Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus and snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 07:11 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
a B5 S4 is my DREAM CAR. I would love to have any Audi actually.
but B5 Audis are unreliable sadly. The last thing I need is missing a week of class because my car is in the shop.

and I guess it is the tires....dang it, that means I need to set my budget lower b/c i was hoping 12k (minus routine maintenance and whatnot).
If you change the Bi-pipe/Y-pipe of the 2.7L TT engine on the S4 the car can become really reliable.

However, usually the first batch of cars that go into the ditch in the snow storm are those with 4WD/AWD, because that badge gives the driver a false sense of security. 4WD/AWD helps you "go", but doesn't help you stop. It's a great thing to have in the car but only if you are not overconfidence in yourself or in the car.
Old 02-09-07, 07:21 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
If you change the Bi-pipe/Y-pipe of the 2.7L TT engine on the S4 the car can become really reliable.

However, usually the first batch of cars that go into the ditch in the snow storm are those with 4WD/AWD, because that badge gives the driver a false sense of security. 4WD/AWD helps you "go", but doesn't help you stop. It's a great thing to have in the car but only if you are not overconfidence in yourself or in the car.
I dunno, I hear so many reliability issues with B5s, even without engine problems.
and yeah, very true about AWD. Scares me when soccer moms with HUGE suvs is on my *** in snow thinking theyre indestructible because they have a suv...in real life, i bet all that weight makes them more prone to stopping in snow. but sure is fun when you can just point, and mash the gas. i had so much fun in snow with my subaru...not on public road of course.
Old 02-09-07, 07:36 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I dunno, I hear so many reliability issues with B5s, even without engine problems.
My wife had a first-year B5 1.8TQ. Glad we had almost no issue with that car after 70K mile. The only issue we have with the engine is the turbo waste-gate which is actually a recall. Other than that the car was awesome. We still miss it. Built and material quality is better than my brother's B6 in my opinion.
Old 02-09-07, 08:42 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

a B5 S4 is my DREAM CAR. I would love to have any Audi actually.
but B5 Audis are unreliable sadly. The last thing I need is missing a week of class because my car is in the shop.

and I guess it is the tires....dang it, that means I need to set my budget lower b/c i was hoping 12k (minus routine maintenance and whatnot).
For 12k you could always pay 12k upfront and lease a brand new A4 for two years.
Old 02-09-07, 09:12 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by mavericck
For 12k you could always pay 12k upfront and lease a brand new A4 for two years.
dont tempt me! i really wish i could but im only 24 and I owe my parents for undergrad and grad...the last thing I want to do is have a really nice car and not pay back my parents

ejumacation aint cheap but at least i can write good
Old 02-09-07, 09:26 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

dont tempt me! i really wish i could but im only 24 and I owe my parents for undergrad and grad...the last thing I want to do is have a really nice car and not pay back my parents

ejumacation aint cheap but at least i can write good
Good thing at least at 24 you know something about personal finance

Are you going to school at Indiana University Carmel campus?
Old 02-09-07, 10:17 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Good thing at least at 24 you know something about personal finance

Are you going to school at Indiana University Carmel campus?
i wish i didnt so id buy an Audi
and im going to the downtown one b/c i want to live in Carmel. There isnt a Carmel campus but i sure wish there was.
Old 02-09-07, 04:56 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used: 1997 SC300 with stock wheels/tires, 01 IS300 with stock rims and michelin all season tires, and 04 LS430 with stock wheels/tires and have been fine. 01 IS300 has the least tractions in the snow among these 3. Turning off the traction control helps a little bit too.
Old 02-09-07, 07:10 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Two words

SNOW TIRES

Blizzaks (WS50) are a bit overkill for where you live - they will be incredible but really suck in the dry. Consider a performance snow like the Dunlop M3 or if you can find them the Hakkapellita (sp). Also remember, you want the skinniest tire possible - so go with 16s if they will fit or 17s - but avoid the 18 and 19 unless you need them for clearance.
Old 02-10-07, 06:09 AM
kit cat

pvo>
that is one sweet LS! I love those last LS models. and Im sure the IS300 isnt good on snow considering its the lightest of the bunch...but it is a car i wanted since i was like 18...my friend got an IS300 so I'll have to ask him how his is doing now.
doug_999>
oh you mean bigger/wider isnt better (LOL)? I know, I watch the WRC, I know skinnier is better. And I've been in an 03-ish IS300 with Blizzaks on on dry pavement but it wasnt that bad actually.
Old 02-10-07, 08:39 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

oh you mean bigger/wider isnt better (LOL)? I know, I watch the WRC, I know skinnier is better. And I've been in an 03-ish IS300 with Blizzaks on on dry pavement but it wasnt that bad actually.
If you have been in an IS300 with Blizzaks then
1. You should know how well it does in the snow
2. You should have found out what Blizzaks were on it - there are two - the WS and the LM - the LM are the performance ones and they do very good in the dry and fair in the snow.
Old 02-10-07, 09:50 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Its all about the tires. Get a NICE set of winters. Pair that with "good" driving and you are set.

Personally, I don't drive that much in snow... and the streets get plowed quickly anyways, so I got some private label Good Years and they are great over all seasons.
Old 02-10-07, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a 2001 IS300 for 5 years, and while it was a marvelous car in some ways, I was never satisfied with its winter performance, even with ABS, traction control, snow-mode torque-limiting in the automatic transmission, and 55-series all-season tires. It was OK on rainy-wet or in mild wet-snow slush conditions, but on hard-packed or deep snow, ice, or really frozen surfaces, it was almost worthless, even with the electronic aids. On really frozen streets, The T/C light would flash on and off almost continuously while the car fishtailed left and right, even with a feather-foot.
I never tried my car out with purpose-designed snow tires, but its performance in bad winter conditions was so mediocre, even with all-season tires, that I doubt that the snow tires would have made that much of a difference.

My advice is to forget RWD if you are going to drive in significant winter conditions.
Get a good AWD vehicle.....my recommendations for AWD are, for under $35K, Subarus, for over $35K, Audi Quattros, Lexus GS AWD, or the Acura RL with its SH-AWD. If money were no object, I would buy the RL, hands-down....it is a superb machine, and both it and the Lexus have more reliabile electronics than Audis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by siamiam
just throw on some snow tyres, put some weight in the back and use some commen sense driving and your good to go blizzaks are great winter tyres.

ive got to drive on snow and ice every year from September through late April some times May and if you know what your doing and have the right equipment you will do fine.
On a RWD car, you are correct that snow tires and weight in the back can help, but still it is no substitute for AWD. You simply cannot beat AWD in slick conditions, especially with good winter tires......don't for example, expect a Subaru STi or Mitsubishi Evo to do well on the snow, even with AWD...their drag-strip, dry-weather tires just don't cut it.
Old 02-10-07, 08:28 PM
kit cat

doug_999>
I would assume it was a Blizzak LM b/c dry pavement ride quality wasnt bad at all even with skinny 16"s.

bizzy928>
yeah the major streets do get plowed so it should be ok. but still scary from time to time.

mmarshall>
I would LOVE to get a Legacy, but since I live in Japan, I get to see all the really really cool stock Legacys. BUT, those USDM Legacys? nah. I'd probably take a Legacy B4 2.0GT Spec.B over a lot of cars but thats not happening...

and winter in indiana isnt too bad compared to places like michigan (where i used to live) or other norhtern states. my friend has blizzaks on does just fine with his IS300. but thanks for the advice. ill keep in mind to not have all seasons tires on if i do get an IS300.