Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Trades Reliability For Profit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 04:34 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
We are in agreement. Although I think the OP stated he read the story on the internet. The story may or may not be true though. I will say that just out of high school my friend drove his Gran Prix to the point where when we drained the oil only 0.5 quarts came out. The reason why he asked for help was because his car would only go about 20 MPH up hill when flooring it. No oil was detected on the dip stick. We did the oil change and was shocked The car actually ran fine after we changed and filled the oil.
Incredible. MY neighbor who is an attorney has a friend that is also an attorney. His friend bought a new Audi and never checked the oil, ignored the light and blew up the engine at about 25k miles. Says he was to busy with court and his divorce to deal with cars.

No worries though. Audi is fixing the A6 right up for the tiny sum of $13k.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 01-29-07 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 05:22 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum is getting worse by the day.

FWIW, my unscheduled oil change cost is $90 CAD. BMW will pay for an oil change after one year regardless of the mileage. I just did my complementary after break in oil change. I will post my oil analysis if anyone cares.
Old 01-29-07, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by vin 78
I know what mean. My friend's 325i changes his oil at around 8k miles and the last time I changed it there was only about 1/2 quart left. Apparently, his oil just burns off, he uses Mobil 1 too.
I'll let you guys in on a little tip here about oil levels and usage...something a lot of people don't realize.
Some engines may not APPEAR to be using oil when in fact they do. If you take mostly short trips at colder temperatures and never get the engine really hot for long periods, the moisture level building up in the oil brings the fluid level up a little on the dipstick and offsets somewhat the oil that the engine IS using. So, when you look at the dipstick ( cold, or after giving the oil a few minutes to drain, of course ), the fluid level may still be at or near the full mark when in fact the engine may have actually used some oil and the actual amount of oil remaining may not be that high...it is the moisture in the oil giving a falsely high reading on the dipstick.
That is why, when you are crusing on the Interstates at high speed for many miles or otherwise driving aggressively, in a way to really heat up our engine, you will notice that the oil level drops quickly, and the engine then APPEARS to burn a lot of oil off quickly, when, in reality, all that is happening is that the moisture is being evaporated by the heat, and what you are looking at is the ACTUAL oil level.

That is one ( among many ) reasons why you should change your oil more often with mostly short trips....the moisture stays in the oil more often and doesn't get vaporized out as much by the engine heat that builds up with longer trips. That, of course, dilutes the oil and lessens its effectiveness in lubricating.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 07:59 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
I call BS on this one. 1/2 a quart left? Yeah right. No car would run on 2 quarts much left 1/2 a quart.
Why not? I've seen cars run on zero oil - it doesn't run for more then a few minutes but it still runs.

I might have exaggerated on the 1/2 quart but it was definitely less then one quart, that's a lot considering the 325 takes some in the range of 6-8 qts (I can't remember) I dumped the old oil back into one of the Mobil 1 bottles and it didn't even fill up one.

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
What year is your friend's 325i? Because from E46 and on it seems like if the oil level is about 1.5 qt down it's going to trigger the "check engine oil" light on the dash. I said 1.5 qt because I will check the dip stick immediately when the light is on, and at that time it's just a little under the "E" mark. After pouring a qt back into it then it's going to bring it back to 3/4 between the "E" mark and the "F" mark.

It's an`03 325i, his oil light (i.e. dumb, dumb light) came on - that's why he changed the oil.

Last edited by vin 78; 01-29-07 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-29-07, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by picus
This forum is getting worse by the day.

Old 01-29-07, 08:19 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Why not? I've seen cars run on zero oil - it doesn't more then a few minutes but it still runs.

I might have exaggerated on the 1/2 quart but it was definitely less then one quart, that's a lot considering the 325 takes some in the range of 6-8 qts (I can't remember) I dumped the old oil back into one of the Mobil 1 bottles and it didn't even fill up one.

It's an`03 325i, his oil light (i.e. dumb, dumb light) came on - that's why he changed the oil.
Car engines will seize up without oil, that is a known fact.

Also, the idiot light will come on when you are half a quart low on oil.
Old 01-29-07, 08:23 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mavericck

Also, the idiot light will come on when you are half a quart low on oil.

Yes, I agree that's why I stated...
Why not? I've seen cars run on zero oil - it doesn't run for more then a few minutes but it still runs
Now if you need me to be more clear about it, then: ...the engine will stop working.
Old 01-29-07, 08:24 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I agree that's why I stated...
He must have ignored that light for months then....
Old 01-29-07, 08:31 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

He must have ignored that light for months then....
He did. He commutes daily from LA to San Diego.
Old 01-29-07, 08:59 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Not if you take the car to the Max, with Z-max.
Old 01-29-07, 09:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

gonna have problems if someone thinks they can run a 335 on 15k intervals, turbos are even harder on the oil than N/A
Old 01-30-07, 06:19 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
gonna have problems if someone thinks they can run a 335 on 15k intervals, turbos are even harder on the oil than N/A
I guess we will just have to wait and see when the cars start asking for oil then.
Old 01-30-07, 06:45 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Why not? I've seen cars run on zero oil - it doesn't run for more then a few minutes but it still runs.
There is a sensor in the oil pan to detect if there is no oil, the engine will automatically shut off if this occurs. This prevents an engine seize if there is a major oil leak.
Old 01-30-07, 10:09 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

The lesson we learned today is, never buy a used BMW where the factory maintence was done per the book. Need to get an owner with detailed oil changed at half recommended.

BTW back when I was a kid and doing my first oil change on our 1990 Accord I ran the engine with no oil in it for a few minutes before I realized it had no oil in it! Luckily it had Mobil 1 Synthetic in it before I drained it (back then when it was the good 100% real synthetic stuff). So that commercial where they run the engines on Castrol Syntec after draining the oil, actually did hold some truth. Car was fine.

Last edited by toy4two; 01-30-07 at 10:16 AM.