Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson ---Lexus LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 12:34 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

I found this interesting

The driver’s seat should be singled out for praise too. It’s like sitting on a sumo wrestler. Couple that to the gearbox, which changes so smoothly you cannot feel the shifts, and you have a car that can be compared to the Rolls-Royce Phantom.
Old 02-12-07, 01:18 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He made a big deal out of the acronyms. But there's just so much space on each button after all, and icons can often be just as confusing. Time to move some of the switches to the nav display?
Old 02-12-07, 01:30 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He actually likes the car. WOW!
Old 02-12-07, 01:37 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hameed
I found this interesting
The driver’s seat should be singled out for praise too. It’s like sitting on a sumo wrestler. Couple that to the gearbox, which changes so smoothly you cannot feel the shifts, and you have a car that can be compared to the Rolls-Royce Phantom.
From an Englishman no less, that's a huge compliment indeed.
Old 02-12-07, 02:03 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
The same message myself and other forum members have been trying to get across. Accept it for what it is, don't make it into something else.
We're not making it into something else. Just questioning why they can't make it comfortable, quiet, and somewhat interesting to drive. If you had to choose between stale/numb/lifeless and "somewhat engaging" (all else being equal), why would you choose stale/numb/lifeless?
Old 02-12-07, 02:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
We're not making it into something else. Just questioning why they can't make it comfortable, quiet, and somewhat interesting to drive. If you had to choose between stale/numb/lifeless and "somewhat engaging" (all else being equal), why would you choose stale/numb/lifeless?
Meets sales targets. check
One of the finest cars in the world. Check
A terrific flagship. Check

Not all cars are to be 911s or PRETEND they are 911s. These are 4500-5000lbs full blown luxury cars.

Old 02-12-07, 02:13 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_

I don't think this car exists yet - "comfortable, quiet, and somewhat interesting to drive. "

Quiet, comfortable and interesting to drive? That's a contradiction in terms.

As soon as it becomes interesting to drive, it is no longer comfortable and quiet.
Old 02-12-07, 02:27 PM
LexFather

I don't think this car exists yet - "comfortable, quiet, and somewhat interesting to drive. "

Quiet, comfortable and interesting to drive? That's a contradiction in terms.

As soon as it becomes interesting to drive, it is no longer comfortable and quiet.
Don't bother Hameed The car got 4/5 stars from Clarkson and people will continue to find faults.
His conclusion on the 335. 3 outta 5 stars and here is a car trying to blend it all
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle1264971.ece

Old 02-12-07, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
what are you talking about?
Old 02-12-07, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Don't bother Hameed The car got 4/5 stars from Clarkson and people will continue to find faults.
His conclusion on the 335. 3 outta 5 stars and here is a car trying to blend it all
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...cle1264971.ece
hehe... yeah, this is the best lexus review from JC yet...
Old 02-12-07, 04:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found this interesting
Indeed. Very complimentary, the Lexus and the Rolls-Royce.

Although I think it would be more comfortable to sit in the LS than on a person.
Old 02-12-07, 05:18 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

"But it’s all a bit nasty, if you see what I mean — the half-timbered steering wheel especially."

Hey, that's two people (me and JC) that HATE wood steering wheels. Who else wants into the club?
Old 02-12-07, 06:43 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Meh, I like the LOOK of wood steering wheels, but I like the feel of leather steering wheels better. I'm undecided on that.
Old 02-12-07, 07:36 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by bruce van
I have to really agree with Clarkson the whole acronym usage in cars today. It really is out of control. I even have to think twice when I see the DSC button on my car. I a bit of a nerd at heart so it's not a big deal for me, but most people who don't sit down and read the manual are going to be completely clueless.

For example, if you see the DAC button on your new Toyota, do you know what that is for? Not very intuitive is it? Anyone car to take a stab at it? Or HAC?
I had no idea what those acronym means either, last time I sat in one I just mash it with my fist repeatly while making primal noises until the damn thing does what I wanted it do.
Old 02-12-07, 07:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
"But it’s all a bit nasty, if you see what I mean — the half-timbered steering wheel especially."

Hey, that's two people (me and JC) that HATE wood steering wheels. Who else wants into the club?
Originally Posted by Och
Meh, I like the LOOK of wood steering wheels, but I like the feel of leather steering wheels better. I'm undecided on that.
me too. I love the looks, but I dont like the slippery feel of it. It feels tacky compared to full leather.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson ---Lexus LS460