Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will my oil be in "good" condition?
Yes! Your oil will be good. Changing every 3k miles or 3 months is stupid!
14.71%
No! Your oil will beyond recognition. So full of metal it won't even be able to be analyzed!
85.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 02:00 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry...perhaps I labeled it wrongly It's not so much the idea of the thread itself being a joke as the idea of oil changes that extended...even with synthetic. In most cases, it's best to go 3000-5000 miles depending on driving conditions. Maybe a little more with synthetic...but even with synthetic, though the oil doesn't break down as quick, the packages in it do.
No problem, it's my bad, I misunderstood you...

I just want to clear up that I am not advocating any oil change intervals with this thread... The only reason I started this thread is out of curiosity, because I don't know anyone who has left the factory oil in their new car for almost 3 years... The analysis is just to see the result!

I didn't do this on purpose either... I really just don't care/think too much about the maintenance of my newer cars... Never had a problem either...
Old 02-01-07, 02:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

IMO, it really brings up a good discussion point. OCI is related to service life and possibly efficiency since oil thickens as it dies. If I am in a leased car, why would I care about the ultimate service life of the car? It's essentially a rental, and why would I treat it any differently? I know I don't care about a rental. I get in, I drive, and if it has issues I really don't care as long as I get where I need to go when I need to be there. If it breaks down, I don't care, they're bringing me another car (I only care if it makes me late to an appointment.)

So, if I'm leasing the car, I know I have no intention of keeping it, so why would I even bother to go an inch past mandatory maintenance, and wouldn't I have incentive to stretch the maintenance events as far apart as possible? Every day my car is in the shop, my TCU goes up because I am not in my car (unless they have free loaners), and I'm leasing to lower my TCU.

I would not treat a keeper like this. But a lease? I probably wouldn't spend an extra dime on synthetic unless it came with the regular service. I wouldn't get the regular service unless it was a condition of the lease, I'd extend it as far as I can without violating the contract. Isn't the whole point of leasing to reduce OOP expenses?
Old 02-01-07, 02:49 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, leave it to Technique to cause a holy war on CL.
I'm glad it's the Jag that's the guinea pig, and not the IS, now we can apply your learnings going forward (seems like an episode of Mythbusters).
FWIW, you are better off turning in your Jag at the end of the lease, regardless of this oil change episode. Very rarely does it make financial sense to buy a car coming off lease, as I'm sure you are well aware . . .
Old 02-01-07, 03:09 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

lobux: you have an excellent point! And that's basically the way I feel... I really don't think about the maintenance... It's just like a rental car... And given how rarely I drove the car, it made no sense for me to bother with maintenance...

Here's an example... They gave me 3 key fobs... 2 of them have died... I got a letter from Jaguar stating that there is a recall on the key fobs, it's a known issue... I checked the serial # of the fobs and the 2 that died are covered... The 3'rd one is still working an unaffected...

I have NOT gone to the dealership to get the 2 replaced free of charge because I don't care... All I need is 1 working key, and it's not worth my time to go to the dealership 15 minutes away...

I bought the car to drive when I wanted, that's it... That's the reason I leased it, because I don't want to think about it...
Old 02-01-07, 03:14 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
LOL, leave it to Technique to cause a holy war on CL.
I'm glad it's the Jag that's the guinea pig, and not the IS, now we can apply your learnings going forward (seems like an episode of Mythbusters).
FWIW, you are better off turning in your Jag at the end of the lease, regardless of this oil change episode. Very rarely does it make financial sense to buy a car coming off lease, as I'm sure you are well aware . . .
heh, it really is like an episode of mythbusters huh? If only I had that cute chick from the TV show to "assist" me

As far as the buying a car at the end of the lease, you are right... BUT, it only has 8000 miles on it! I feel crazy giving it up... Plus the car is still so tight and perfect... No rattles, and it's great for driving 5 people to a nice Sunday night dinner... My other cars are all more "sporty", like the IS350... So that's why I was thinking I'd just buy it... Residual is like $25k or something I think...

I guess I could lease another car... I'm thinking about the V-8 E-class, but I am afraid to get another benz... I don't want the thing to break... That's why I've been so happy with the Jag...
Old 02-06-07, 03:35 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Got the Blackstone kit today... Going to have the oil changed Friday and will send it off the same day... So, figure about 2 weeks for the results... Any special requests for pictures/vids to be taken of the process?
Old 02-09-07, 10:51 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

OK, so, please stop the PMs... Today I changed my oil, officially! The mechanic said "It looks normal" but, that means nothing since we are talking about time and water content etc... He followed the directions exactly also and took the sample "mid-stream"... Anyway, I must say, the oil looked normal to me, in fact, it was lighter than a "normal" oil change for me... We'll have to see what black stone says... I priority mailed it, so we should have the results in just a few days....
Old 02-09-07, 11:22 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Is it that you truly don't have the time? Or are you just plain old lazy?

I don't think its the former since you have time to post the justification of your actions (or inactions) on CL.
Old 02-10-07, 04:23 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Is it that you truly don't have the time? Or are you just plain old lazy?

I don't think its the former since you have time to post the justification of your actions (or inactions) on CL.
heh, same difference IMHO... But, ya, I'm also lazy...
Old 02-10-07, 09:51 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
heh, same difference IMHO... But, ya, I'm also lazy...
Fair enough
Old 02-12-07, 04:41 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Here are the results, they emailed them to me today. Maybe someone can chime in and interpret them / shed some light on this.

Old 02-12-07, 05:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The text report looks very similar to the report I got on my 1st UOA at 5K miles. Your actual numbers look pretty high at first glance. Compare them to my report below.

I think the really valuable info would have been from a TBN test (which it doesn't look like you asked for).
Attached Thumbnails 1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...-uoa.jpg  
Old 02-12-07, 06:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
The text report looks very similar to the report I got on my 1st UOA at 5K miles. Your actual numbers look pretty high at first glance. Compare them to my report below.

I think the really valuable info would have been from a TBN test (which it doesn't look like you asked for).
I'm going to call them first thing in the morning and see if they can do the TBN test... Nobody said "Make sure you do the TBN test" so I didn't think to do it... It seemed to be a test more for comparison of multiple samples over time... Oh well...
Old 02-12-07, 06:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
I'm going to call them first thing in the morning and see if they can do the TBN test... Nobody said "Make sure you do the TBN test" so I didn't think to do it... It seemed to be a test more for comparison of multiple samples over time... Oh well...
Hopefully they still have the sample, but I would be surprised. However, there were MANY "hints" about the TBN test mentioned in the thread, since that is the test for remaining additives.
Old 02-12-07, 06:14 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It turns out that lobuxracer did mention the TBN.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You do realise he leases cars and doesn't exceed the mileage limitations? He's essentially renting the car for the lease period, and really couldn't care less about the condition of the engine when it is returned. Unless there is something in the contract that says he has to follow the recommended maintenance or suffer a penalty, why not? Also, lets say the penalty is $250 for not doing the oil changes once a year. Bet it's cheaper to pay the penalty.

We're all enthusiasts here and we all like to baby our cars. I think Technique is very practical from a dollars and cents perspective, as well as a personal time wasted perspective. We just wouldn't do it his way because we see the car as an important investment. He sees it just like anyone would see a rental.

So, my bet is the oil is going to be bad if you send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis because the TBN will be way too low from water and acid contamination. Send it off, and let us know!

Quick Reply: 1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...