Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I got rear ended tonight, possibly totalled, pics included

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 06:23 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
Good boy! Glad you are ok. You probably won't feel the ache until 2~3 days after. Take good care of yourself buddy
Yeah, I'm waiting to see how my body reacts. It's been 24 hours and my body is holding up well.

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Glad you are OK & nobody got hurt, hope all things go well for you in the repair/replacement of your ride, & better luck in the future.
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm happy to hear that no one was hurt.

It's unfortunate that you have to go through the hassle of insurance and car repairs (or car shopping) and all the time lost to deal with the matter.

I wish you the best in handling the situation. Hopefully, all goes well.
Originally Posted by Seize
Ouch Dav! Glad to hear you're alright...and that's what really matters.
Thanks fellas

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Sorry to hear the news Dav!!!!

That damage will buff right out!

Seriously though, I would doubt that the car will be totalled. I would also be surprised if they said there WAS frame damage. Looks to me like the crumple zones did their job. The damage appears to me to look more serious due to the angle in which the driver behind you hit at.

You attitude is to be commended!!! I agree with the "5 minute rule", except mine tends to be closer to the "5 day rule"!

Good luck!
The blue book on this car is about $9,000 (99 ES - 103,000 miles) and the damage is fairly extensive. I had to work hard to get the trunk to open (and now it won't close), and the back right door won't open. I'll certainly give an update when I take it to the bodyshop and they give their opinion.

Originally Posted by iasc300
yes your attitude is something to be admired- i know i wouldnt be as calm or understanding as you- but im glad your alright and gl in college dave - peace
Hehe, seconds after impact I was no longer upset. I knew that I couldn't change a thing so there was no point in sulking. The first thing I did after I asked the guy if he was OK was give him a big hug It certainly took him by surprise but I could tell that it made him feel much better right away. I figure he's already under a lot of stress and is probably freaking out, so getting confrontational with him would have resulted in a less than favorable scenario (even more so). I aimed to calm him down and befriend him so that everything after that could go as smooth as possible.

Originally Posted by STIG
Glad that you are ok Dav!

Btw, do you have cloth seat on ur lexus?? just curious.
It is indeed cloth... the only Lex I've ever seen with cloth seats! The material was actually really good and I never regretted going cloth over leather.

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Dav, glad to hear you're alright! The car did its' job.

I was bummed when my GS was hit, but I made lemonade from lemon -
I turned the incident into an opportunity to re-do the entire car.

On the first-gen ES, my guess is it'll be cheaper to replace rather than repair
the car. The crumpled quarter panel is a good indicator of what lurks beneath.

My GS needed "only" a fender, bumper, headlight, and fog light and the repair bill was $5K...
We'll see how much my car "only" needs btw, it's a second gen ES (1999) If this car is totalled, I am not sure what other car to get. Perhaps an SC300?
Old 02-14-07, 11:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Davtown
The first thing I did after I asked the guy if he was OK was give him a big hug It certainly took him by surprise but I could tell that it made him feel much better right away. I figure he's already under a lot of stress and is probably freaking out, so getting confrontational with him would have resulted in a less than favorable scenario (even more so). I aimed to calm him down and befriend him so that everything after that could go as smooth as possible.
So did they find his body in the dumpster yet?
Old 02-14-07, 11:10 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

good to see an ES protect a person in an accident. shame to see it like that though. looks like you did the red spray tail light mod. hope things turn out for the better.
Old 02-14-07, 11:25 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So did they find his body in the dumpster yet?
Not yet

Originally Posted by ChrisES
good to see an ES protect
a person in an accident. shame to see it like that though. looks like you did the red spray tail light mod. hope things turn out for the better.
Yes, I am very glad that I was safe in this situation! The ES did a good job. About the taillights, I have done zero mods to my car. That taillight mod you see is actually just photoshop "Color balance -> Increase Saturation"
Old 02-14-07, 11:52 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davtown
The car is still driveable as I drove it back all the way home (~15 miles),
it's because it is fwd. Sorry I just had to poke it; I wouldn't have made it if it were my car.
Old 02-15-07, 06:10 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

glad youre ok, bottom line that is all that matters. Great attitude
Old 02-15-07, 08:38 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, he rammed you pretty hard...Its nice to see that you're okay and with such a positive attitude.
Old 02-15-07, 04:30 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

OUCH! I'm glad you're not hurt.