Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M.Waltrip's NASCAR Toyota In Trouble???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 07:19 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, they say it's jet fuel... or something similar...
Old 02-14-07, 08:29 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
BMW has to be behind this somewhere.
ROFL... I knew somebody going to blame it on someone... and I am not surprised that BMW came up first.. if not, it gotta be the MB...... hahaha..

BTW NASCAR SUCKS.
Old 02-14-07, 10:30 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldnt rule out sabotage but to blame a manufacturer thats not even participating in NASCAR is a bit far fecthed IMO. It was a very good laugh though!
Old 02-14-07, 10:33 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
Good god... takes 14 posts in this thread to implicate BMW....

Yes we all know that Toyota is far too holy to have any of this happen to their cars.

Sabotage by BMW? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING....

Sheesh... we're in full blown fanboy mode these days.
he probably WAS joking..........
Old 02-15-07, 12:13 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
I know how much we all love jumping to conclusions but everyone should just wait and see what happens. NASCAR has impounded the car and hauled it off to their facility for a few quick tests. The worst part is that when they let them get the backup car and try to run it, shebang, the same deposit happened meaning "the substance" was probably in the fuel system and not just the manifold runners. And it was in the backup as well as the primary car.

I applaud those of you who are already seeing sabotage in this in a racing series, like most, that has a long and rich history of cheating. BMW has to be behind this somewhere. Let NASCAR rip the car apart and see what they find. I truly doubt that someone put a sterno can in the fuel system to boost the fuel. Of all the things that NASCAR cheaters have "tinkered" around with, gasoline isn't usually one of them. Definitely not the case in F1 where the top teams at one time had highly engineered fuels designed by their sponsor. Didn't even look like gasoline but more like a gel. Then again, where would Mikey and Buffy get access to F1 fuel technology? I also suspect that unless NASCAR has given Mikey a clean bill of health, and get really torqued off, they could just say no DAYTONA for Mikey. It's all just speculation but evidently it was obvious that Mikey had found something out for qualification as he picked up a couple of seconds. Hard to understand this really as the little I have read indicate that the Toyota motor is not down on power. Strange.

Wow, you spoke on many topics and were wrong on most, first there was nothing quick about this, car was impounded on Sunday, there was no backup car used they confiscated the intake and installed a new one so when the substance shows up again we know it's in the fuel system, said substance was designed to form a gel as it was burned giving a quick horsepower boost for two laps of qualifying and disappear, most of the inspectors focus at Daytona is on restrictor plates and body (aero) advantages so it would make sense to try an area that gets little if no attention, odds of an inspector sticking his hand down that intake were very low, he may have found a couple of tenths not seconds, nobody that far off could be taken seriously, and as for not letting him race, he pulls out his teammates backup car at 4PM, it takes until 7PM and a ton of body filler to get through body tech, by then the garage is closed, so IF he makes it through the rest of tech inspections in the morning he gets to race a car with no track time for adjustments, the word longshot would be an understatement for him making the race, I don't get the BMW part.
Old 02-15-07, 01:51 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I smell sabotage...I just cannot see Toyota wanting any bad press for their debut in Nascar
Sabotage would be unlikely unless it was someone on the team. Also, generally if someone outside the team wanted to sabotage a competitor, they wouldn't do something that gives their competitor a performance advantage. I just think in this case the rolled the dice and got caught. Nothing new. Most crew chiefs in NASCAR say if you are not pushing the rules and bending them as far as they can they are not doing their job. Cheating, or pushing the rules in racing especially NASCAR is nothing new. The difference is NASCAR lately is trying to clean up their sport and cracking down harder then before. The Toyota team probably just got caught at the wrong time.
Old 02-15-07, 05:37 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sabotage claims: ABSURD!!!

Why would BMW try to make the Camry run faster? Would that not be the exact opposite of sabotage?

And did BMW or MB or the tooth fairy also "sabotage" the other 4 teams too also caught cheating?
Old 02-15-07, 05:56 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Sabotage claims: ABSURD!!!

And did BMW or MB or the tooth fairy also "sabotage" the other 4 teams too also caught cheating?
No, those other teams were sabotaged by Acura and Infiniti
Old 02-15-07, 06:23 AM
LexFather

Well in reading, it seems NASCAR decided to rule with an iron fist over the last couple weeks and ALL the teams are pretty pissed about it.

I wasn't saying sabotage from another team. I meant internally.

A mole. Similar to moderators who would rather insult our members, post only in what car they own posts, be sarcastic with anti-Lexus remarks and add nothing positive to the Lexus experience.

Old 02-15-07, 06:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Not going to put up with those types of comments on CL any longer.

Thread closed