Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2008 Pontiac G8 @ Chicago Auto Show (updated - Bright Red spotted pg. 3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 11:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Looks good I especially like the interior which is rare for a GM vehicle. GM is greatly improving their interiors design and materials wise with models like the new Caddy CTS, GMC Acadia, new full size SUVs and trucks, new Buick SUV, new malibu. I have yet to sit in and actually feel the interiors to see if the quality matches the looks but they are definitely going in the right direction. They are also bringing out cars that people actually want like rwd sports and luxury sedans and the Solstice/Sky roadsters which are comparing very well to the competition. It is good to see American companies bringing over cars only available outside of America to the U.S. because there is a market for those performance cars. Hopefully Ford brings over the Falcon from Australia. It has a nice interior, handles very well, and you can get either a powerful v-8 or twin turbo inline 6 in that rwd sports sedan. The European Ford Puma KA would be nice too.
Old 04-03-07, 01:39 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Picture of the Commodore (the car the Pontiac G8 is based off of)

That looks nice!
Old 04-03-07, 01:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Seize
Picture of the Commodore (the car the Pontiac G8 is based off of)

That looks nice!
From another angle :

Old 04-03-07, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Rear wing looks ridiculous but apart from that, looks HAWT!
Old 05-09-07, 09:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Spotted at Media event.

I'm still in the wilds of Wisconsin, but have non-track camera photos that might be of interest. Last night we got an early look at the all-new Pontiac G8 sedan and Buick Enclave crossover. Check out the photo album for some cell phone shots (we didn't know the cars would be there or we would've brought a better camera) below.

Some initial reactions:

The G8 is really nice. This red G8 we got a look at isn't a production model, but it's the most polished prototype I've ever seen. I can't believe the one that goes on sale at the end of the year will be different in the least. Perhaps, the new emblem will get some alterations. A Pontiac rep said the new, silver one is getting a lot of positive comments though.

The interior is far beyond any Pontiac in a long time, mainly because it's from Australia, but even still, it is an improvement from the GTO's interior. The armrests for example are padded in leather. The rear seats are quite comfy too.

The red really shows off the car's menacing look well, and looks a hundred times better than the grey show car from the Chicago auto show.

We did get some vague comments on the price of the G8 which should be in the low $30,000 range up to "around" $35,000 for the top of the line GT, but no one was announcing anything this far in advance of the on sale date.

The Buick Enclave was exactly what I expected; a very nice adaptation of the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia. There isn't more to really say. The layout is identical, the Enclave simply has nicer leather and trim pieces. The most obvious difference is the exterior styling which was quite nice in the maroon color of the display car.

Check out the cell phone photos here. I apologize for the low res. Feel free to ask me more questions in the comments below.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...c_g8_look.html
Old 07-05-07, 07:08 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

First Pontiac G8 prototypes completed

Wednesday 4 July 2007

GM Holden has announced today that the first Pontiac G8 engineering prototypes have been completed at the carmaker’s production site in the Australian state of Victoria, where they’ll undergo testing ahead of the G8’s US market debut early next year.

The first production versions of the G8 are due to roll off the line at the Holden plant in late 2007, with an estimated 620 cars to be completed each day. Along with the US, the Holden built sedans will also be sold in the Middle East, South Africa and parts of Asia. The export program will expand the model range at Holden’s Elizabeth plant to 18 domestic and 15 export vehicle lines.

The new G8 is the first North American model based on GM’s new Zeta RWD architecture, which was developed by a global team of engineers in Australia and will eventually spawn a range of new GM cars.
*source
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...pes-completed/

Old 07-05-07, 07:43 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM should just bring over the Vauxhall VXR8