Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 08:24 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess Gferg beat me to it and answer my question for me, thanks Gferg!
Old 02-07-07, 08:26 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For what is is intended for (not you ,"everything should look like a 911 turbo folks") it looks good and will very well on the market.
Old 02-07-07, 08:26 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
and the article says that a backup camera can be purchased without even having the NAVI screen? where does the image show up at? where the multi-information screen on the insturment cluster is at or that one screen on top of the dash where the NAVI is? just a question
Yep... back up camera and multi info screen.

Nice feature for those who dont have Navi, horrible for those who do have Navi. Seems like you still use that little screen for the camera, when they should have switched it to the larger Navi screeen.
Old 02-07-07, 08:36 AM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's like a RAV4 on steriods.

i can't believe that a group of CREATIVE and IMAGINATIVE individuals that designed this SUV thinks it's a good looking car.

im sooo disappointed.

it looks like a upscale HYUNDAI SANTA FE.

just like the other post said...

i rather have it bland than ugly.
Old 02-07-07, 08:37 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not feeling those gauge pods. The focus makes it seem as if it's the temp and fuel gauge.
Old 02-07-07, 08:37 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks so much like Mitsubishi Outlander from a side. I like it though. Average outside, very nice inside, pretty discent performance for this type of vehicle. Should outsell most of the SUV brands in this class.
Old 02-07-07, 08:40 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Change the paint, and wheels... and the car will look a bit better.

I don't really like the "outlander'ish" rear though.

The interior looks great!
Old 02-07-07, 08:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Yep... back up camera and multi info screen.

Nice feature for those who dont have Navi, horrible for those who do have Navi. Seems like you still use that little screen for the camera, when they should have switched it to the larger Navi screeen.
looks to me as if they are going to put some distinction between RX and Highlander....

But new pics, both interior and exterior looks much better now...
Old 02-07-07, 08:46 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by my_shaldan
it's like a RAV4 on steriods.

i can't believe that a group of CREATIVE and IMAGINATIVE individuals that designed this SUV thinks it's a good looking car.

im sooo disappointed.

it looks like a upscale HYUNDAI SANTA FE.

just like the other post said...

i rather have it bland than ugly.
The Santa Fe did VERY well for Hyundai. Styling not for me, but they obviously did not market it for me.
Old 02-07-07, 08:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. did anyone notice that despite the weight, Hybrid mpg DID NOT change? Especially since it is using new 2008 EPA regulations for measuring fuel consumption....
Old 02-07-07, 08:52 AM
jmaynard
Driver

I like it...but then, I had a first-gen RAV4 (a 2-door version, no less!) and an RX300. The previous Highlander didn't do that much for me, mainly because it felt underpowered. (That was with the 3.3L V6. I'd hate to try the 4-cylinder version...) This one seems like they've fixed the deficiencies.
Old 02-07-07, 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

¸wait, 8" navigation? Hoho...
Old 02-07-07, 09:35 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Those initial pics do not look good at all. Some of Toyota's pressroom pics look better, and on Toyota's website, the pics look pretty good.

I think the exterior does look a bit weird, but it certainly has a Japanese style to it. I also can see a resemblance to the 1st gen Highlander, and a few styling cues from the Rav4. The exterior has a very clean look to it.

As for the interior, it looks top notch. I must admit, this interior makes the Camry interior look cheap. The interior looks to be on par with the new MDX, and even as good as the current RX.

Feature and options-wise, it's a mixed big. The car has some cool features like active head restraints, and the backup camera for most models. Also nice to see 7 airbags standard. Max towing capacity of 5000lbs with a tow package is also a nice increase over the old model. Although this is car-based, it can certainly tow enough for most CUV owners. Options like 3 zone A/C and power backdoor are also nice.

I am most dissapointed though with the powertrains. The Highlander still remains with a 5 speed, and it's dissapointing why Toyota didn't put a 6 speed in there. It would have further increased fuel economy and performance. Also dissapointed at the Highlander Hybrid powertrain. It still remains a 3.3L V6 with the Hybrid Synergy Drive. Hopefully they will update the hybrid system in one or two years. Like some of you, I also really hate the exposed cupholders.

So overall, a few dissapointments I wasn't expecting from Toyota, but otherwise a top-notch vehicle that's a big improvement over the current Highlander.
Old 02-07-07, 09:39 AM
LexFather

Still looks weird with the new pics. Front grill reminds me of the Suburu Forester. Why in the hell does the hybrid and non hybrid make the same power and the non hybrid use the OLD engine????

As for the exterior, Hondas has maybe the ugliest lineup in the history of cars and people buy tons of them. People buy cars based on other merits. I still prefer BLAND to UGLY though.

Oh well, the closest I will get to this is having one parked at the mall. So me no care.

Old 02-07-07, 09:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Still looks weird with the new pics. Front grill reminds me of the Suburu Forester. Why in the hell does the hybrid and non hybrid make the same power and the non hybrid use the OLD engine????

As for the exterior, Hondas has maybe the ugliest lineup in the history of cars and people buy tons of them. People buy cars based on other merits. I still prefer BLAND to UGLY though.

Oh well, the closest I will get to this is having one parked at the mall. So me no care.
Even more dissapointing is GM's new CUVs have 6 speeds across the board, yet the Highlander remains with a 5 speed? Why?

Quick Reply: All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show