Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson ---Lexus LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 11:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

PLEASE NO MORE MENTION OF BMW IN THIS LS460 THREAD, I promise I will whack them all if I see another post
Old 02-12-07, 11:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
"But it’s all a bit nasty, if you see what I mean — the half-timbered steering wheel especially."

Hey, that's two people (me and JC) that HATE wood steering wheels. Who else wants into the club?
I am with your in this doug. I don't understand why people like wood steering. I could care less about how it looks. But it's just so nasty to hold it, esp when the hands are sweating and slippery. And it's too cold to hold it when it weather is a bit chilly. Nothing, i mean absolutely nothing great about wood steering.

And Thank god they dont make IS with wood steering.
Old 02-13-07, 02:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I am with your in this doug. I don't understand why people like wood steering. I could care less about how it looks. But it's just so nasty to hold it, esp when the hands are sweating and slippery. And it's too cold to hold it when it weather is a bit chilly. Nothing, i mean absolutely nothing great about wood steering.

And Thank god they dont make IS with wood steering.
interesting enough, between my sc430 (wood wheel) and gs400 (full leather), leather is colder during winter time
Old 02-13-07, 08:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting enough, between my sc430 (wood wheel) and gs400 (full leather), leather is colder during winter time
I agree, & actually, the wood steering wheel on my SC feels less slippery than some full leather steering wheels I have driven.
Old 02-13-07, 08:19 AM
LexFather

I like the wood steering wheels. Never been an issue. I can't wait to get rid of my all leather on my GS and swap for a wood wheel.

Old 02-13-07, 08:48 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I nearly burned my hands after my old S500 sat in the sun all day and I gripped the wheel. I don't think the wheel on my SC ever got that hot. I think they both got equally cold to me. I'm on the line with wood steering wheels. I love the way they look, but I prefer the all leather ones.

Anyway, I'm glad about the article, because the LS, in what it sets out to accomplish, does it impeccably well, probably better than anyone at any price point. I don't think the LS is set out to be the best driver's car, so it shouldn't be scrutinized to be one. There are other cars in the Lexus lineup that do, like the IS, that should be scrutinized in like company.

This has been my pet peeve with car comparos. The other German marques do what they do very well, and Lexus does what it does the best in class.

There are times when I don't want to hear, feel, carve the road. After a long day's work and everything is pissing you off, getting into a soft, extremely quiet environment with some music playing as you go home is all you want. I used to cherish my S500 for that (compared to my SC300 which after everything I've done, is much louder and harsher riding than it was originally), I can only imagine the LS. I guess that's why so many ES's sell, too. I miss the S, one of the reasons I have resisted the urge to go bigger on the rims for my SC.

Last edited by T0ked; 02-13-07 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-13-07, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I don't like wood steering wheels, at all. I like wood on car interiors, but I like some padding in the steering wheel, all the way around.
Old 02-13-07, 12:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The problem with real leather steering wheels is the wear they experience. You'll probably notice a lot of wear after about 7 or 8 years in the spots that you hold the most.
Old 02-14-07, 08:47 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I agree, & actually, the wood steering wheel on my SC feels less slippery than some full leather steering wheels I have driven.
I've heard this before and find it amazing because my experience is 100% the opposite. It must have something to do with the climate one lives in and the wood/leather combo you are comparing. My wood steering wheel got too hot to touch in the summer and was always shockingly cold in the winter. I've got a heated steering wheel now and I swear I will not own a car again without it (if possible).
Old 02-14-07, 09:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

We never get too hot in here, so heat under the sun is never a problem.
But in very hot climates, which I have experienced before as well when I was in the tropics , after a couple hours under the sun, the entire interior of the car was like an oven, even the leather seats felt scorching. Sun shades on the dash would help, & you want to turn on the A/C & let the interior (steering wheel/leather seats & all) cool down for a while before you get in & drive anyway.
Never too cold here either, but it does get below zero for a few days, but the leather wheels feel just as cold as the wood to me. The wood steering wheel on the LS460 is heated anyways, I haven't tried it though .
Old 02-14-07, 09:07 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard this before and find it amazing because my experience is 100% the opposite. It must have something to do with the climate one lives in and the wood/leather combo you are comparing. My wood steering wheel got too hot to touch in the summer and was always shockingly cold in the winter. I've got a heated steering wheel now and I swear I will not own a car again without it (if possible).
I've got an Alcantara steering wheel and wear gloves, so no real issues here with heat/cold.
Old 02-14-07, 04:40 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
We never get too hot in here, so heat under the sun is never a problem.
But in very hot climates, which I have experienced before as well when I was in the tropics , after a couple hours under the sun, the entire interior of the car was like an oven, even the leather seats felt scorching. Sun shades on the dash would help, & you want to turn on the A/C & let the interior (steering wheel/leather seats & all) cool down for a while before you get in & drive anyway.
Never too cold here either, but it does get below zero for a few days, but the leather wheels feel just as cold as the wood to me. The wood steering wheel on the LS460 is heated anyways, I haven't tried it though .
We went for a test drive in an XC90 last year during the winter and the minute my wife touched the steering wheel she immediately took her hands off it and said "THAT'S COLD!". I had not even peppered her with my wood steering wheels suck comments at the time

Incendiary - the Alcantara steering wheel is VERY nice. However it really suffers from wear (at least on the used 330pp I've looked at).

BTW they had your car at the Chicago Autoshow as their certified example (steering wheel was however perfect btw).
Old 02-14-07, 04:54 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

We went for a test drive in an XC90 last year during the winter and the minute my wife touched the steering wheel she immediately took her hands off it and said "THAT'S COLD!". I had not even peppered her with my wood steering wheels suck comments at the time

Incendiary - the Alcantara steering wheel is VERY nice. However it really suffers from wear (at least on the used 330pp I've looked at).

BTW they had your car at the Chicago Autoshow as their certified example (steering wheel was however perfect btw).
Yes, it is starting to show wear after 3 years, but because of my gloves (I got them to protect the wheel) it's not nearly as bad as it would be otherwise.

I'd always thought I'd want a wood steering wheel. Do they suck even with the heating option? I guess there's no cooling option for the summer, though...
Old 02-14-07, 05:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you gotta be kidding me, you wear gloves to protect steering wheel?
Old 02-14-07, 08:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Yes, it is starting to show wear after 3 years, but because of my gloves (I got them to protect the wheel) it's not nearly as bad as it would be otherwise.

I'd always thought I'd want a wood steering wheel. Do they suck even with the heating option? I guess there's no cooling option for the summer, though...
Only the LS460 has the heating option with wood. A certain 3 letter car company starting with B offers the heated steering wheel option in the 5 and (I think) the 7. Audi used to offer it in their A6 line but I think they discontinued it. My friend has it in his previous gen Maxima. It is so sweet.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson ---Lexus LS460