Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 09:48 AM
LexFather

I don't know why the RX or Highlander keeps the 5 speed. My guess is packaging. Its can't be a coincidence the 6 speed only goes in cars. Maybe it would not fit or hang low/high in a SUV.

Werid. One one end 8 speeds and CVT and on the other keeping a 5 speed. Makes it hard for me to argue!!! lmao

Old 02-07-07, 09:53 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is the Highlander based on the 2nd gen RX or a new chassis derived from camry.
Old 02-07-07, 10:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't know why the RX or Highlander keeps the 5 speed. My guess is packaging. Its can't be a coincidence the 6 speed only goes in cars. Maybe it would not fit or hang low/high in a SUV.

Werid. One one end 8 speeds and CVT and on the other keeping a 5 speed. Makes it hard for me to argue!!! lmao
I think next RX will almost certainly have 6 speed. I was certain the new Highlander would have 6 speed as well, but was dissapointed. It can't be a packaging issue, as the RX and Highlander allow more flexibility and room where to position the tranny than say compared to a Camry or ES350.

I think it might be a cost-cutting measure, but even that is unlikely as the 6 speed uses less parts than the 5 speed. There is also the chance that Toyota will update the Highlander in a year or two. Toyota must surely know that they are now at a competitive disadvantage having a 5 speed.
Old 02-07-07, 10:05 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
So is the Highlander based on the 2nd gen RX or a new chassis derived from camry.
It's based on the Avalon platform, which itself is based off of the Camry platform. In other words, the Avalon platform is a lengthened Camry platform.
Old 02-07-07, 10:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

my good guess would be cost and distinction between Lexus and Toyota models... This is supposed to be relativly low cost SUV...
Old 02-07-07, 10:46 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

you guys realize the Highlander is supposed to be the total opposite of the 4runner. It's supposed to be bland.
Old 02-07-07, 11:05 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sad that they are still using the age-old 3.3L for the hybrid powertrain. They could've used the much more efficient and modern 3.0L 3GR-FSE/3GR-FE instead. Also sad that they dropped the 4-cylinder model. Makes no sense for a mainstream brand.

The exterior is bland but that's expected for the Highlander which has been selling very well even with its currently even blander styling. The interior on the other hand looks awesome, clearly a cut above the competition.

Hopefully the mid-cycle update will come with better powertrain options or Toyota will lose those buyers with a budget in mind.
Old 02-07-07, 11:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Most important part of this press release:

"...And in about a year, we'll do the same with both Land Cruiser and Sequoia"

Um, hell yes. LC is not dead, and now we know for sure.
Old 02-07-07, 11:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Anyways, about the Highlander. I think the front end looks pretty bad- overly bland and cheap. At least the current Highlander's squared off proportions look sort of tough. This thing, looks literally like the front of a car raised a few inches. I also suspect that they are using the 5SPD because the 6SPD is a complete piece of garbage, and they obviously can't figure out what is wrong because they keep replacing them, and they keep failing. If it was good, I think you'd see it in the 2007 Sienna, and especially this Highlander, being an all new product. Therefore, they're going to have to play it safe and go with the 5spd.

All in all, I like the GMC Acadia more. It looks better, by far, has a 6AT, and I might like the interior more. GM is back, and for blood.
Old 02-07-07, 11:46 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

GM's Lamda trio (Outlook, Acadia and Enclave) walk all over this new Highlander when it comes to design.
Old 02-07-07, 12:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
GM's Lamda trio (Outlook, Acadia and Enclave) walk all over this new Highlander when it comes to design.
Agreed....
Old 02-07-07, 12:30 PM
Gotham
Rookie

It is funny how they list the JBL stereo as an "exterior" feature on the 2008 Highlander minisite at toyota.com.
Old 02-07-07, 12:43 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I like it..

I think in the right color it will look good. Initially we are so used to see the older versions of cars we automatically think "What is that!"..

Hey! I thought that about the 2IS and even the newer GS. But with time it will grow on you.. Heh! Now I own a 2IS.

And I'm sure Rosie wouldn't drive that. She looks more like an H2 kinda woman.. you know Big and Loud. :P The Highlander is too refined for her!
Old 02-07-07, 03:18 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotham
It is funny how they list the JBL stereo as an "exterior" feature on the 2008 Highlander minisite at toyota.com.
If you look at the subwoofer it is on the liftgate I guess if you open it you can use it as a outdoor system.
Old 02-07-07, 06:19 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

guess this is what I get for having had high expectations It's not an attrocity, but it's got little or no wow factor.

Quick Reply: All-New 2008 Toyota Highlander/Hybrid @ Chicago Auto Show