Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M.Waltrip's NASCAR Toyota In Trouble???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 01:29 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M.Waltrip's NASCAR Toyota In Trouble???

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/35382/

This won't make the suits happy, and it does not look too promising for Mikey either.

EDIT: Mods please edit title to state "M. Waltrip"
Old 02-14-07, 02:43 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Dangit... and I was hoping that it was just a big misunderstanding. Looks like with some of their discoveries that it might not be... crud... not a good start.

Last edited by Stage3; 02-14-07 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 03:26 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Waltrip's NASCAR Toyota In Trouble???

AP sports is reporting that Waltrip's/Toyota Camry faces additional penalties more severe than 4 other team's suspended crew chiefs over cheating of all things.

Unreal, this was part of a very important debut, how can something like this happen?

What penalties are more severe than a crew chief suspension?
Old 02-14-07, 03:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
AP sports is reporting that Waltrip's/Toyota Camry faces additional penalties more severe than 4 other team's suspended crew chiefs over cheating of all things.

Unreal, this was part of a very important debut, how can something like this happen?

It depends on what the offense is, but a few race suspensions are more severe than a crew chief suspension since it costs you points.
Old 02-14-07, 03:37 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It depends on what the offense is, but a few race suspensions are more severe than a crew chief suspension since it costs you points.

The other 4 have already been docked points for what they were found to have as well as crew chief suspended and this says more severe than that, for a part they found and substance found in the manifold.
Old 02-14-07, 03:49 PM
LexFather

I smell sabotage...I just cannot see Toyota wanting any bad press for their debut in Nascar

Old 02-14-07, 04:02 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The other 4 have already been docked points for what they were found to have as well as crew chief suspended and this says more severe than that, for a part they found and substance found in the manifold.
The points were taken away for the races in which they were earned. However, if you have race suspensions, you are loosing more potential points since you can't even participate and earn them.
Old 02-14-07, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

same way Roush team was the first one punished, after being big mouthed of Toyota getting into his turf.

So far they took away points from two other teams, but of course, thats not in the news... you would think it never happened... lol.
Old 02-14-07, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I smell sabotage...I just cannot see Toyota wanting any bad press for their debut in Nascar
it is still not Toyota owned team, is it? Its not like F1 where Toyota actually runs the show...
Old 02-14-07, 04:30 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is still not Toyota owned team, is it? Its not like F1 where Toyota actually runs the show...
Nope... Toyota is not going the same route that the did with the Truck series... All they are supplying is the body and the engines. The ownership of the cars fall to the individual teams.
Old 02-14-07, 04:54 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

Default **updates**

M. Waltrip racing--

#55 M. Waltrip's Crew Chief and Team Manager Suspended Indefinitely

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/35387/

Additionally the team was docked 100 points along with a 100 driver points.
Old 02-14-07, 05:01 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Whoever did this, or was involved, it is just plain stupid to apply oxygenate like that regardless, let alone when you know for certain the car is going to be inspected!!!!
Old 02-14-07, 05:08 PM
GS4DOUGIE
Lead Lap

More details and a $100,000 fine for the crew chief. TRD senior VP and GM expressed concern over the future of the relationship with Buffy and Mikey.

LINKAGE--> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6474096
Old 02-14-07, 05:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I know how much we all love jumping to conclusions but everyone should just wait and see what happens. NASCAR has impounded the car and hauled it off to their facility for a few quick tests. The worst part is that when they let them get the backup car and try to run it, shebang, the same deposit happened meaning "the substance" was probably in the fuel system and not just the manifold runners. And it was in the backup as well as the primary car.

I applaud those of you who are already seeing sabotage in this in a racing series, like most, that has a long and rich history of cheating. BMW has to be behind this somewhere. Let NASCAR rip the car apart and see what they find. I truly doubt that someone put a sterno can in the fuel system to boost the fuel. Of all the things that NASCAR cheaters have "tinkered" around with, gasoline isn't usually one of them. Definitely not the case in F1 where the top teams at one time had highly engineered fuels designed by their sponsor. Didn't even look like gasoline but more like a gel. Then again, where would Mikey and Buffy get access to F1 fuel technology? I also suspect that unless NASCAR has given Mikey a clean bill of health, and get really torqued off, they could just say no DAYTONA for Mikey. It's all just speculation but evidently it was obvious that Mikey had found something out for qualification as he picked up a couple of seconds. Hard to understand this really as the little I have read indicate that the Toyota motor is not down on power. Strange.
Old 02-14-07, 06:42 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ditto.....

Quick Reply: M.Waltrip's NASCAR Toyota In Trouble???