Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NEW Ford Mondeo @ 2007 Geneva Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 09:39 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volvo S40 anyone????

Old 02-10-07, 12:53 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
Volvo S40 anyone????

Nah, not really IMO. However the S40 does share platforms with the Euro Focus.

I like the look of this Mondeo. Definitely looks better than the Fusion/Taurus, but the rear lights still look out of place. Very big,clumsy lights while the body has a smooth yet chiseled look.
Old 02-10-07, 11:32 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, the stance of the car.... reminded me of the S40 right away... even though the modeo is a bigger car. Like an above poster said, not a bad thing. This is a pretty good looking car in comparison of anything else i've ever seen a blue oval on... and its supposed to be a great drive.
Old 02-10-07, 12:37 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

It looks good. They should bring it over here.
Old 02-10-07, 05:20 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmaynard
Looks nice. Too bad it's a Ford, and therefore sucks.

Just because it a ford doesn't mean it sucks.....
Old 02-10-07, 05:50 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front end looks
Interior...looks cheap.
Old 02-10-07, 05:52 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

It's still the Ford Motor Company. It still sucks.
Nothing sucks more than your ignorant and clueless posts.
Old 02-10-07, 06:25 PM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Nothing sucks more than your ignorant and clueless posts.
I wish I didn't have cause to have that opinion...but out of two Ford products I've bought new, both have had hideously expensive repairs needed well before they should have. The last straw was a 1992 Explorer Sport with a manual transmission that failed at 65000 miles. I had it rebuilt at a Ford dealer. 4000 miles later, it failed again. That fiasco cost me $3400, and Ford wouldn't do a thing for me - including honoring the repair warranty from the first rebuild.

The next vehicle I bought was a Toyota, and I've never bought anything else since. Neither I nor anyone else where I have any say in the matter will ever purchase anything from the Ford Motor Company again.

Last edited by jmaynard; 02-10-07 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 07:30 PM
TheGambler
Rookie

Looks pretty nice to me, although I definitely see some Volvo in it......which as another member said that is not a bad thing.
Old 02-10-07, 07:34 PM
TheGambler
Rookie

I wish I didn't have cause to have that opinion...but out of two Ford products I've bought new, both have had hideously expensive repairs needed well before they should have. The last straw was a 1992 Explorer Sport with a manual transmission that failed at 65000 miles. I had it rebuilt at a Ford dealer. 4000 miles later, it failed again. That fiasco cost me $3400, and Ford wouldn't do a thing for me - including honoring the repair warranty from the first rebuild.

The next vehicle I bought was a Toyota, and I've never bought anything else since. Neither I nor anyone else where I have any say in the matter will ever purchase anything from the Ford Motor Company again.
So your last experience with the company was 17 years ago, but all their vehicles since then have sucked? Most Japanese vehicles weren't the best either back in the 70s, but fast forward 17 years to the 90s and their vehicles were top notch. Now, I am not saying Fords are great vehicles, but my point is that basing your comments from an experience 17 years ago is a little ignorant.
Old 02-10-07, 07:35 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheGambler
So your last experience with the company was 17 years ago, but all their vehicles since then have sucked? Most Japanese vehicles weren't the best either back in the 70s, but fast forward 17 years to the 90s and their vehicles were top notch. Now, I am not saying Fords are great vehicles, but my point is that basing your comments from an experience 17 years ago is a little ignorant.

+1
Old 02-10-07, 09:00 PM
LexFather

I think it looks very good. Ford's Euro offerings are usually best or near best in class. They sell the 2nd most cars in Europe behind VW.

Old 02-11-07, 06:00 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by TheGambler
My last experience from the company was 13 years ago (the transmission problems happened in 1994). The problem was not the vehicle so much as the company: they refused to stand behind their product at all. I had similar issues with the previous vehicle, a 1983 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (what would you think about having to replace a camshaft at 31,000 miles?).

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. In 1992, I thought "well, Ford can't be as bad as they were in the 1980s. Why don't I try them again?" Look where that landed me. No, thanks. Never again. I refuse to give Ford any of my money, even indirectly: I switched away from Avis Car Rental when they refused to guarantee that I wouldn't get a Ford product. (The last straw there: My Avis Wizard profile said "No Fords!". The lady on my last rental told me "Your profile said no Fords, so I gave you a Mercury.")

If Ford wants me to even consider them again, they can start by paying me for the transmission they refused to support. Claiming that repairs from a Ford dealer would be covered by warranty at any other Ford dealer, then refusing to actually honor that, is a sure sign of a company that doesn't care the tiniest bit about its customers.
Old 02-11-07, 09:08 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

How are the interiors on Euro Fords? Do they use better quality plastics and materials?
Old 02-11-07, 11:25 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Take a look at the Lexus ES350 forum. You have transmissions failing @ 1000 miles. Times have changed and cars are different. The Ford of today is not the same as the Ford of yesterday. I feel more comfortable recommending a Fusion over a Camry right now.Unfortunately, perceptions like your's are very different to change as a result of constant media "import = superior" bombardment.

As car enthusiasts, you would expect people to know better, but it's the same here as well.

Quick Reply: NEW Ford Mondeo @ 2007 Geneva Motor Show