Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler design-chief talks up production Demon Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 06:49 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they better make this unlike the Slingshot that got the ax.
Old 02-13-07, 03:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Two things which annoy me about the interior:

1. Cupholders: extremely poor location. They look to be placed exactly where your arm would rest while shifting.

2. Tweeters: also poor location. The driver's side tweeter looks to be blocked by the steering wheel. Probably poor tonality.

Designwise, I guess it's a decent effort. Not my cup of tea though. After staring at the angled fender arches for awhile, I decided I don't like that look. I'd rather have the angle of the fender match the top of the wheels:

Last edited by pvmike1; 02-13-07 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 06:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Chrysler design-chief talks up production Demon Roadster

Posted on Friday 17 August 2007

With Cerberus Capital Management in charge of Chrysler, the immediate goal for execs is to implement a massive turnaround plan which will see thousands of jobs lost and extensive cost cutting in most departments. Last month, plans for the flagship Imperial sedan were thrown out and any new model will be scrutinized more so than usual before getting the green light.

One of these new models is a production version of the Dodge Demon concept that was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show earlier this year. According to Chrysler’s Design Chief Trevor Creed, who spoke recently with Wards Auto, the new Demon is at the top of his agenda and that conditions for this car getting the go-ahead is ideal.

The concept’s efficient 2.4L four-cylinder engine is in line with a general trend towards smaller engines by consumers, while its “edgy” styling will keep it looking fresh for the foreseeable future, Creed boasted. Aimed at the same “affordable performance” section of the market as Mazda’s popular MX-5/Miata, the new Demon would be priced around the $15,000 mark.
via motorauthority
Old 08-17-07, 08:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not a bad deal for 15k honestly. With a lifetime powertrain warranty it might not be a bad deal....

but it IS looking to be very very slow and probably drives like a brick on wheels.
Old 08-17-07, 02:51 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Lucky, Dodge is a brand I would never consider buying anyway...
Old 08-17-07, 02:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Looks like a cross between S2k and Audi TT, with a fugly dodge grille. Ironically enough, the S2K is 7 years old, and I still think it's the most gorgeous car ever built, and this thing is still a concept and already fugly.
An uglified S2k + TT is exactly my first reaction to the pics. Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-17-07, 03:32 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An S2000 and Z4 had a child.
Old 08-17-07, 03:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by toy4two
We shall name him "mistake"

Old 08-17-07, 04:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

watch it get butchered/cheapened from concept to production
Old 08-17-07, 05:00 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why does every Dodge car have to take up on the evil side?

Originally Posted by toy4two
lawlz.
Old 08-17-07, 09:45 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hit it at $15k, esp. as a fourth or fifth car.
Old 08-17-07, 11:43 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Thats not a bad deal for 15k honestly. With a lifetime powertrain warranty it might not be a bad deal....
Yeah, what other roadster can you get for about $15k out there?

I think it's the name "demon" that is worthy of the power.

I'd rather get a saturn sky though
Old 02-14-14, 07:06 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default SRT Fans Want a Subaru BRZ Rival (Maybe based on Dodge Demon Concept?)

Please note the photos are of the 2007 Dodge Demon Concept.

Is Chrysler’s SRT performance division planning a second all-new car? Brand CEO Ralph Gilles won’t say, but fans are asking for a compact performance car he reveals.

Currently the only true SRT vehicle is the new Viper, with the remaining SRT badged cars all being high-performance versions of existing Chrysler family models, ranging from the Charger to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

In a sit-down interview with Gilles he revealed that the feedback the company has received from its fans, in particular through social media, hasn’t gone unnoticed. “When are you going to have your own BRZ,” he says, paraphrasing the comments he hears from SRT owners. “I’m happy to see that a lot of our fans want that,” he says. “They ask us about that a lot.”

A CEO and a car designer, Gilles is a true enthusiast at heart and known for taking his own Viper to the racetrack. “It’s exciting to think that way,” he says, revealing his true feelings about the concept of an affordable SRT performance car.

While the SRT brand today is known only for its V8-powered monsters, not that long ago things were different. “We’ve had two generations of SRT4s,” Gilles reminisces. “We’ve had Crossfires, we’ve had pickup trucks.”

“The community goes deep,” he says, mentioning in particular those owners of SRT4 models (both Caliber and Neon), who are the ones asking for a new compact performance car from the SRT brand. Chrysler might not have sold an SRT-badged compact since the suped-up Caliber was cancelled in 2009, but fans of the old SRT4s, “still care about what we’re up to,” Gilles says.

Not long before the Caliber SRT4 was discontinued, Chrysler revealed the Demon concept (above). A front-engine rear-drive roadster it was designed to bookend the Dodge performance lineup, with the Viper sitting at the opposite end of the spectrum. Revealed at the Geneva Motor Show in 2007 it was powered by a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder making around 170 hp. No official word was ever given on the car’s fate.

Sine the debut of the new Dart, rumors have swirled that an SRT4 model was in the works, sporting as much as 300 hp. A production version, however, has yet to materialize.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...brz-rival.html
Old 02-14-14, 07:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I was kind of surprised that Chrysler never put this car into production. It looks very production ready. But than I remember the Sky and Pontiac ended production in 2009 Chrysler probably did not think there was a market for such a car. Also, after the bail out they had much more important priorities to attend too. Not to mention the economy slowed down around that time as well. So it made sense to shelve the project. But now after the Fiat merger and the success of the BRZ/FR-S it seems that Chrysler wants a to join the small lightweight rear wheel drive segment.
Old 02-14-14, 09:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

They should def add a vehicle like this to the Chrysler or Dodge stable