Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Record sales for Bentley may dilute the brand ? . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Record sales for Bentley may dilute the brand ? . . .

Monday 5 February 2007

Bentley has surpassed all sales expectations for 2006, selling a staggering 3,856 vehicles in the US alone, easily beating its main rivals Maybach and Rolls-Royce. Its lineup includes the GT coupe and GTC convertible, the Flying Spur sedan, as well as the older Arnage and Azure models. However, most of the sales were the Continental coupes and sedans, and as for as most people are concerned Bentley is the Continental GT. Unfortunately, in the case of exclusive luxury marques, larger volumes can actually hurt the brand in the long run. Promoting the brand name and image, products and prices is a difficult balancing act, and sadly it appears Bentley is losing its appeal with the super-rich, which puts it on level with brands that were previously a tier below.

According to Automotive News, sales were up 5.5% for Bentley over its 2005 figure, and this was more than four times as much as Rolls’ global sales figure of just 805 cars, while Maybach managed only 146 sales in the US last year. The key reason for the sales numbers is due to price, the Continental GT coupe and Continental Flying Spur sedan sell for roughly half the price of a Maybach 57 or Rolls-Royce Phantom. However, Bentley exec Stuart McCullough believes money is not the issue, claiming that customers choose the Bentley because they find the Rolls-Royce Phantom too ostentatious, while the Maybach looks too much like a Mercedes.

The number of consumers who can afford ultra-luxury vehicles is on the rise but Bentley doesn’t need to advertise, nor should it. With this level of sales, Bentley is on the verge of losing significant brand-cachet. Numerous reviews have derided the Continental GT for being little more than a VW Phaeton with a bigger engine, while most critics have applauded BMW’s hands-off approach with Rolls Royce.
source : motorauthority

I'd still take a Bentley over RR & Maybach at the present moment because of the styling, plus they're not as overpriced.
Old 02-05-07, 08:38 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably too would take the Bentley. The RR and Maybach you pretty much need a chauffer.

I cant wait for Bugatti to release their sedan (if it ever happens) would be nice too see another old high-end company coming back to life with a sedan-limo.
Old 02-05-07, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RR and Maybach are a little "Old Money" for me.

Bentley takes car of people with "New Money." It's a little younger and more fresh, especially with the GT Continental.

Is it diluted? I don't think so. Even though it's half the price of a RR or Maybach, it's still near $200k...
Old 02-05-07, 09:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've seen at least 5 bentley GT/GTC this past month, one in which I was right behind when I was driving GS3tek's car
Old 02-05-07, 10:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Nah, I dont think its getting diluted just yet (but they are starting to get close), but I'm starting to see them pop up in places where Bentleys are usually never seen.

Its good that they are worried about this and want to keep its exclusivity.
Old 02-05-07, 10:36 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as those rappers are buying RR, Bentley's brand image is safe.

Of course, if they don't sell their cars to the likes of Paris Hilton and Beckham, Bentley may actually improve its own image to another level.