Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus RX-F???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 06:20 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX has zero sport gene in it to deserve the F badge whatsoever.

The rumored upcoming VX, based on the HPX/LF-X concept that is on the GS platform, is the only SUV in the future Lexus lineup that can potentially be properly F'ed up.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 02-06-07 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-06-07, 06:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I can't even stand the soft ride in my ES300 let alone the LS400. I agree, it rides very smooth and cushy, but for some it is just too soft. I'm only in my mid 30s so maybe I'm still too young to appreciate luxury couches on wheels. Nothing wrong with it but it is just not for me yet. I used to drive a lowered NSX with 18/19 rims on 35/30 series tires daily for a while. Even that car didn't feel too stiff for me. I loved it.
I currently have a GS430, LS400 and I used to drive a highly modified civic with ITR suspension swap. And I am 28, so I'm defenately not too old for sports cars, but for daily driver nothing beats LS400. I can drive 100mph on a rugged *** road, not even feeling any harshness from the syspension or the steering. When I drive the GS, I love the power of the engine, but the suspension is way too stiff and every little imperfection on the road is felt in the cabin, and the steering is way too fast, slight wiggle of the steering wheel and you already in the other lane. Plus with stiff suspension, steering and low profile tires every time you drive over a bump or pothole the steering wheel just rips out of you hands while in the LS these are not felt at all in the steering wheel. Its stable as tank, yet soft and comfy and quiet. The engine however is quite weak, but I'm gonna do something to fix it in the near future
Old 02-06-07, 07:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck
I take it you don't appreciate nor like the "Jack-of-all-trades" Cayenne Turbo S then? Cause it off-roads well and will embarass a lot sports cars.
well, realistically, it will not embaress a lot of sports cars really. But, why not have sporty suv? People need to think outside of the box...
Old 02-07-07, 01:48 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, realistically, it will not embaress a lot of sports cars really. But, why not have sporty suv? People need to think outside of the box...
Nothing wrong with it if you do it right. Possibly Lexus can do it right but I don't know. When it comes to sporty SUV's, I like the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne like Mike does. Lexus can build these types of vehicles but will they? I ask you, do you think Lexus will really build a sports SUV that has the same type of driving dynamics of the X5 or Cayenne? I know they can, but will they and will Lexus buyers buy that type of Lexus? Or, will they just build a powerful engine SUV that handles good and still isolates you from the road? My guess is Lexus will still cater toward luxury and are not willing to sacrifice the road comfort too much. Me, I'm all for it if they can build it. Funny though when I lowered my RX330 with stiffer springs, put larger diameter tires, and just tried to make it more sporty people here on CL said why? And you bought the wrong type of vehicle of you wanted something sporty.
Old 02-07-07, 01:54 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
When I drive the GS, I love the power of the engine, but the suspension is way too stiff and every little imperfection on the road is felt in the cabin, and the steering is way too fast, slight wiggle of the steering wheel and you already in the other lane. Plus with stiff suspension, steering and low profile tires every time you drive over a bump or pothole the steering wheel just rips out of you hands while in the LS these are not felt at all in the steering wheel. Its stable as tank, yet soft and comfy and quiet. The engine however is quite weak, but I'm gonna do something to fix it in the near future
I guess we just like different things. I think the GS suspension is also too soft for my style. I also don't seem to have a problem with the steering wheel being ripped out of my hands with irregular roads or pot holes. Thankfully I usually am able to avoid the pot holes so I hardly hit any, but I have before unfortunately. Anyway, for me all Lexus cars have too soft and an over boosted steering feel for me. I prefer the tighter steering of some of the other cars. The Lexus is perfect for my wife though, and I can live with it thus the reason why I have them. So far almost all my cars (Even the Lexus) has after market suspension on it.
Old 02-07-07, 05:59 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why should Lexus build a more "sporty" SUV if they don't even have a real sports car - yet?
Old 02-07-07, 06:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

What I worry about is that as the RX progresses it will get bigger, and that is not something I would like too much. One reason I like the RX300 I have is that it i no too big. An SUV can be sporty, but it does not have to be big. I saw that R-series Mercedes on the road yesterday, and I am thinking what is this...a Star Trek Shuttle Pod?
Old 02-07-07, 06:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Nothing wrong with it if you do it right. Possibly Lexus can do it right but I don't know. When it comes to sporty SUV's, I like the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne like Mike does. Lexus can build these types of vehicles but will they? I ask you, do you think Lexus will really build a sports SUV that has the same type of driving dynamics of the X5 or Cayenne? I know they can, but will they and will Lexus buyers buy that type of Lexus? Or, will they just build a powerful engine SUV that handles good and still isolates you from the road? My guess is Lexus will still cater toward luxury and are not willing to sacrifice the road comfort too much. Me, I'm all for it if they can build it. Funny though when I lowered my RX330 with stiffer springs, put larger diameter tires, and just tried to make it more sporty people here on CL said why? And you bought the wrong type of vehicle of you wanted something sporty.
but thats the whole thing - RX doesnt have to be Cheyenne competitor... It just has to be sportier RX

:-).

I am completly happy with my Rav4 handling... it is superb. I want more comfort and same handling from RX.
Old 02-07-07, 06:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
What I worry about is that as the RX progresses it will get bigger, and that is not something I would like too much. One reason I like the RX300 I have is that it i no too big. An SUV can be sporty, but it does not have to be big. I saw that R-series Mercedes on the road yesterday, and I am thinking what is this...a Star Trek Shuttle Pod?
I think Toyota/Lexus has been pretty good with not going too far with their cars.

Loosely based on the current Camry platform, the Highlander is four inches longer, three inches wider, and rides on a three inch longer wheelbase than the previous generation
4" isnt that much, PLUS, 3" of that is gone into the wheelbase (interior space), so seems like they are doing it right...