Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All-New 2008 Scion xD & xB Version 2.0 @ Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 11:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default All-New 2008 Scion xD & xB Version 2.0 @ Chicago Auto Show

Scion’s “X-box 2.0” was designed with the U.S. in mind.
BY STEVE SILER, February 2007

The Japanese bB, a.k.a. the Scion xB, put Scion on the map in the United States in 2003. However, its eensy size and eensier engine were definitely better suited to Toyota’s home market than ours, even though its bargain-basement price brought new meaning to the term “econobox”. And given that the Stateside success of the Scion brand is primarily attributable to the funky, highly customizable xB, Toyota saw to it that the first complete, ground-up redo of the bB/xB has us in mind, and thus bestowed it with newfound size and, more importantly, much more power.

Most striking about the new design are the thick C- and D-pillars and fender flares, both of which contribute to a much more muscular, substantial appearance. The tailgate actually has some roundness to it (!), whereas the previous model was as flat as Kansas on all sides. Also noteworthy is the front end, which features HID headlamps, air intakes on the outer corners of the bumpers (though we question their functionality) and—what’s this?—another take on Audi’s single-frame grille! Clearly, no car is safe from this trend.

More significant, however, is xB’s all-new compact-car platform, which represents a move away from the xD—the replacement for the previous xB’s platformmate, the xA—which has transitioned to the Yaris’ subcompact architecture. As such, the all-new xB offers more space inside for guitars, amps, and retro-punk hairdos. Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Like the xD, the xB will feature standard stability control and six standard air bags, as well as a 160-watt stereo with iPod connectivity, of course. 16-inch steel wheels with lovely plastic wheel covers are standard, though we expect that few of them will remain on xBs for long, given how many accessory wheels are available through Scion and the aftermarket. Scion’s line of accessories is expected to grow even longer now that the xB and xD have become more distinct, and thus will appeal to an even wider array of unique individuals for whom stock won’t do.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...ontiac-g8.html
Old 02-06-07, 11:58 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xD looks to much like the xA, and the xB got uglier, although the new standard features and HID's sound really nice
Old 02-07-07, 12:32 AM
LexFather

I like the XD a lot better than the Xa..new xB looks nice too.

Damn stadard HIDs?????? WTF??? lol
Wow, big HP increase!

Old 02-07-07, 01:02 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The xD is really quite ugly; between this and the Highlander, Toyota is REALLY on an ugly streak at Chicago.

xB is nothing special, and too inoffensive to be ugly. It's not particularly good looking either though. The features are pretty impressive though.
Old 02-07-07, 02:48 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xD looks alot better than the xA. The xB is rather inoffensive, and more American in styling, but I like it, and undoubtably it will grow on me.
Old 02-07-07, 02:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the HID headlights. That is about it though. Anyone have any interior shots? I'd like to see if the gauge cluster is in the same position as before or if they went back to the traditional position.
Old 02-07-07, 04:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I like the HID headlights. That is about it though. Anyone have any interior shots? I'd like to see if the gauge cluster is in the same position as before or if they went back to the traditional position.
um, article says no :-)
Old 02-07-07, 04:59 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf

Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.
Hmm, I completely missed it the first time around. I think that was a good move.
Old 02-07-07, 05:03 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally. That dash was the stupidest thing ever. Thanks Echo for making a slew of stupid dashes.
I still wish we got the new bB, that thing looked way cooler. This one looks alot like the t2B concept a while back.
xD looks the same as xA but a bit longer. What's the point of changing the name if you're not gonna change the body much? Does it mention what the xD has for an engine?
Old 02-07-07, 05:06 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
Finally. That dash was the stupidest thing ever. Thanks Echo for making a slew of stupid dashes.
I still wish we got the new bB, that thing looked way cooler. This one looks alot like the t2B concept a while back.
xD looks the same as xA but a bit longer. What's the point of changing the name if you're not gonna change the body much? Does it mention what the xD has for an engine?
That center cluster dash was the main reason why my in laws bought the Toyota Matrix instead of the xA. Not a bad alternative choice, but that center cluster did turn potential buyers away.
Old 02-07-07, 06:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
xD looks completly different than xA... Both cars have very stylish design, unlike old ones which had sharp lines.

I dont understand the reason of posting base model pics - it is probably first time in the history that someone premiered car with base wheels....

I am sure that some optional wheels will make both cars look awesome...
Old 02-07-07, 07:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, big HP increase!
That's what I was thinking!!!

I thought they'd share the same engine as the Corolla for 136 hp. Instead, it's 158 hp!!! What an upgrade!
Old 02-07-07, 07:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont understand the reason of posting base model pics - it is probably first time in the history that someone premiered car with base wheels....

I am sure that some optional wheels will make both cars look awesome...
Scion xA and xB have hubcaps on their base wheels. You get a choice from three different covers. Yup, hubcaps...

There is always an upgrade, and of course, aftermarket.
Old 02-07-07, 08:04 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let the photoshopping begin!

this new xB looks hot man. i know it looks like a marshmallow rolling on dimes but really- once the public gets a hold of it, it'll get lowered, the rims will get big and suddenly you'll have a car that almost every current xB owner will crave.

i've been looking to purchase an xB for the longest time but I was holding out to see what this new one will look like. I'm quite convinced that this new xB will drive the used prices of the old xB down (as always) to the point that you can get a decent 1st gen xB for under 10k. especially when taking into consideration the hp increase. 158 hp?? nice. paddle shifters? wow! with people slapping superchargers on tC vehicles already - Scion has really made a new sports wagon.
Old 02-07-07, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

xD looks better than the xA, but the new xB is ugly

Quick Reply: All-New 2008 Scion xD & xB Version 2.0 @ Chicago Auto Show