Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Trades Reliability For Profit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 01:50 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Funny thing is, if a BMW owner goes in before their scheduled oil change, they have to pay $150 for the unscheduled oil change..I will wait lol... The scheduled maintainence does include wiper blade change, rotors, brake pads, oil, tire rotation, and a loaner.
Price must've gone up. 3 years ago, it was $75, if memory serves me right.
Old 01-29-07, 01:53 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Funny thing is, if a BMW owner goes in before their scheduled oil change, they have to pay $150 for the unscheduled oil change..I will wait lol... The scheduled maintainence does include wiper blade change, rotors, brake pads, oil, tire rotation, and a loaner.

It's about $100 or something like that for my Audi's if I did the same. The computers are usually pretty accurate in determining when you should take your car in for it's scheduled maintenance. I've followed the computer scheduled maintenance for my A6 for over 20k miles and I haven't had a problem.
Old 01-29-07, 01:57 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You folks do realize Porsche does not have free maintenance and recommends the 15k oil interval.

I don't think this is about saving a buck. More about wasting oil. I suspect most consumers do not want to get an oil change every 12 weeks. Loan car or not, they have better things to do.
Old 01-29-07, 02:23 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
You folks do realize Porsche does not have free maintenance and recommends the 15k oil interval.

I don't think this is about saving a buck. More about wasting oil. I suspect most consumers do not want to get an oil change every 12 weeks. Loan car or not, they have better things to do.
I think Porsche and BMW's engines have larger oil capacities plus they have recommended synthetic oil only. Maybe these are the difference.

However, Porsche and some BMW models are also known for burning oil. You may need to add a quart of oil every 2000 miles to the Porsche and about 5~6K miles to the non-M BMW depends on the driving habit. I guess if you put in some fresh oil into the engine from time to time when the oil level gets a little low then it is another good way to lengthen the time line between oil change.
Old 01-29-07, 02:28 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Lexus charged me $90 for oil change also, and that's excluding putting the oil cap back to where it belongs, plus they want me to wait at the lounge instead of giving me a loaner. I am taking the RX to my buddy at the Toyota dealer for service in the future.
Old 01-29-07, 03:15 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I love how people think that keeping oil in your car in excess of 10k is good!

Its not the oil that goes bad but the additaves in the oil that protect your engine. They don't last forever! Geeze. And here I was uncomfortable with 5k oil changes. Those guys really are.. well, special? LOL maybe thats BMWs pitch.. Engine breaks down which causes you to buy another Bimmer cause you just LOVED the driving experience!!
I know what mean. My friend's 325i changes his oil at around 8k miles and the last time I changed it there was only about 1/2 quart left. Apparently, his oil just burns off, he uses Mobil 1 too.
Old 01-29-07, 03:20 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vin 78
I know what mean. My friend's 325i changes his oil at around 8k miles and the last time I changed it there was only about 1/2 quart left. Apparently, his oil just burns off, he uses Mobil 1 too.

I call BS on this one. 1/2 a quart left? Yeah right. No car would run on 2 quarts much left 1/2 a quart.
Old 01-29-07, 03:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I change synthetic in my GS430 every 2,500 miles, and dino in my LS400 every 2,000 miles. I don't care how long oik can last, it still gets dirty. I don't take the to stealerships, I take them to a local shop, so oil change are cheap.
Old 01-29-07, 03:51 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vin 78
What year is your friend's 325i? Because from E46 and on it seems like if the oil level is about 1.5 qt down it's going to trigger the "check engine oil" light on the dash. I said 1.5 qt because I will check the dip stick immediately when the light is on, and at that time it's just a little under the "E" mark. After pouring a qt back into it then it's going to bring it back to 3/4 between the "E" mark and the "F" mark.
Old 01-29-07, 03:54 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I call BS on this one. 1/2 a quart left? Yeah right. No car would run on 2 quarts much left 1/2 a quart.
Ha... I have heard story about a Civic or Honda travelling on the interstate and the driver keep driving when the check engine light came on. After 120 miles when he stopped for gas he opened the hood and saw the oil filter is gone and there's no engine oil left in the engine. I will take it with a grain of salt.
Old 01-29-07, 04:02 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Ha... I have heard story about a Civic or Honda travelling on the interstate and the driver keep driving when the check engine light came on. After 120 miles when he stopped for gas he opened the hood and saw the oil filter is gone and there's no engine oil left in the engine. I will take it with a grain of salt.
The oil light on most car comes on when the car is down about a quart.

The car still has plenty of oil to drive hundreds of miles.

I suspect the Civic had the oil light on for months. And the engine would blow up way before the oil was all gone.
Old 01-29-07, 04:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil light on most car comes on when the car is down about a quart.

The car still has plenty of oil to drive hundreds of miles.

I suspect the Civic had the oil light on for months. And the engine would blow up way before the oil was all gone.
If the car really had no oil filter I'd say he lost all the oil within a couple of miles of that 120 miles traveled. I don't see how you can retain any oil without an oil filter for 120 miles much less for months.
Old 01-29-07, 04:22 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
If the car really had no oil filter I'd say he lost all the oil within a couple of miles of that 120 miles traveled. I don't see how you can retain any oil without an oil filter for 120 miles much less for months.
I think the poster was kidding? If there is no filter you have a big hole.

Are we all three agreeing?
Old 01-29-07, 04:28 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Did you read my last sentence in that post?
Old 01-29-07, 04:29 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We are in agreement. Although I think the OP stated he read the story on the internet. The story may or may not be true though. I will say that just out of high school my friend drove his Gran Prix to the point where when we drained the oil only 0.5 quarts came out. The reason why he asked for help was because his car would only go about 20 MPH up hill when flooring it. No oil was detected on the dip stick. We did the oil change and was shocked The car actually ran fine after we changed and filled the oil.

Quick Reply: BMW Trades Reliability For Profit!