Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear attacked by American rednecks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 07:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh lord. So many pots calling kettles black here!!!

While there are quite a few bush supporters down here, not everyone here is a redneck; in fact there are plenty of people just like you here too (people who think they are better than someone, for whatever reason that is).

I honestly can't believe people say they'd be scared down here. I live in a VERY ethnically diverse city in Alabama and go to a VERY ethnically diverse university. In Alabama, there is a lot of "old money". People who are classic southern-raised, southern-baptist, and support big businesses because thats where their investments are. They DO NOT reflect on the general population.

Those guys were in less-settled areas that are still super-country and outside the influence that a larger city would impose. There are TONS of places in the USA that are just as backwoods as that. In fact, judging by the water, it looks like they were down here in Mobile or Baldwin county. And it really depends on where you drive. But that shot up sign isnt anywhere around here. Its probably in middle alabama somewhere west of montgomery. That pride station looks very familiar to one out in West Mobile county on highway 98 in Wilmer. That was pretty staged imo. No video of rocks being thrown, just sounds and running and people saying "get out". Its so easy to manipulate something on film, take a look at Michael Moore for instance.

Please curb the ignorant stereotyping here tho... you fall into one yourself... the ignorant, anti-social yankee that think's they're better than everyone else.... oh and makes up stupid names like "whip" and likes to pretend they're italian You don't hear me running around trying to talk like a Viking or a Celt...

Last edited by Bean; 02-12-07 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-12-07, 08:16 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, those guys are serious about their NASCAR and Country Western LOL!
Old 02-12-07, 08:19 PM
LexFather

U know, I am tempted to go to the U.K and buy a Jag and drive around "MADE BY FORD" and on teh other side "high taxes are the best" and "George Bush for Prime Minister".

Old 02-12-07, 08:24 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Hahah that was...sad They shouldn't have done that..its insensitive.
But if someone was coming up to my car -pull out the gun/club/knife/selfdefense weapon- Who;s gonna pay for the damage to their cars from having the rocks thrown? Soda Definetly ruin the paint job.
What if they did that to one of YOUR Lexus'es? I'd call the police for that matter....
Old 02-12-07, 09:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
U know, I am tempted to go to the U.K and buy a Jag and drive around "MADE BY FORD" and on teh other side "high taxes are the best" and "George Bush for Prime Minister".

I swear to God, you're the funniest dude on the internet.
Old 02-12-07, 11:08 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

they were in the very tip of Alabama between Florida and Mississippi. Their trip went from Miami -> New Orleans
Old 02-12-07, 11:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were all acting out.
Old 02-13-07, 05:46 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Are you sure you aren't here already - I swear I saw that car on the road this morning.
Old 02-13-07, 05:55 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whoster
they were in the very tip of Alabama between Florida and Mississippi. Their trip went from Miami -> New Orleans

HAHAHA

I CAN ATTEST!! That Alabama is worse than Mississippi!! Except that the folks in Alabama are alot more polite. Too bad we blocked Youtube at work the other day I'd love to watch that!!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the majority of you know this... and if it really matters, but the majority of the south, in and around the bible belt is strictly conservative republican.

So if they actually put Hillary for President on the back of a car they were asking for trouble! Heck!! You get double looks for having Kerry > Bush on the back of your car! Okay, not to go off on a political tangent.

Funny though.
Old 02-13-07, 06:30 AM
Matters
Pole Position

That was a suicide mission! Funniest/scariest thing I have seen in a while.
Old 02-13-07, 07:07 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

That was a juvenile response by those people.

LOL at the flame baiting by Clarkson et al...
Old 02-13-07, 12:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

When my parents said they would be moving to Alabama for a job I was not very happy even though I was going to college on the east coast because I thought Alabama would be full of angry ignorant racist pickup driving redneck hicks in rundown rural areas like what was shown in that Topgear video from watching all hollywood and media stereotypes that portray the south that way. I was expecting it to be like My Cousin Vinny where I would standout just like Pesci did. I was pleasantly surprised when visiting Huntsville, Alabama that it is so completely opposite of those stereotypes and just like any modern city/town on the east coast except there is generally far less crime, most people are not as ignorant and shady and have much better morals down in the south then I was used to living all around the U.S. especially the east coast. People down here watch the same tv as people on the east coast and surf the internet just like people in the north and do the same things and they are not all that much different besides being a little more conservative and a little more religious. It is not full of racist toothless hicks looking to attack people who drive foreign cars or have Hillary Clinton stickers on their cars. Actually to me Delaware is a much more backwards state then Alabama and I have met some of the most close minded racist people there especially working at union construction sites who give you a bunch of crap for driving a foreign car then what I experienced with people in Alabama. Their are more people in Delaware, Northeast Maryland, and parts of PA that embrace the redneck lifestyle then people in this area of Alabama.

Although that could possibly happen on that Top Gear episode I have a feeling it was faked when they did not really get much of a response except for people maybe looking at them strange or laughing at them. Lets see they decide on a episode they are going to try to show people of the south as violent hillbillies and go through the trouble of shooting an episode and when they don't get the desired result what do you think they are going to do just say oh well. I bet after not getting their desired reaction they asked some people to act like that just like you would expect from a Hollywood movie. It just seems a little fake, the random hillbilly lady screaming at them that she does not like whats on their cars and she is going to call the good ol boys who pull right up in a pickup truck and start throwing rocks and chasing them. This all happens in the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to pump gas and the car must magically break down at the right moment to keep them their a little longer-seems straight out of a hollywood movie. Judging by Clarksons constant attacks on Americans and their cars it is not surprising that he would want an episode to show Americans especially people in the south like that and would fake it for the desired effect and fullfill the stereotypes. In any case they pretty much deserve what they got if they are going looking for trouble.

If they wanted to get attacked, robbed, or shot especially for just minding their own business they would be better off going to areas in some blue states like Compton, South central, gang infested areas of LA, areas in Chicago, Trenton NJ as well as other parts of Jersey, parts of Philly, parts of Baltimore, and areas of New York city instead of trying to get a desired affect from the stereotypical hillbilly red states. Top Gear is still an entertaining show and Clarkson can be entertaining when he is not constantly taking cheap shots which gets old after a while. It is ashame that some people from the North and other countries think that is all that inhabits the south and form their biased opinion from what they see on TV or read in magazines.

Last edited by UDel; 02-13-07 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 05:12 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

UDel,

Very well said! Thank you.
Old 02-13-07, 06:20 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't spent too much time in AL, but i visited Oxford, MS (Ole Miss). While there were a lot of very nice people there, I was surprised this day and age we were heckled for a group of about 11 south asians and whites hanging out together. We were minding our own business too. It kind of put a very bad taste in my mouth about the south. I figured if people who were supposedly "educated" students were like this, then what are the non-eudcated people like...
Old 02-13-07, 06:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Man, those area's are scary. I guess there's no free speech over there!! I won't judge all of Alabama that way, but wow, Iraq is looking a little safer.

It's funny hearing some comments about the east coast not being as religous as the south. There's a Christian or Catholic church every other block up here and all fill up every Sunday and Wednesday night. We may not be the conservative extreme, but we also live our lives for God.

Oh, and country music is very popular up here to. Listened to it all my life but also love heavy rock/alternative/Nu-metal music as well.

People in those parts of the Country just need to open up their mind a little and be more accepting. It's not Christian to be hateful to people who don't conform to old southern interests.

Quick Reply: Top Gear attacked by American rednecks