Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Why did you choose your Lexus?
Style
6.67%
Comfort
6.67%
Value
46.67%
Reliability
40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Other Lexus converts from European manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 09:55 AM
ES300JAX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Lexus converts from European manufacturers?

After having owned/leased European sedans in the entry/mid level luxury market from various manufacturers I wanted something reliable and something that I could run into the ground that had low maintenance costs (now that I'm back in school full time) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the workmanship and overall feel of my car. I miss some of the bells and whistles of European sedans though..anyone else agree? Curious what other types of cars Lexus owners have owned in past and what brought them to Lexus?!?
Old 01-31-07, 10:00 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience has been that ANY performance car regardless of brand is expensive to maintain. The manufacturers of these vehicles use improved brakes, steering, suspension, tires, seats, etc.

To me, a more ecomical car is one with less performance. While I understand what you are saying, the reliability and maintenance costs are reduced by the type of car a Lexus is.

A Porsche 911 is one of the most reliable cars on the road, but the tires, brakes, etc. are quite costly and do not last as long due to the performance they offer.

Simply put, performance parts wear out faster. We are already seeing this with the IS. It rides rougher, tires wear out faster, and mosty likely will developed issues like rattles and electrical issues down the road due to the stiff suspension. It goes with the territory.

I am still driving my 97 ES. I have bought and will contintune to buy eurorpean cars at a rate of 3 to 1 over Japanese simple because I like them. But I admit they are more costly to maintain and I keep a Lexus/Toyota in the garage for running around town.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 01-31-07 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 10:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Total cost to own is a major consideration.

Initial cost and value can be high, but maintenance and long-term value, as well as insurance premiums, are more costly. European vehicles have to deal with such issues more so than Japanese vehicles...
Old 01-31-07, 10:14 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Total cost to own is a major consideration.

Initial cost and value can be high, but maintenance and long-term value, as well as insurance premiums, are more costly. European vehicles have to deal with such issues more so than Japanese vehicles...
Actually insurance costs on Japanese cars can be quite high. A lot higher than european. i.e Honda Accords/Civics, Acrua Integras are quite frequently stolen for parts since there are so many on the road.

Back in the early 90's I had an Integra that I traded for an M3. My insurance premiums went down by several hundred dollars.
Old 01-31-07, 10:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I would say all of the above. I personally have never owned a European car yet, but grew up riding in them (Parent's/relatives')
Old 01-31-07, 10:46 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

To be honest, my dad actually regret taking the W164 M-class instead of waiting for the RX350 down under last year.

What was standard on the top-spec RX350 Sport Luxury is still (!) an option on our M-class with the luxury pack & there were a couple of rough edges, especially in the inside (In the Lexus RX/ Toyota Harrier, even the smallest detail is paid attention to.). Other than the engine & handling (Good points.), the W164 didn't feel like a real Merc (Not a good thing, especially if you're paying around AU$ 104,000 for a luxury car.).

To be honest, me & my dad still think that the Japanese build much better cars (And take pride in their work.) & also implement technologies a little more reliably (Nothing is 100% perfect in this world. Just better cars.) & more importantly, with more efficiency (e.g. Ease of use.) than some european car makers.
Old 01-31-07, 10:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Reliability. I actually was looking for a vehicle that I could take to Mexico and would be reliable. Other considerations were that I need a 4x4.

The hinging decision was the fact that Toyota was opening their doors in Mexico. My previous vehicle was a 1990 325ic, very reliable little car that didn't give me issues.
Old 01-31-07, 11:50 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

For me, it was a mixture of value as well as perceived reliability.

Last edited by ff_; 02-01-07 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-31-07, 02:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

For me it was reliability and style.

I was in the market for a used car - BMW 540i, MB E420, Lexus GS400. They were all in the same general price range, so price was not a factor.

I liked the style of the GS the best out of all three, but the reliability swayed me the most.
Old 01-31-07, 05:24 PM
ES300JAX
Driver School Candidate

I have to say the mechanical reliability and quality of a/c, interior furnishings, etc after 100K beats any of the European cars I had (A6, C class and E class) and the maintenance is a breeze...the cost savings in repairs were a huge consideration for me. I'm really happy with the choice I made. Just saw the new 07 ES and it is packed with some great features and at a fraction of the cost of European competitors.....the "a la carte" philosophy with options hasn't hit Lexus and I hope it never does as it just increases cost!
Old 01-31-07, 07:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I would say all of the above.

+1

I love the style/looks of my IS350, the reliability, comfort, & value were just clinchers in my buying decision
Old 02-01-07, 02:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me I went to Lexus mostly for the reliability. My wife was pregnant with our first child and I didn't trust the BMW enough, so I traded it in for a Lexus. I loved the BMW drive, but hated the anticipation of what might go wrong even if nothing major ever did go wrong. I like the Lexus mostly because I got into the VIP EXE stye and I like they way certain Lexus models look when modified that way. I really do miss the BMW driving feel though. After owning them, then not owning them, experiencing the ownership experience of Lexus, Acura, BMW and other brands, I came to the conclusion that I probably will own another BMW again and the driving experience is worth it. The Lexus is still on the list for the reliable daily driver, but I want/need another fun to drive car.