Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 05:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
bland? You can call it ugly, but it is definetly not bland, lol.

People dont seem to understand what bland means. This pic make it definetly ugly though.

But interior is top notch.
I guess you could call the interior bland. I mean, it is not really ugly or bad, but not really plush or anything special either. Kind of an interior you can live with but nothing really eye catching.
Old 02-07-07, 05:06 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The tails remind me of squished SLR tail lights.
I think it looks pretty good, the front looks a bit like a Forester to me.
I honestly thought of the MDX when I saw the tailamps. I think it looks fine and i'm sure it will sell great.
Old 02-07-07, 06:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I guess you could call the interior bland. I mean, it is not really ugly or bad, but not really plush or anything special either. Kind of an interior you can live with but nothing really eye catching.
we are looking at the same interior right? looks a lot less blander than most if not all of the lexus interiors :-).

Now, yes, they should have put an joystick there, stupid steering wheel!!!!
Old 02-07-07, 06:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

That rear reminds me a little of the Subaru Forester.
Old 02-07-07, 07:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Just to put things into perspective... Old one looks like utter crap, and was most popular SUV from Toyota. New one looks 3 generations better (interior)....

Interior looks even better than RX... put a bit more of wood inside and its perfect for luxury car.
Old 02-07-07, 07:08 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Eh

I really am not a fan of the current SUV/CUV movement to look like big station wagons ...
Old 02-07-07, 07:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

In fact, interior looks like prettier Lexus IS interior, for SUV's :-).

I would expect RX to be more stylish, inside and out, but thats great interior to build on...
Old 02-07-07, 07:24 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exterior looks like a castrated 4Runner or a Tomboy version of Rav4.

Too much wood for my taste. But I prefer metal or carbon fiber finishing over wood anyway.
Old 02-07-07, 07:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I can understand why Toyota did this...

Toyota is differentiating the Highlander and 4Runner.

They made the Rav4 an everyday entry-level SUV. This appeals to first-time buyers of SUVs that need the functionality of a car but the space and capacity of an SUV.

The Highlander and 4Runner, being similarly priced, and functionally different. The Highlander is more "family-oriented" (read for Soccer moms) and will appeal to the SUV consumers that want a soft, comfortable ride to transport the whole family with plenty of space. The 4Runner however is more "work-oriented" (read for men who use it for work or hauling) and will appeal to the SUV consumers that want something tougher, more rugged, with torque for hauling big items.

I can understand why Toyota desinged the Highlander a little effeminate as seen as above. It is pretty much a next-level Rav4.

I think, especially in this Forum, most members will not understand or appreciate the evolution of the Highlander/RX. We (mostly men and car enthusiasts) want something more aggressive and rugged for an SUV. However, this SUV is not catered to men or car enthusiasts. The Highlander is catered to women and families.
Old 02-07-07, 07:57 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I believe when most people see a car, he or she can relate it to if it's a "guy's car" or a "girl's car". Some cars do fit into the "both guy's and girl's car" category, like the first gen Highlander or the current RAV4. I am just not so sure about this new Highlander here. It's like the Rosie O'Donnel or Mr/Mrs. Garrison type of car.
Old 02-07-07, 08:03 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

It could be the combination of color and angle of the picture taken, but that sure is a one fugly SUV.
Old 02-07-07, 08:09 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I like the interior, but the exterior is one of the ugliest SUV I've seen in a while
Old 02-07-07, 08:15 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Toyota Launches 2008 Highlander And Highlander Hybrid At The 2007 Chicago Auto Show

February 7, 2007 – Chicago - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), USA, Inc., unveiled the all-new next-generation Highlander and Highlander Hybrid mid-size sport utility vehicles (SUV) at a press conference today at the 2007 Chicago Auto Show.

"Highlander holds a unique distinction within the Toyota brand and within the industry," said Don Esmond, TMS senior vice president, automotive operations. "Along with the 4Runner and the FJ Cruiser, it anchors one of the industry's only three-vehicle, mid-size SUV line-ups. Equally important, along with Prius and Camry Hybrid, it is a key component in the industry's only three-vehicle hybrid strategy."

The 2008 Highlander is significantly larger, roomier and more powerful than the vehicle it replaces. Yet its fuel efficiency will be virtually unchanged. It is noticeably quieter, smarter, with improved versatility and ride comfort. It will offer the highest level of standard safety equipment in a segment where safety is at the top of purchase considerations. And, it's all wrapped in a package designed for buyers who want to stand out and make a statement.

Highlander will have no equal to its comprehensive list of standard safety features. It will provide a segment-leading total of seven airbags, including a driver's knee airbag and roll-sensing side curtain airbags for all three rows.

As with all Toyota SUVs for the last three years, Highlander will provide Toyota's STAR safety system, featuring:
• anti-lock brakes,
• traction control,
• electronic brake-force distribution,
• brake assist,
• and for the first time, enhanced vehicle stability control,
• with electronic power steering.

On all models except the base models, it will provide a stand-alone backup camera with a multi-information screen, not tied to a navigation system. And, Highlander will have the distinction of being the first Toyota division vehicle to feature both active head restraints and a new hood and fender system designed to crumple on impact with a pedestrian.

On the outside, Highlander moves away from traditional SUV styling cues with a statement of strength instead of ruggedness; of intelligence over toughness. Calty Design Research in Newport Beach, Calif. sculpted clean, crisp lines, a wide, stable stance and muscular contours to give Highlander an advanced, contemporary, forceful and dynamic personality.

Highlander rides on an all-new chassis derived from the current Camry and Avalon. It is nearly four inches longer and three inches wider, with an inch more ground clearance and three inches of additional wheelbase.

Interior designers took full advantage of Highlander's substantial dimensions. Design intelligence is carried through to the refined interior, where smart and sophisticated blend with practical, flexible and versatile.

The passenger compartment is open and airy. Convenient and innovative interior features such as flexible seating arrangements, and ease of entry and exit, were directly related to customer input.

For example, Highlander's second-row features captain's chairs with armrests that, if needed, can be converted to a bench seat for three passengers. A "Center Stow" seat, when not in use, is hidden in a compartment under the front center console. In its place, passengers can easily snap in the provided center stow center console or choose to leave the area open as a walk-through to the third row. The second row also slides forward and back 4.7 inches and reclines.

Clever and convenient standard features include:
• a third-row bench seat with foldable headrests for a flat rear cargo area,
• a rear glass hatch for quick access to the back (optional on base grades),
• and Smart Start and Entry for Limited and all hybrid models.

When Highlander arrives in July, it will be offered in Base, Sport and Limited grades. All three grades will be powered by a new 3.5-liter V6 that delivers an impressive 270 horsepower -- a 55 horsepower gain over the previous generation's 3.3-liter engine.

Two months later, the all-new Highlander Hybrid will arrive at dealerships. Offered in both Base and Limited grades, all Highlander hybrids will feature Toyota's advanced VDIM stability system. The system integrates:
• full-time four-wheel drive with intelligence,
• electronic brake and throttle control,
• with true electronically-controlled active steering.

Highlander's advanced Hybrid Synergy Drive system has been extensively upgraded and refined for 2008 for both power and economy. The new Highlander gained about 500 pounds, growing significantly in every dimension and receiving extensive body and chassis reinforcement, aimed specifically at achieving best-in-class crash ratings. Not only were engineers able to increase output to 270 net horsepower, they were able to maintain Highlander Hybrid's impressive fuel economy at 31 city and 27 highway.

The Highlander will be loaded with standard-equipped comfort and convenience features. Nineteen-inch alloy wheels will be standard on both Sport and Limited gas models and both hybrid models.

An array of options and accessories will be offered, such as a power backdoor that can be opened and closed with a key fob, a navigation system with an eight-inch screen, a rear-seat entertainment system with a nine-inch screen, and three-zone air conditioning.

Other options include:
• JBL audio with six-disc changer and nine speakers with Bluetooth,
• third-row seat delete to create a second-row model,
• leather seat trim and heated seats,
• and a tow package with a 5000-lbs. maximum towing capacity (class-leading for car & van-based mid SUVs).

"The 2008 Highlander takes the car-based SUV concept to a new level," said Esmond. "I say that with conviction, because it's a category we invented."

The Toyota RAV4, now in its third generation, was the world's-first car-based SUV. In 1998, Lexus established a whole new category of car-based luxury SUVs when it launched the RX300. The debut of Highlander in 2001 marked the beginning of a shift in the mid-size SUV segment, from truck platforms to car platforms.

"As you can see, the new Highlander has raised the bar significantly," said Esmond. "Last year we did the same with RAV4. And in about a year, we'll do the same with both Land Cruiser and Sequoia. The Toyota division now markets a six-vehicle SUV lineup that appeals to specific buyer demographics and life-stages. It is a lineup that gives us enormous flexibility in responding to shifts in the marketplace. We are committed to keeping our products fresh and at the front of the pack."

TOYOTA 2008 HIGHLANDER PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

POWERTRAIN
3.5 Liter V6 – 270 hp
249 ft.-lbs. torque
5-speed automatic
4WD or 2WD

3.3 Liter V6 Hybrid – 270 net hp
Torque not available for hybrid powertrain
ECVT
4WD-i

DIMENSIONS (inches)
Overall Length: 188.4
Overall Width: 75.2
Overall Height: 69.3
Wheelbase: 109.8
Ground Clearance: Gas 8.1 / Hybrid 7.3
Seating Capacity: 5 or 7 passengers
Wheels: 17- or 19-inch wheels

Old 02-07-07, 08:18 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 02-07-07, 08:19 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

*** What is that screen that is on top of the NAVI screen in the 08 Highlander picture? and the article says that a backup camera can be purchased without even having the NAVI screen? where does the image show up at? where the multi-information screen on the insturment cluster is at or that one screen on top of the dash where the NAVI is? just a question ***

Quick Reply: All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show