Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will my oil be in "good" condition?
Yes! Your oil will be good. Changing every 3k miles or 3 months is stupid!
14.71%
No! Your oil will beyond recognition. So full of metal it won't even be able to be analyzed!
85.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 09:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...

I own an IS350, and I don't plan on changing the oil until about 15k miles or 1 year...

The point of this thread is my 2005 S-Type Jaguar 4.2 V8... I purchased it back in spring of 2004. It's a March 2004 build. It still has the factory oil in it... I don't drive it that much, mostly stop and go for errands on the weekends. So pretty harsh on the engine. Average trip is less than 1 mile... It is about to turn 3 years old and I decided I'd change the oil now, when the car has around 8000 miles, even though the scheduled maintenance is not until 10000 miles

Anyway, I know people in the IS forum will be curious, but I wanted to post here in the general forum since it's a non-lexus car...

BUT, I've never sent oil in for "analysis", so I wanted to ask people where I should send it in... Is there a "Best Place" do to so?

Also, I've started a poll, very simple... Do you think my oil will still be in good condition after almost 3 years of sitting in the engine and being driven in only stop and go traffic for VERY short runs... The car has over 8000 miles, and will probably have about 8500 by the time I send the oil in next month...

Oh, btw, I floor my car almost every time I drive it... I don't baby it at all...

Last edited by Technique; 01-28-07 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-28-07, 09:11 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is a joke, right?
Old 01-28-07, 09:16 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

lol... This from the same person who says proper break-in procedure is to drive it like you stole it. C'mon guy... 3 years???
Old 01-28-07, 09:24 PM
jaime.g
Driver School Candidate

i call bs on this
Old 01-28-07, 09:36 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

it's only 50 bucks to change oil and 45K for a new car. Change it as you are making a favor to the guy that buying your car.
Old 01-28-07, 10:03 PM
LexFather

My peer at work just got her oil changed in her CLK 350. IT cost $130 bucks. Synthetics and all. But it was at 15k miles.

I do 5k miles.

Old 01-28-07, 10:05 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I say wait for another 3 years.
Old 01-28-07, 10:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I was doing with Mobil 1 about 3,000 to 3,500 miles given that I race. Now I switched over to 0W30 German Castrol and we will see just how good this miracle oil is (it has been a miracle thus far).

However, 3 years????!!!!

Oil should at least be changed out once a year, regardless of mileage. Case in point. My cousin has not driven his 1995 VW Golf VR6 for almost a year, been working on it, painting, modifications to the engine, etc. Smelled the 0W40 Mobil 1 on the dipstick and it smelled like s...t and looked like dark chocolate fudge. When we started the car up, felt like eating a Chocolate Suicide (or whatever they call that dessert). Dump that oil out and refresh it.

Last edited by Lexmex; 02-01-07 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-28-07, 11:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

You do realise he leases cars and doesn't exceed the mileage limitations? He's essentially renting the car for the lease period, and really couldn't care less about the condition of the engine when it is returned. Unless there is something in the contract that says he has to follow the recommended maintenance or suffer a penalty, why not? Also, lets say the penalty is $250 for not doing the oil changes once a year. Bet it's cheaper to pay the penalty.

We're all enthusiasts here and we all like to baby our cars. I think Technique is very practical from a dollars and cents perspective, as well as a personal time wasted perspective. We just wouldn't do it his way because we see the car as an important investment. He sees it just like anyone would see a rental.

So, my bet is the oil is going to be bad if you send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis because the TBN will be way too low from water and acid contamination. Send it off, and let us know!
Old 01-29-07, 05:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So, my bet is the oil is going to be bad if you send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis because the TBN will be way too low from water and acid contamination. Send it off, and let us know!
OK, I requested the kit from Blackstone Labs... Says 2-3 weeks for delivery... I'll keep you posted when it arrives and take pics of the oil when I drain it...
Old 01-29-07, 05:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

You're worried about metal particles in the oil? I'd be worried about water...

This is why I never buy used cars. You can rarely trust that the previous owners properly maintained them.
Old 01-29-07, 06:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

blackstone labs is probably one of the best places for an oil analysis

Oil will deteriorate in an engine regardless of mileage its time that rots it, I didnt change my oil one time in my prelude for 6 months (only went 3k miles in that time) and when it came out it was disgusting. Time aged it bad
Old 01-29-07, 06:52 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

You cant do that to a brand new IS350. Just change the oil on time, even do it yourself if your looking to save the huge costs.
Old 01-29-07, 07:03 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

There is a grey area between 3k/3k being stupid and going three years.
Old 01-29-07, 07:04 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

That's why BMW holds its used car value better. Original owners or the drivers who lease the car prepaid for the "free" maintenance, and there's a computer in the car calculating when the car should be in service by factoring in how the car was driven (usually over 10K miles due to the larger oil capacity and very good OEM oil filter). All these encourage the users to take their cars to service without guessing, and keep the car better maintained.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change - 3 years after delivery...