Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS460 on Oprah today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 11:12 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who thinks the the LS460 and ES350 look "completely different" is either blind or is simply fooling themselves. Are they different? Of course. Completely? Not at all. Completely different implies they share absolutely no styling cues, which they do indeed. Now, an STI and LS460 do infact look completely different.
Old 02-01-07, 11:57 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Just saw one today for the first time. My God, what a gorgous car. Absolutely the best looking car in the world. I fell when I slipped on the drool that hit the ground in front of me.
I think you need to pick up a car magazine one of these days and flip through the pages. You obviously haven't seen too many cars if you think the LS460 is the best car in the entire world!
Old 02-02-07, 02:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well it depends on best ____. If you are talking about most advanced, best integration of technologies...CNET seems to agree. If you're talking about best looking, I will say that IMO among the flagship sedans, the LS is one of the best looking ever created.

OK, back on topic...here's a summary of what happened:

http://carnewssite.com/2007/02/01/op...el-parking-ls/

On today’s episode of Oprah, which showcased some of the latest inventions and gadgets that help change our lives. Among the cool inventions was the new Lexus LS460, which had the ability to self-parallel park. Oprah, in the driver’s seat, took hold of command and tried out the system for herself. Her initial reaction? “How cool was that!” Some of the notable impressions that she made when she stepped into the vehicle was her amazement of the interior, in which she complimented on.

The entire parking process for Oprah took about 4 minutes, however, her foot was tightly snugged on the brakes. Also interesting was that not only did she press the Start button, but held it for quite some time, until she realized that it was already starting up. Hopefully someone will post the video on YouTube or something.
It was pretty funny, the Lexus exec made Oprah put on her seatbelt too. They parked between 2 IS sedans...
Old 02-02-07, 02:47 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the Oprah.com blurb on the segment and a pic.

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200..._350_107.jhtml

During her cross-country adventure with Gayle, Oprah revealed that she suffers from "interstate anxiety," "unpaved road anxiety" and "merging anxiety." Oprah also admitted a few other things she doesn't really like—night driving and driving over bridges.

Now, Oprah confesses to another driving roadblock. "So I will admit that I am not the best parallel parker, and when I heard about this new technology for your car, my producers said that I needed to see it," Oprah says.

With the help of Lexus Vice President of Sales Jim Colon, Oprah tries out the new Lexus that parallel parks itself. Once she's moved the car into a prime parking position, she puts it in reverse, which activates a rear camera to scope out the amount of space she has to park.

After confirming her position on a screen inside the car, Oprah hits a button and the car starts to move on its own. In a matter of seconds, the car is in the spot and Oprah hasn't lifted a finger! She puts the car in forward drive to straighten it out…and voila! "That is excellent!" Oprah says.
Thx for pointing this out PhilipMSPT!
Attached Thumbnails LS460 on Oprah today...-20070201_107_350x263.jpg  
Old 02-02-07, 12:02 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another good publicity for the New LS.
Old 02-02-07, 01:55 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Another good publicity for the New LS.
Old 02-02-07, 03:16 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I think you need to pick up a car magazine one of these days and flip through the pages. You obviously haven't seen too many cars if you think the LS460 is the best car in the entire world!
Not quite. I'm a certified car nut. I could draw any car to detail (avaliable in USA) by memory. As an industrial designer, I have a particularly keen sense of styling. I see a car once and the design is stamped in my brain.

The only cars that I would say may look better are some (not all) exotics (Lambo, ect.). But yes, with very few exlusions I think the LS is the best looking car available.

BTW, I've had 5 car mag subscriptions for about 12 years now.
Old 02-02-07, 03:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ramon
Anyone who thinks the the LS460 and ES350 look "completely different" is either blind or is simply fooling themselves. Are they different? Of course. Completely? Not at all. Completely different implies they share absolutely no styling cues, which they do indeed. Now, an STI and LS460 do infact look completely different.
Similarity in the sense that they both look like there from the same company?
Yes. But they don't share one part. Sure, they use similar styling cues but that's on purpose to create a cohesive brand. Just like M-B and BMW have done in their whole history.
Old 02-02-07, 06:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know, the more I see the new LS on the roads, it reminds me more and more of ES350 and Camry. The new S class looks horrendous, and 7 series has too much bangle cladding that spoils otherwise nice design.

Audi A8L however... Now that is one gorgeous car.
Old 02-02-07, 07:22 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Similarity in the sense that they both look like there from the same company?
Yes. But they don't share one part. Sure, they use similar styling cues but that's on purpose to create a cohesive brand. Just like M-B and BMW have done in their whole history.
We are talking about the way the cars "look" not the parts they use. My point is that they DO look similar and share similar styling cues. Weather it's done on purpose, or accident or weather or not they share parts is irrelevant.