Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new LS 600h

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07 | 03:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
hp determines how fast you can go, the hybrid has good tq

who said the 600hl is going to compete with the sport version of the competitors? lexus is just coming out with the is-f. get a life
But if Lexus is going to stick a 600 badge on their flagship, it better be able to compete with its competitors.
Old 02-14-07 | 03:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
But if Lexus is going to stick a 600 badge on their flagship, it better be able to compete with its competitors.
The numbers are based on if the engine was a traditonal engine with 2 more cylinders.
The RX 400h does indeed perform and have the numbers of a 4.0 V-8 SUV.
The GS 450h does the same, performing like a 4.5 liter V-8.

The only odd thing is the 600h is jumping from 8 cylinders to 12 hypothetically, instead of the performance of a V-10.

Either rocks!
Old 02-14-07 | 03:24 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
You don't think the LS 600 can compete with it's competion?
Old 02-14-07 | 03:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The 12 cyclinder BMW 760iL has about the same at 438 HP and that's the "sports car" in the high luxury class. And, like the MB's, it is much more expensive and can't even begin to compare on technological appointments.

If a neck snapping 430+ HP isn't enough for you, then what is?
Old 02-14-07 | 03:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its fun slapping people with facts. Never gets old. Why don't you look up the V-10 S8/S6 Audi or the 760Li V-12 BMWs power figures or the Audi W-12...
Benz is CLEARLY the HP leader. They have exotic car HP numbers on their V-12 cars.

I won't even post them to make you look siller. Just look them up. (google)

Bishing about a car that has not even been sold yet or tested it. Classic.
760 is rather old, and its sales numbers are so insignificant, it almost doesn't count. BMW has a v10 engine with 500hp in the M5, and the future 7 series will probably receive one of its variants. But even then, its still making 8 more HP than LS600.

Audi has S8 with 450hp V10, and the W12 also making 450hp, and both of these older engines are still more powerful than Lexus newest offering.

Both Audi and BMW will get updated soon and Lexus as usual will get stuck being the underperformer.
Old 02-14-07 | 03:33 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Originally Posted by Och
760 is rather old, and its sales numbers are so insignificant, it almost doesn't count. BMW has a v10 engine with 500hp in the M5, and the future 7 series will probably receive one of its variants. But even then, its still making 8 more HP than LS600.

Audi has S8 with 450hp V10, and the W12 also making 450hp, and both of these older engines are still more powerful than Lexus newest offering.

Both Audi and BMW will get updated soon and Lexus as usual will get stuck being the underperformer.
Because the other cars are playing catch up now to Lexus.
Old 02-14-07 | 03:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
You don't think the LS 600 can compete with it's competion?
No. Just no. It doesn't hold a candle to S600.

Now don't get me wrong, it is a great car, and I believe LS460L is much superior to 750L, S550, and A8L, however the LS600 is too little too late.
Old 02-14-07 | 03:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och

Great excuses. Now let me ask you this. Where are the German Hybrids at? People constatly bish about Lexus not having something, well the Germans have no answer to hybrids.

The stats on the hybrogen 7 are laughable. Your arguing a point even Lexus doesn't want to argue. They stated they are doing things the NEW way, hybrids. Not just adding more cylinders, anyone can do that.

IMO, both ways are great ways.
Old 02-14-07 | 04:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It's ridiculous to think that everytime a new model comes out it has to have more HP than the rest of the class. When does it ever stop? 1,000 HP sedans? 1,500 HP sedans? With Och's reasoning, it would eventually lead to that.
Old 02-14-07 | 04:11 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Did everyone overlook the fact that it's going to be All wheel drive, or am I just late to the party?
Old 02-14-07 | 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great excuses. Now let me ask you this. Where are the German Hybrids at? People constatly bish about Lexus not having something, well the Germans have no answer to hybrids.

The stats on the hybrogen 7 are laughable. Your arguing a point even Lexus doesn't want to argue. They stated they are doing things the NEW way, hybrids. Not just adding more cylinders, anyone can do that.

IMO, both ways are great ways.
So let them make a V12 TT-H to show MB who's boss.
Old 02-14-07 | 06:25 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
How can most of you argue about what Lexus should do and not do with this car when you are not even in the position to purchase one? Lexus is not marketing this car to you! For those that are in the market for a car in this segment, by all means share your opinions.
OK, the two cars on my short list right now are the LS600hL and the S8. I had a previous bad experience with BMW that will keep me away from them (as if their new styling wouldn't by itself), and MB reliability is simply too poor for cars at this price point.

I'm not comparing HP figures, or 0-60 times, or skidpad figures, or anything like that. I know that both of these cars will be competent to outstanding performers. I'm more concerned with things like ergonomics, aesthetics, and build quality. And it will take a detailed look, in person, at both cars to make a fair comparison. I'm hardly going to make a decision like this based on magazine comparos or web board opinions.

That being said, to me the LS600hL is absolutely in the same league as the A8/S8, S550, and 750i. It is not in the same league as the S600/55/65 or 760i, but that's because those cars are premium priced simply to be exclusive. No one, NO ONE needs that much power in a street sedan. At that point it's all about bragging rights.
Old 02-14-07 | 06:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
So let them make a V12 TT-H to show MB who's boss.
So Och, I'm guessing you drive one of the V12's? Because it seems like you won't settle for anything less.

Maybe you wouldn't, but I'd take Lexus' new V8 mated with the latest hybrid technology before a V12 anyday.
Old 02-14-07 | 07:05 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i struggled with lexus for over a yr to get the magazine, what a battle @_@
i hear ya henry...i was getting it then i moved went online signed up and now am pissed because my client called me and told me about it but i don't have it!
Old 02-14-07 | 10:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Och
lol you let numbers speak like that? that's very sad

760 indicates 600 as well, you want to go blame bmw?

Quick Reply: The new LS 600h