Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What if Lexus never was? New type of thread where we ponder if things were different.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 10:39 PM
LexFather

Default What if Lexus never was? New type of thread where we ponder if things were different.

Not sure if anyone remembers the marvel comic "What If" but it basically was a monthly series with a random question and the story would answer it.
For instance "what if Peter Parker became Venom"? Things like that.

So I thought it would be pretty cool if we thought and spoke about "What If' with autos, here in Car Chat.

So for the first "What if"......
What if LEXUS never existed?

In this alternate future, let us say Toyota decided NOT to join the luxury party. No LS, no LEXUS. What would be different???? I know this can get very broad but here are some thoughts.
1. Customer service for all auto companies would be 10 times worse than today.
2. Quality for auto companies would not have increased from 1990 levels.
3. The other 2 Japanese luxury car companies would be in worse shape in regards to sales and respect.
4. Styling would be boxier. We might even still see exposed black bumpers on luxury cars.
5. The car based SUV would either not be created or just now created.
6. No car would have electroluminescent gauges

Overall, I think cars would still have gotten better but not to the extent of the golden age we live in today. I also do not think any other company would replace Lexus as one of the big 3. Well maybe Cadillac.

What would you be driving????

I probably would be driving a Nissan or Infiniti or Acura.

Old 01-28-07, 10:56 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1-Luxury car makers would be making cars that are more poorly built than yugos and charging bently-like prices for the name plate.
2-we (well, you guys in the US) would not know the thing of beauty that is a modern japanese V8
Old 01-29-07, 03:46 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Good thread, 1SickLex. I agree with most of what you said except for #3. Without Lexus, even if they hadn't improved to where they are now, Acura and Infiniti would still probably have better sales than they have now. There is a market for those who want luxury and performance but who have no interest in the German brands. Even you said you'd probably be driving a Nissan, Infiniti, or Acura...
Old 01-29-07, 04:17 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I'd probably be in a 330xi
Old 01-29-07, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

No RX300??????

This is roughly the situation I have in Mexico. NO LEXUS. We have Acura (not every vehicle sold in their range though (lacking TSX and RDX) and Infiniti only sells the Q45.

Down here BMW and to a lesser extent now Mercedes and Audi are the kings of luxury. Acura still has not established itself well in luxury and Infiniti is a disaster.

Cadillac is also a joke here along with Hummer.

I probably would also have a BMW under this situation as even the MDX isn't stylish enough for me.
Old 01-29-07, 06:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think I'd be driving a Infiniti or Acura as well.. They would virtually take the lead in consumer sales and be number one like Toyota/lexus is today. My infiniti or Acura would be modded just like my GS is.. But the auto industry wouldn't be the same without Lexus..
Old 01-29-07, 06:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wouldve bought an acura
Old 01-29-07, 11:38 AM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have had a 540i w/o Lexus. Maybe after several trips to the shop, I might have traded it in for a 07 Camry SE...
Old 01-29-07, 01:16 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GStateOM
I would have had a 540i w/o Lexus. Maybe after several trips to the shop, I might have traded it in for a 07 Camry SE...
And then you'd be dealing with the Camry's transmission issues...Or did they address those issues for 07'?

Last edited by mavericck; 01-29-07 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 01:21 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by GStateOM
I would have had a 540i w/o Lexus.
Same here, I would have bought a 540i if Lexus did not exist.
Old 01-29-07, 01:22 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mavericck
And then you'd be dealing with the Camry's transmission issues...
Yep , that's IF I went for the V6

wow, never realized life w/o Lexus would be so difficult...
Old 01-29-07, 02:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

I think Acura & Infiniti would have higher sales, & Mercedes Benz would probably still be the #1 luxury brand sales leader in the US & the world, & I would probably be driving a Mercedes & an Infiniti right now.
Old 01-29-07, 02:55 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then this thread wouldn't exist either...
Old 01-29-07, 03:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No LS, no LEXUS. What would be different???? I know this can get very broad but here are some thoughts.
1. Customer service for all auto companies would be 10 times worse than today.
I don't know, I hate the local Lexus dealership. Local Infiniti and Acura are way better.

2. Quality for auto companies would not have increased from 1990 levels.
Well, I don't know, I think Acura does certain things better than Lexus. The Legend was an amazing car, and debuted before Lexus.

3. The other 2 Japanese luxury car companies would be in worse shape in regards to sales and respect.
Why is that? They would get all the potential Lexus customers.

4. Styling would be boxier. We might even still see exposed black bumpers on luxury cars.
Not sure if this is necessary a bad thing. I'm growing tired of today slick rounded shapes, and cheap plastic bumpers. But if anything, I don't think the slickishly retarded shapes of many of todays car have anything to do with Lexus.

5. The car based SUV would either not be created or just now created.
And how is that a bad thing?

6. No car would have electroluminescent gauges
I don't know about that, but FYI early Lexus gauges are the most unreliable terrible POS. They burn out before the car even reaches 100K, needles get stuck, and the stealership charges thousands to repair them. If anything, Lexus should be slapped with class action suit for putting in a POS for a gauge cluster in $50K vehicles.

Overall, I think cars would still have gotten better but not to the extent of the golden age we live in today. I also do not think any other company would replace Lexus as one of the big 3. Well maybe Cadillac.

What would you be driving????

I probably would be driving a Nissan or Infiniti or Acura.
I would probably drive Acura RL.
Old 01-29-07, 03:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Toyota itself would be drastically different...

Without Lexus, I can see Toyota evolving by itself significantly:

1) SEDANS: Yaris to Corolla to Camry to Avalon to one ultra-sedan. The Camry may have a "limited" version that would be similar to the ES, and the Avalon would have a "limited" version that would be similar to the GS. There may be an ultra-sedan bigger than the Avalon, such as ones found in Japan (the Toyota Century Royal was nice...). Perhaps that would have made its way into the U.S.

2) HYBRIDS: Prius, Camry, and Highlander hybrids would be unaffected.

3) COUPES: Yaris coupe to Celica/tC to Solara to Supra/Soarer. The Solara may have a "limited" version similar to that of an ES coupe. The Supra would probably have lived on, being the performance halo that Toyota needs. The first gen SC could have been under the Toyota badge (hmmm... Soarer...) which would have been a more lux Supra-esque coupe.

--This is the most significant change: I think that if Lexus was not created, Toyota could have focused more on performance coupes over luxury sedans, and could have dominated the performance segment.--

4) SUVs: Rav4 to FJ Cruiser to Highlander to 4Runner to Sequoia to Land Cruiser. The SUV lineup would be unaffected (as it covers a breath and depth of functions), but may have "limited" versions similar to the RX, GX, and LX.

5) TRUCKS: Tacoma and Tundra would be unaffected.

6) VANS: Sienna would be unaffected, although a bigger lux van may be available...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-29-07 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: What if Lexus never was? New type of thread where we ponder if things were different.