Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will my oil be in "good" condition?
Yes! Your oil will be good. Changing every 3k miles or 3 months is stupid!
14.71%
No! Your oil will beyond recognition. So full of metal it won't even be able to be analyzed!
85.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 01:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That German Castrol is the best thing I ever put in my RX300, very smooth. Too bad they don't sell Amsoil down here, as I would like to use their ATF.
Acording to lobuxracer (and others), our transmission fluid can't realistically be changed (ever).

EDIT: I was assuming you were talking about a 2IS. I have no idea about the other Lexus's's.
Old 02-15-07, 01:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Acording to lobuxracer (and others), our transmission fluid can't realistically be changed (ever).

EDIT: I was assuming you were talking about a 2IS. I have no idea about the other Lexus's's.
I think you may also have that World Standard WS fluid.

The RX300 uses a Type-IV as the stock fluid, but I have never heard of a single issue from using the Amsoil ATF in the tranny in our vehicles, in fact I have seen nothing but positive comments. I change mine out at least once a year (because I race my little RX).
Old 02-15-07, 02:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

So was the report good/bad/average?

Double thread backfire if it turns out to be good/average
Old 02-15-07, 03:02 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
So was the report good/bad/average?

Double thread backfire if it turns out to be good/average
Well, the engineers comments on the report says it's good, so I guess the oil is good and it was totally fine to wait 3 years...

BUT, I want to get an "analysis" of the numbers/TBN from the knowledgeable people on the forum, because I might be mistaken...
Old 02-15-07, 05:27 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, your UOA showed 2 interesting things. Assuming the factory fill was dino oil, contrary to popular opinions - dino oil *can* be used for longer OCIs, especially since your TBN was decent. But since your oil had such high mineral content, it's probably prudent to change out the factory fill at the recommended interval, just to purge the break-in debris from the motor. Not sure which oil your mechanic used, but it would be interesting to see what your next UOA looks like on the jag - knowing you, it'll be 5 yrs and 15k miles from now . . .
Old 02-15-07, 05:47 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My guess is that Blackstone will say that any results are "as expected" when it is a break-in oil that is changed within the recommended mileage. The only thing that was reported as "strong" was the TBN. That doesn't necessarily mean that the engine is in as good of shape as it would be if you changed the oil each year.
Old 02-15-07, 06:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

socal and gernby: I agree with both of you... I think the moral of this story is that oil can definitely go longer than most people think...

As far as the 2nd oil change on the jag, well, I am probably going to turn the car in at the end of the lease at the end of the summer, but if I keep it, well, I wouldn't change the oil till 20k mile at least, which is probably like 10 years from now :-)

I'll post a similar thread when I change the oil in my IS350... That will be at least 12 months, and close to 15k miles on the break-in oil... The following change after that will probably be another 12 months and the odo will be close to 30k...

Of course, I'll have the analysis+TBN done
Old 02-15-07, 06:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

It doesn't sound like you really agreed with me. My opinion was that just because Blackstone said the results were as the expected, I don't think your engine is in as good of shape as if you changed it earlier. If you look at the metals in your oil, some of them are WAY higher than mine were.
Old 02-16-07, 01:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

I am really surprised the TBN was so high. You could have gone even longer. Wow!
Old 02-16-07, 07:27 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Are you saying that my jag had synthetic oil in it from the factory?
The factory fill for Jaguar, Landrover is Castrol SLX sold in the UK.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7008962
Old 02-16-07, 08:08 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
It doesn't sound like you really agreed with me. My opinion was that just because Blackstone said the results were as the expected, I don't think your engine is in as good of shape as if you changed it earlier. If you look at the metals in your oil, some of them are WAY higher than mine were.
I do agree with you... I know that if I had changed the oil every year, there would have been a little less metal in the oil... So yes, my engine would have been in better shape...

However, I think the difference is almost trivial.. Meaning... How much better shape would my engine have been in? The answer is "who knows"? How do you measure such things? Really, I think maybe we're talking a few percent difference at best...

So I do agree that it would have helped a little, but the end result might be engine failure at 300,000 miles instead of 280,000 miles... or something like that...
Old 02-16-07, 08:15 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I am really surprised the TBN was so high. You could have gone even longer. Wow!
I know, I should have waited the full 10k miles, but I will probably turn the car in right around that time so I wouldn't have changed it... But something about "exactly 3 years" had a nice ring to it...

Anyway, I hope this has been a good experiment... I think the final verdict of this episode of mythbusters is that regular dino oil, in low mileage environments that are considered "severe driving", can go several years without being changed...

Myth busted!
Old 02-16-07, 08:26 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Thanks for getting the test donw!