues.
Are you gonna chip, or not? Or maybe wait for Dinan? Or have you chipped ?

Old 01-27-07, 12:51 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for bringing the good news revelation.
Old 01-27-07, 12:51 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Are you gonna chip, or not? Or maybe wait for Dinan? Or have you chipped ?
I have not modified the internals of my car in any way yet except the addition of coilovers. I am not certain what I will do come spring; since the AT only has one oil cooler I am going to wait until I get more km on the car to decide.

FWIW, I am not saying this isn't true. In fact I would guess that it probably *is* (to some extent, I don't know about voiding 54 warranties), but until someone who actually owns the car can confirm it I remain skeptical. We all remember the "omg they all overheat" thing in October that turned out to be totally bogus.
Old 01-27-07, 12:54 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

FYI: 10char.

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Yes, what you quoted is indeed an issue when it comes to reflashing your ECU since doing so does alter the DME code. Even reflashing back to stock will leave traces of tampering. Fortunately, our approach does not modify the ECU in any way. Just the signal that come into and go out of the ECU. And all the signals that are recorded (those going into the ECU) are within normal operating parameters so that they wont raise any red flags if/when looked at.

But Zoeb2s had it right in the end, if you truly are concerned about your warranty above anything else, leave your car stock

Cheers,
shiv
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

yeah, but they could still possibly track that as well...
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm not surprised. I went over to the VW dealership today to get my cousin an oil filter for his Golf VR6 and on the wall in Spanish they had a noticed about adding certain types of aftermarket parts and the negative effectives on vehicles under warranty.
Old 01-27-07, 12:57 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, but they could still possibly track that as well...
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Yes, what you quoted is indeed an issue when it comes to reflashing your ECU since doing so does alter the DME code. Even reflashing back to stock will leave traces of tampering. Fortunately, our approach does not modify the ECU in any way. Just the signal that come into and go out of the ECU. And all the signals that are recorded (those going into the ECU) are within normal operating parameters so that they wont raise any red flags if/when looked at.

But Zoeb2s had it right in the end, if you truly are concerned about your warranty above anything else, leave your car stock

Cheers,
shiv
Again, until an actual owner confirms it this remains as "real" as the overheating issues at the track in Illinois.

Quick Reply: B4 you chip that 335.....