Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will my oil be in "good" condition?
Yes! Your oil will be good. Changing every 3k miles or 3 months is stupid!
14.71%
No! Your oil will beyond recognition. So full of metal it won't even be able to be analyzed!
85.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 07:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't the recommendation every 5000 miles OR 6 months, whichever is first...
Old 01-29-07, 07:41 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, the scheduled maintenance on Jaguars is free at the dealership, just like it was on my BMW M3, so I'm not trying to save money... Honestly I just rarely drive the car and had not even realized that it had been almost 3 years... I thought it was like 1.5 years... The car runs like a dream, never had a single problem with it, that's why it has never been to the dealership or had a single service (Couldn't say the same for my E46 M3 though )...

Anyway, I usually just change my oil once a year regardless of mileage, so this 3 years thing with my Jag is an anomaly... I know it's not a good idea to go past 1 year for oil changes...

The other interesting thing is I am probably going to buy the car when the lease expires this August...
Old 01-29-07, 07:47 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A few major problems, the first of which is, whatever the condition of the oil or your engine, you will totally void your warranty on the IS - as you already have on the Jag. Regular oil changes are a condition of your vehicle's warranty. Any engine problems you may experience, for whatever reason, will be on you.

Back in the 1920's there was a school of thought that dictated you never changed oil, only the filter. The logic was that the high temperature of the engine actually refined the lubricant as you drove. As strange as it sounds today, it was probably true back then. Oils were pure mineral oil (or "Rock Oil") that consisted of nothing but lubricant. In those days engines turned much slower, with far lower compression, wider tolerances, and lower stresses than a modern powerplant. Cars driven long distances, primarily on the highway really did not require frequent oil changes. That was then, this is now.

Today's engine oils are more than half "additives", including stabilizers, detergents, surfactants. anti-wear, anti-foam agents, and a dozen other components that clean, protect, lubricate, and cool your engine. These components "wear out", sacrificing themselves on the job. When they're gone, your oil is no longer performing its mission.

Your low mileage application, infrequent driving, short distances, and heavy applications of throttle are the worst possible operating conditions for an internal combustion engine. Without a long interval of highway driving, water condenses into the oil and is not boiled away. Dilution of the lubricant, loss of detergents and other cleaning agents, not to mention the scuffing your cylinders are probably taking probably means you will reduce your vehicles to smoldering heaps before your reach that 15,000 mile mark.

Despite their light usage, the service you describe is considered "heavy duty service" because of the above conditions. You should observe the 5K mile interval religiously. Even in extremely low mileage situations, most oil companies recommend a change every six months.

We used to have a fellow on the RX forums who constantly bragged about "his" oil (he was a MLM dealer) and its miraculous properties. It NEVER needed changing. I think it was at about 23,000 miles his engine seized. A new engine was the solution (at something like $13,000) and he was stunned. He was REALLY mad when Lexus refused to honor his warranty as he'd never changed his oil. He posted several diatribes on CL about Lexus, and their lousy quality product and terrible service, but his previous posts came back to bite him. "His" oil, backed by a "full replacement warranty", proved to be no warranty at all. The manufacturer of the product wouldn't even answer his correspondence. He was stuck with a $13,000 coffee table. We haven't heard from him since. I wonder if he changes his oil now?
Old 01-29-07, 08:04 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Lil4X: Thanks for the interesting information... I totally agree that short trips are very harsh on the engine... Please don't think I'm disputing any of what you say, and definitely don't think I'm advocating 3 year oil change intervals... I just want to share my finding as I have not seen anyone go this long with factory oil before...

Funny story about that guy and "his" oil... hehe... To me oil is oil... I really don't care... I have no idea what oil is in my Jag as it's from the factory... I'm pretty sure it's not synthetic though... I guess Blackstone will have the answers...

I am going to change the oil today... I called my local shop and told them to have a clean container to store the oil until the blackstone kit arrives... Believe it or not, I'm actually slightly nervous! hahah
Old 01-29-07, 01:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

If this one is a keeper, I'd be nervous too.

Mobil 1 says modern oils are 80 percent base stock and 20 percent additives with their own base stock which is where you get into the thick of 100% synthetic or not because the additives are rarely in synthetic base stock. I learned a whole lot about this reading Mobil's case against Castrol a few years ago. IMHO, I still don't know beans about oil though, other than what has worked for me, and that any synthetic beats conventional oil on extended drain intervals. If I really want to know something I go to bitog and sift through the holy wars about oil.
Old 01-29-07, 02:06 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Audis on the Longlife Service Plan will go 20k miles between oil changes but even they say that if you haven't got to 20k within 2 years, change the oil anyway as it will start to degrade after that. I'd get it changed asap.
Old 01-29-07, 03:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
ll these encourage the users to take their cars to service without guessing, and keep the car better maintained.
yet they still have more problems than other makes. Preludeonline admin's 03 745 navigation system has been replaced 4x, the water pump failed at 52k causing the engine to seize and probably needs replacemant or a big repair, thank god he had an extended
Old 01-29-07, 04:12 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yet they still have more problems than other makes. Preludeonline admin's 03 745 navigation system has been replaced 4x, the water pump failed at 52k causing the engine to seize and probably needs replacemant or a big repair, thank god he had an extended
Well, then I guess we are pretty lucky on our old 330xi then. Other than couple burnt tail light bulbs and an additional qt of synthetic oil every 5k miles, there's no issue with the car after 58k miles. And it saved my wife's life, too.

Prelude has its own fair share of problem too. The differential-type device on the Type SH, the tail lamp, and the premature deterioration of the trunk's weather strip. But this is off topic and I am not into BMW bashing.
Old 01-29-07, 05:24 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

changing oil is a lot cheaper than changing engine
Old 01-31-07, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why pay for an analysis when you can change the oil to start with for the same money?

Farraaz23 is correct.....this thread is a joke.
Old 01-31-07, 05:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

It's not about money...

If you think this thread is a joke then just move on, we don't need you here...

Last edited by Technique; 02-01-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 08:35 PM
gategem
Driver School Candidate

I use mobile one on all three of my cars. My ’87 Vette is rarely driven so I change the oil and filter once a year when I get it inspected. My 2004 Maxima and 1992 SC400 I do every three months. I could probably go 6 months on the SC400 and Maxima but it doesn’t pay to skimp in this area.
Old 02-01-07, 03:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
It's not about money...

If you think this thread is a joke then just move on, we don't need you here... BYE!
Sorry...perhaps I labeled it wrongly It's not so much the idea of the thread itself being a joke as the idea of oil changes that extended...even with synthetic. In most cases, it's best to go 3000-5000 miles depending on driving conditions. Maybe a little more with synthetic...but even with synthetic, though the oil doesn't break down as quick, the packages in it do.
Old 02-01-07, 09:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Guys keep it cordial please.
Old 02-01-07, 10:22 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is weird.. Ive been changing my oil about every 10,000 miles and I havent had ANY major issues with my 93 ls other than routine maintenance. The car has had mobil 1 since 20k miles and im now on 190k. The synthetic causes much less friction in the engine and doesnt need to be changed that often. on average I go about a year to a year and a half before i change it.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...