Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RX-F???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-07, 08:16 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
DOES EVERYONE ON HERE READ CAR AND DRIVER ON THE CRAPPER????

NOT EVERY VEHICLE MUST DRIVE LIKE A 911!!!
This has to be the funniest quote so far this year.

Leave it to our mods to keep things in perspective.
Old 02-05-07, 08:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
+1 I can't believe how long Lexus has been using the same design. The RX came out in 1999. If the new one comes out as an 09, that is 10 years between model changes.
LX was 10 years.
RX had a facelift, pretty much every 5 years.

One thing I find 5 years pretty long, but happens when a company very conservative. Atleast the product great so why change it, plus they dont want to play with Audi / MB / BMW.
Old 02-05-07, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by genearch
Why do you get your panties in a bunch everytime anyone posts anything contrary to Lexus. Get over it already...

Nobody mentioned a 911, but many mentioned they were looking for more than the current Lexus lineup offers, myself included and the OP's motivation for this thread.

I defined my needs, researched the market, including the GX and made my decision. Lexus did not have a horse in the race.

McDonalds sells more hamburgers than In-N-Out Burger here on the West Coast... does that make them the class leader?
Your panties were in a bunch before mine

While I think sportier SUVs are missing the point, clearly there is a market for them. Some think boring SUVs are missing the point, clearly there is a market for them.

In conclusion, I feel that there is a market for different SUVs like different cars. However, I don't understand people knocking SUVs for NOT being sporty, when a sporty SUV makes less sense than a SUV with Utility that is not sporty.

Say that 5 times fast! lol

Old 02-05-07, 10:22 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you know, I wasn't knocking the RX. Fact is, there is a market for it, you know it, I know it and sure as hell Lexus knows it. I'm not asking for the RX to drive like a 911, i'm asking for them to expand the Options for the RX rather than create YET ANOTHER suv to cater to the demand (because if there is money to be made they WILL build one).

Lord knows how much we need another SUV.
Old 02-06-07, 05:17 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's ok, the RX is basically the MILF wagon.
Yeah the GX is a solution looking for a problem.
New Escalade is a better choice than an LX until the new one
I would rock a RX. (I'm a male)
What the hell is the point of the GX? Anyone?
The new Escalade looks like sin. All versions, EXT, ESV and base. They all look filthy.
Old 02-06-07, 06:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are so correct. In fact all SUVs interior and exteriors look like minivans.
The x5 and x3 interiors are similar to their respective platforms 3 & 5 series, and not minvan like at all . Here is a shot of my x3 interior. Very similar in feel and appearance to the 3 series.

Old 02-06-07, 07:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
So let's survey the Lexus positioning:

You could buy a RX and have very limited towing capacity
You could buy a LX and get 12MPG and feel like you are going to tip over on turns
You could buy a GX and feel the same as the LX but with a stupid assed rear door that opens the wrong way.

Or...

You could buy a Cayenne, X5, ML and to a lesser extent a new MDX and have adequate towing capacity when needed and better than average handling on a daily basis.

No brainer...
Lexus positioning is so bad that RX alone outsells all X3, X5 and ML, together.

:-).

I will buy next gen RX hybrid just because I need utility, with luxury and a bit of sportiness. Sportiness in SUV doesnt mean that I will go to track with it, it means that I can hit an curve or two.

My current European Rav4 is actually a bit too sporty for my needs, so I wouldnt expect next gen RX to be much worse really.

Also, There is no reason V8 wouldnt fit, if platform was engineered for it. Audi does it all the time on the FWD based platforms....

Last edited by spwolf; 02-06-07 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-06-07, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I would rock a RX. (I'm a male)
What the hell is the point of the GX? Anyone?
The new Escalade looks like sin. All versions, EXT, ESV and base. They all look filthy.
GX is true truck, meant to go anywhere... very strong suspension and internals. We sell a lot of Land Cruisers in eastern europe and it is best vehicle Toyota has ever produced. It has 55 year heritage.
Old 02-06-07, 07:41 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by spwolf
GX is true truck, meant to go anywhere... very strong suspension and internals. We sell a lot of Land Cruisers in eastern europe and it is best vehicle Toyota has ever produced. It has 55 year heritage.
Well what I meant was that we have both the LX and GX (and the Land Cruiser).
Where does the GX position it self and what are it's major competitors (as well as the LX's major competitors). The GX and LX are not that much different in size, they both can seat up to 8 passengers. Yet there's a 20k price difference.

Someone mentioned that the rear door opens the wrong way, what do you mean by that?
Old 02-06-07, 07:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Well what I meant was that we have both the LX and GX (and the Land Cruiser).
Where does the GX position it self and what are it's major competitors (as well as the LX's major competitors). The GX and LX are not that much different in size, they both can seat up to 8 passengers. Yet there's a 20k price difference.

Someone mentioned that the rear door opens the wrong way, what do you mean by that?
next LX will be bigger... LX is now very old car... So next LX will be bigger and more expensive...

I think people mean that door opens left to right, as in for right hand market and streets. I am so used to it that it would feel very strange for me for them to open left to right.
Old 02-06-07, 07:51 AM
Koma

next LX will be bigger... LX is now very old car... So next LX will be bigger and more expensive...

I think people mean that door opens left to right, as in for right hand market and streets. I am so used to it that it would feel very strange for me for them to open left to right.
So the GX rear gate opens sideways rather than up?
The next LX is supposed to be Sequoia based correct?
Old 02-06-07, 07:53 AM
LexFather

Again, there seems to be a market for all these SUVs;
1. Those more sport than utility
2. Those with more utility than sport

Old 02-06-07, 08:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Again, there seems to be a market for all these SUVs;
1. Those more sport than utility
2. Those with more utility than sport
throw in comfort as well... I think it is mostly comfort vs sport. And of course, a lot of luxury thrown in...
Old 02-06-07, 08:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So the GX rear gate opens sideways rather than up?
The next LX is supposed to be Sequoia based correct?
I doubt LX will be Sequia based... LX is global Land Cruiser platform, that sells around the world far more than Sequia.

Maybe Sequia will use simplified version of LC platform...

I think term platform is very loosely used around forums. Cars with same "platform" use different powertrains and suspensions, so they are completly different vehicles. For instance Land Cruiser and Hilux (Tacoma) use "same" platform, however their suspensions are completly different - where GX uses independent double wishbone setup, Hilux uses leaf suspension. Cars dont look or drive anywhere similar.

For instance, Toyota considered MR-S and Rav4 to be on same plaform. There is nothing alike on those two cars.

So to avoid confusion, if cars are using different suspensions, they now dont call them same platform anymore.

And contrary to some people's invalid opinions, there is apsolutly no reason why an AWD RX can not handle as good as any SUV on the market... Why would it though? Obviously RX customers value comfort and luxury first.

You think X5 handles better than STI, which is basically FWD based car and impreza sells with 1.6 90hp engine in Europe?

Yes, GX back door opens sideways...
Old 02-06-07, 08:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My current European Rav4 is actually a bit too sporty for my needs, so I wouldnt expect next gen RX to be much worse really.
The Rav4 has a firmer suspension and sportier handeling than the Rx. Why didn't Toyota give the RX the same suspension geometry I love the Rav4 so much, that I decided to keep it, and make it more of a daily driver than the x3.. I bought a Magellan portable navi just for the Rav4

Quick Reply: Lexus RX-F???