Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New BMW 7-series will come with 8-speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 06:03 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
GOod points. Again though, if people are going to bish and moan about 8 speeds then
1. dual climate control
2. biger and bigger wheels and tires
3. More and more pistons on calipers
4. Hid and LED headlights..
5. the useless hp/torque in so many cars.

Luxury is about EXCESS. This is excessive, thus it belongs.
Well there is excess than there is excessive.
I want some luxury amenities but I don't want ones I'll never use. Let's say... TVs in cars. I will never find a need for that. Therefore you'll never see me put more than one screen in a car, and that one screen will be for navigation/ICE. I will never watch movies or TV in my car because... well I'M DRIVING. Music is understandable in car because you can listen to tunes while you drive, you can't watch TV while you drive. Well you could but than I'd have to kill you.
I wouldn't buy a multi-million dollar house for the sake of having a multi-million dollar house. I guess that comes with having grown up not having lots of money. I'm still learning how to manage my money well. And I'm just starting to be able to actually keep a savings instead of pretty much living check to check.
Not all of us here bathe in money, I sure as hell don't. But all of us will have an opinion, regardless if we can or can't afford the car. I know what I do and do not like and what I do and do not need.
Old 02-07-07, 06:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

interesting.... considering that 8 speed in LS got pretty good reviews from journalists, for being smooth, fast and great benefit in MPG, I really dont see what the problem is?

If you dont want the best in luxury, then you certainly dont have to buy luxury car that costs 70k-100k.

If you think 4 speed or 5 speed AT is fine, then you really need to look hard at cars such as Avalon which at 26k will satisfy everyone's need for comfy transportation.

Arguing that 90k luxury vehicle should have 5 speed AT is pointless. There are million of similar features that you can take out of LS, but then you end up in Avalon.
Old 02-07-07, 06:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

GOod points. Again though, if people are going to bish and moan about 8 speeds then
1. dual climate control

how about 4 zone climate control? How about body heat sensors? How about executive seating at the back? Or 19 speakers?

All of that makes an luxury car... an luxury car.
Old 02-07-07, 07:21 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how about 4 zone climate control? How about body heat sensors? How about executive seating at the back? Or 19 speakers?

It makes the car a marketing showboat.
Old 02-07-07, 09:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ff_
It doesn't make sense that a few reviews would rate the braking performance very poor, while others rate it very good. Do you have some links to reviews that support the brakes being very good?
You're right, it doesn't make sense, until you look deeper into some of the "reviews". When you have mags or media testing preproduction cars on crappy tires and then calling them "reviews", especially when Lexus only intended it to be preview drives or first drives, then something is wrong.

Look at this thread; there are a bunch of reviews that show good stopping distances for the new LS.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234405

Here is one review in particular:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

They achieved 60 - 0 mph stopping distance of 128 feet.

And then you have "reviews" from places like Car and Driver claiming they achieved 60 - 0 of 209 feet. Strange indeed.

Here is another review of the LS460L:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119408

The achieved a stopping distance of 136 feet, yet claimed that was "dissapointing". For a car that weighs well over 4000lbs, I wouldn't say so.
Old 02-07-07, 09:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
It's pretty simple. There are pros and cons to more gears in a transmission, and at some point the pros involve increasingly diminished returns that are eventually outweighed by the cons.

Go back to the days of the glide 2-speed automatic. That thing took a relative eternity to shift from lock to lock and when it was inbetween locks you were effectively not accelerating at all. Imagine if you had made the glide into an 8-speed transmission. Your 0-60 would be drastically worse because of all the time it'd spend shifting, it would likely be extremely large (may not even fit under most cars) and heavy, overly complex, and the heat caused by constantly shifting would quickly kill it.
Oh, and it'd be expensive as all get-out.

Yes, that's an extreme example. And today's auto transmissions shift very quickly, never really fall out of a positive gain type state (though power input is still reduced while shifting), and advances have been made to allow transmissions to become smaller, lighter, less complex, less expensive to build, and less susceptible to heat. But again, if it were a 4 or 5 speed auto designed using the same resources and technology, it'd likely be even smaller, lighter, cheaper to build, and more reliable than the 8-speed with the new technology. And depending on the time it takes the transmission to shift between gears and the power curve of the engine, it really may not give any real performance benefit to move to an 8-speed.

Look at what dragsters are still using today. 2 speed autos. It keeps the weight down, keeps the reliability high, and more importantly than anything, keeps time/power-robbing shifts down to a minimum. Those motors just have so much power than even if the shifts were instant and it didn't add any weight or reliability issues, the performance gain they'd see from going from a 2-speed to, say, a 5-speed is extremely marginal.

Yes I know with Lexus and BMW it's more than just performance - it also gives the benefit of a small rpm to rpm gap between shifts, possibly fuel economy (depending on the change in effective final drive ratio), and let's face it, bragging rights. But those factors can still be outweighed by the negatives I mentioned earlier.
That's actually wrong. Many dragsters use specially made 4 speed trannies, and a few even use heavy duty 6 speeds.
Old 02-07-07, 10:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Let me see here...
Guys on the internet think they know what is better than paid engineers for luxury marques. Yup that sounds right.

How can anyone argue over the benefits of more gears is beyond me.

Maybe you all should trade in your cars for 3 speed Plymouths of the 1950s...
Exactly. Some of the points made here are comical.

If engineers are working on a new transmission, and Toyota told them to make it lighter, stronger, faster shifting, and have a better gear ratio spread, what do you think goes through their mind? That's exactly what Toyota told the engineers for the new Lexus 8 speed.

And for people saying that we're getting into "too much gears", you forget how advanced today's transmissions are. *Both* the Benz 7 speed and the Lexus 8 speed have the ability to "jump" gears. Instead of shifting from 1st through 7th, or 1st through 8th, both trannies can "jump" several gears depending on the situation and the need. So the argument that we're getting into too much gears holds no water.
Old 02-07-07, 11:04 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So the argument that we're getting into too much gears holds no water.
If the car is jumping gears, then honestly, when are those extra gears really needed? What's the real benefit? It's not like the 7 Series and the LS are torqueless pigs that can't get out of their own way. Extra gears are just...extra gears.

I call it marketing.
Old 02-07-07, 11:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
If the car is jumping gears, then honestly, when are those extra gears really needed? What's the real benefit? It's not like the 7 Series and the LS are torqueless pigs that can't get out of their own way. Extra gears are just...extra gears.

I call it marketing.
This arguement/thread reminds me of the 5 speed and 10 speed bike squabbles of the 70's.
Old 02-07-07, 11:48 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This arguement/thread reminds me of the 5 speed and 10 speed bike squabbles of the 70's.
Those were some turbulent times!
Old 02-07-07, 12:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
People died for that cause...

It's in your history books.
Old 02-07-07, 12:44 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

1. dual climate control

Originally Posted by spwolf

If luxury is about excess, then I don't know where does the Bentley with 4sp auto or the RR with manual climate control belong..
Old 02-07-07, 12:47 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newr
If luxury is about excess, then I don't know where does the Bentley with 4sp auto or the RR with manual climate control belong..
In the Super Duper Lux. Class.. Duh? They set their own standards.. Much like Aston Martin. Heh.
Old 02-07-07, 01:05 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

roflmao !!!!!!
Old 02-07-07, 01:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It's kinda curious that Lexus, M-B, and BMW incorporate some of the newest techologies and features not found in $200-350K cars like Rolls and Bently. In many ways, a $65K LS460 is better than those super expensive "Ultra luxury" cars. You would think these top cars would get everything first.

Quick Reply: New BMW 7-series will come with 8-speed transmission