Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-generation VW Phaeton confirmed for 2011 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 06:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Next-generation VW Phaeton confirmed for 2011 . . .

Posted on Wednesday 7 February 2007

. . . apparently in an interview published in Vanity Fair with VW-Chief Martin Winterkorn confirms that a Phaeton replacement will be built by 2011, and was picked up by our friends over at the German Car Blog.

Winterkorn goes on to say that it’s “natural we need a Phaeton “, and that “in the luxury class technology is demonstrated nevertheless. A marque such as Volkswagen must be a constant authority - from the Polo to the Phaeton.” Well, that’s according to the horribly unreliable translation software used. Either way, it’s clear there will be a new Phaeton, and that VW won’t back down from making it the most over-engineered car in the world. Get ready for 53 different modes of automatic light adjustment and an electronic dash system that puts the space shuttle to shame.
SOURCE : motorauthority, germancarblog
Old 02-07-07, 06:48 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why so long from now? 4 years...
Old 02-07-07, 07:10 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Why so long from now? 4 years...
Because they are working on the 10 speed transmission. Just be patient!!
Old 02-07-07, 07:12 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Because they are working on the 10 speed transmission. Just be patient!!
HA! HA! Good one
Old 02-07-07, 08:02 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Wasn't this car an unequivocal failure? And they're bringing it back?!?

I actually liked the car, but it seems like nobody else did. I thought it was a real clean looking design, but if I was spending my money on a car like that, I would want something a little less anonymous
Old 02-07-07, 08:11 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Wasn't this car an unequivocal failure? And they're bringing it back?!?

I actually liked the car, but it seems like nobody else did. I thought it was a real clean looking design, but if I was spending my money on a car like that, I would want something a little less anonymous
Exactly my thoughts! When I read this thread title, I thought to myself "They didnt learn their lesson the FIRST time?!!"

The premise for this car just doesnt work here in America. Most people that spend 80-115k on a car, do not want to be asked "Wow this is a sweet VDub, what did it set you back?? 40k?" lol
Old 02-07-07, 09:19 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is probably the best deal you can get on a used car currently though. Useless next to an A8. Nobody wants to shell out $80k for a Volkswagen.
Old 02-07-07, 09:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

am i the only one who thinks it looks way too outdated for a 2011 model?
Old 02-07-07, 11:17 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Volkswagen still hasn't learned the meaning of its' name...."The people's car". I mean common, Quit trying to step on your upscale brother's toes (Audi).
Old 02-07-07, 11:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Im gonna be honest, the Phaeton IMO was a damn good car!! I got the chance to drive one a few years back at a dealership meet and I must say that car is incredible. Very luxurious interior, wood everywhere (even had motorized wood panels over the air vents), nice comfortable ride, quiet engine, tons of room and a damn nice rear seating package (that was until the LS460 w/executive package came out ). I wasnt fully sold on its exterior design as IMO the C-pillar and rear end looks very weird and out of place.

Its to bad that we give into image a lot here in America and the Phaeton couldn't survive on its true merits on being a great full size luxury sedan (and an alternative to MB/BMW/Audi).

As for the updated model, I heard conflicting reports that they will try with the Phaeton again in the U.S., and really tackle the problems it suffered here, but others say VW wont even bother bring it back and will just focus on the Euro market.

However, this sounds very interesting. Sounds like some futuristic stuff!! The Japanese, the leaders of all things electronics should be on top of stuff like this. Need to be more cutting edge IMHO.

VW won’t back down from making it the most over-engineered car in the world. Get ready for 53 different modes of automatic light adjustment and an electronic dash system that puts the space shuttle to shame.
Old 02-08-07, 05:21 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
am i the only one who thinks it looks way too outdated for a 2011 model?
That's the last generation picture.

I don't think they'll be bringing it back to the US. We have the A8. I could see if they made a car to compete with the Avalon, Maxima, etc. But this just doesn't fit into the VW AG.

I honestly think VW needs to reorganize their entire AG. They have a lot of toe stepping here.
Old 02-08-07, 05:26 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
I honestly think VW needs to reorganize their entire AG. They have a lot of toe stepping here.
Didn't they announce, within the last year or so, that they were going to stop shooting for the stars with their vehicles and accept middle-class status instead of trying to be upscale?
Old 02-08-07, 05:31 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Exactly my thoughts! When I read this thread title, I thought to myself "They didnt learn their lesson the FIRST time?!!"

The premise for this car just doesnt work here in America. Most people that spend 80-115k on a car, do not want to be asked "Wow this is a sweet VDub, what did it set you back?? 40k?" lol
Exactly!! Volkswagen is not a luxury brand, they need to stop trying to be something they are not. Focus on what they do best. I have heard more bad things about their quality and how they treat you after the sale than I can remember, and this comes from a Volkswagen owner!
Old 02-08-07, 05:41 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Didn't they announce, within the last year or so, that they were going to stop shooting for the stars with their vehicles and accept middle-class status instead of trying to be upscale?
I'm not sure.
The Phaeton and A8 can't both exist in the US market. They're essentially the same car.
Old 02-08-07, 07:12 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Gluttons for punishment I tell you...

Even the A8 has trouble selling in America and yet they want to try to sell
a luxury flagship at that price point with a VW badge.
They would be better off producing a 40-60K car that is an upscale
Avalon and to focus on their decreasing market share due to poor quality
and high cost issues.

Quick Reply: Next-generation VW Phaeton confirmed for 2011 . . .