Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best way to buy new car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 05:42 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to buy new car?

What do you guys recommend besides carsdirect.com as a good way to get price quotes on a new car. The GF is looking for an '07 Santa Fe

thanks
Old 02-06-07, 05:50 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I've found that you can get pretty fair/better prices if you go to the dealers website, and contact and deal with the internet sales dept.
Old 02-06-07, 05:57 PM
is_wil
Driver

^^ I agree, the Internet sales reps for each dealer seem to be a different breed than a typical walk-up salesman...

Also, costocauto.com is really cool for research and prices if you're a costco member - executive members get a discount on maintenance at the dealer if you go through them (at least that's what they say).

If you want to see what vehicles a dealer has in stock - check out autotrader.com - that'll also hook you up with the Internet sales dept for each dealer...

Good luck!
Old 02-06-07, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with Farazz....you can often get better Internet dealer prices if you hunt for them. However, if you know people at the dealership, particularly salespeople and managers, or have had previous experience with them, you can often get excellent prices and deals as well.

The 2007 Santa Fe, BTW, is an excellent vehicle for the money....your GF has good taste. Here is my recent review of it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=2007+santa+fe

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-06-07 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-06-07, 09:57 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 2007 Santa Fe, BTW, is an excellent vehicle for the money....your GF has good taste. Here is my recent review of it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=2007+santa+fe
Thanks for the review. haha, it was actually my idea to have her check out the Hyundai's, but she does like them best alongside the Highlander. The Tucson is also surprisingly nice, but the 4-spd auto turned me off and it's less than $2k cheaper than the much nicer Santa Fe.

Used Pilot, RX3xx, MDX, Rav4, and CR-V, 4Runner, and new Rav4, CR-V, Outlander, and CX-7 were all considered. First choice all along was an 04+ Highlander Limited (she loves the interior), but it's nearly impossible to find one private-sale around here.
Old 02-06-07, 10:38 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on checking through Costco if you're a member. You can look up invoice pricing on the website. If you go through Costco the rep at the dealer is obligated to also show you invoice pricing of the car and the options you want. They'll tell you what their price is for Costco members, which is usually pretty good. Armed with this information you can then go to another dealer and haggle for a better deal.
Old 02-06-07, 10:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by replica
What do you guys recommend besides carsdirect.com as a good way to get price quotes on a new car. The GF is looking for an '07 Santa Fe

thanks
Find out who a good salesman is. Go to the Santefe Forums and try to find a contact.....