Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 02:16 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, what, you can't even close it?
I can close them They have a heavy, but pleasing and assuring feel to it.
Old 02-16-07, 02:36 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Driving a Lexus gives me a great sense of security in terms of its reliability and quality.

My SC400 is well past the 200k miles mark and it still runs as if it were new. Not too many cars out there can make such claim.

However, driving a larger Mercedes (such as the CL500, S500, etc.) is simply a completely different experience. Compare to the SC400, my CL500 feels like a Panzer tank with far more gadgets.

Granted, a better comparison to the CL500 could've been made with the newer SC430. But even with a late model Lexus, which probably has the same (or better) amenities than many other luxury cars out there, the feel just doesn't quite add up to what one would experience in a heavy and solid German counterpart.

Jon
Old 02-16-07, 03:26 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Almost all German doors, for the exception of older VWs have a very heavy, but tactically pleasing door feel. The Japanese want their doors to close quietly, while the Americans, well we won't go there
no, the japanese have this really light plastic cheap feeling...the new Zero Crown Athlete is getting better but still feels cheap.
the 300C closed pretty well actually. but GMs feels like the interior is going to rip off.
now Audis...mmm...i love how they feel.

my family usually only buys japanese cars. why? b/c Mercedes = Yakuza in the minds of my parents generation. not to mention my parents dont even want to drive in tokyo.
Old 02-16-07, 06:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Just wanted to share something which I am confused why they think this.

First off, I sell Lexus for a living in New Car sales and I was talking to a potential client of mine. They own Mercedes for the last 10 years and their lease is almost up(03 S500). They came in exploring the LS460L. At that time I had a special packaged LS460L Black/Black with Air Suspension. Came with Mark Levinson Stereo/Nav/Rear Seat Upgrade(not executive) and AIr Suspension which is IMPOSSIBLE to find in the Northeast region.

We test drove the car, they loved the power, handling and all the immenities that came along with it. They said it had everything what a Mercedes have. I was thinking it should have been the other way around. Anyway, the deal breaker was the ML STEREO. They said it sounded "tinny, and empty". In my head I was like "WTF?". They said they sat in a S550 and it sounded fantastic. I told them to come back with a CD of theirs instead of playing from the radio. They came back and we put a CD in and I adjusted the tremble, bass, etc.. .. I told them to listen carefully of all the DETAILS that the ML produces which no other factory car stereo can do. They looked impressed, BUT my feeling was that they CAN'T accept the fact that a japanese car might JUST might be better than a car brand that they owned for 10 years. After couple days they decided on the S550 because they felt it was better quality.

Don't get me wrong, WHAT DO THEY FIND BETTER? I never listened to the stereo in a S550 but come on, if it is better, HOW MUCH better can it possibly be?! But hey, its their money, and I tried... but it makes me wonder..

Hey some people are very loyal to Mercedes and has it ENGRAINED in their heads that a Japanese maker cannot be in the same level as Germans. I am not bashing Mercedes NOR their opinions, but lets face it, we are right up there EASILY.
why are you suprised? First of all, LS430 already outsold S class for quite an while... 2nd of all, there are many people who only buy MB.

I have had one person look at European Avensis, they said it is considerably better quality that their 2-3 yr old C class but also said that no matter what, they will always buy MB... because his father first car was MB and his own was as well.

MB especially has a lot of tradition, and not everyone has to drive an Lexus!
Old 02-16-07, 06:46 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just too many choices out there. However.. if you were to put those cars side by side.. which would you drive off in?

They look kinda similar if you ask me.
Old 02-16-07, 07:29 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the end people like what they like.

For me the wheel arches on the new S class look and
I would reject it outright for just that 1 reason.
Old 02-16-07, 09:59 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

when people spend $100K for a CAR.....IMO, the deciding factor is not primarily the audio system.... The deciding factor is based on the CAR as a whole...
Old 02-16-07, 10:12 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doug_999
Interesting that in another thread the most popular car traded in for the S550 is a previous gen S-Class.

This tells me that people end up becoming accustomed to the "feel" of a given car. I know this happened to me when I went from BMW to Lexus. The "feel" of the Lexus, almost like the steering is not on totally tight, made the car feel like the quality was not there. Hard to explain. Rumor has it the opposite occurs when a long time Lexus owner migrates to BMW and hates the fact that the steering seems to pick everything up and the controls seem so "touchy" - those are my wife's words btw.

With regards to the stereo, while I've heard neither, I do know that the Logic 7 system in my BMW is as good if not better than my old ML in my GS430. The GS430 had better imaging, but that was it - at least to my ears. Might be a good idea for you to swing down to the local MB store and hear their stereo to see if it really does compare or not.

I can go along with this idea and not even so much on a brand level but a car level. I have had several second gen gs's that I put a TON of miles on. It seems everytime I am ready for something new, I want another second gen gs because I cannot find anything in the price range I like better.

But what I think it is, is after driving those cars for years I am just use it. Every morning wake up, open the door and drive feeling like "home".

Sometimes its just hard to change. I am TRYING to make myself find something else, I need a new winter beater after my house build is done so I am looking at an SUV, may get rid of the GS and get that and then MAYBE I will seek out something else other then a second gen gs! I still catch myself looking at CPOs!

For the guy driving the S class for 10 years, could be hard to leave...
Old 02-16-07, 10:53 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Have you guys seen the new MB commercials where people just talk about owning the S Class. It's spot on. MB still has a lot more history and a stronger, upscale brand image than Lexus.

Head to head, if all things being equal, MB still beats out Lexus if money is no object.
Old 02-16-07, 11:32 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The MB still appeals to people's "snob appeal."

I remember a letter from a reader I recently saw in Motor Trend.

Basically the guy said: "your writer missed the entire point of the Lexus LS460. The Mercedes and BMW portray a bold, brash, arrogant personality... something I don't portray in my personal life, nor do I desire in an automobile."
Old 02-16-07, 12:08 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bruce van
Have you guys seen the new MB commercials where people just talk about owning the S Class. It's spot on. MB still has a lot more history and a stronger, upscale brand image than Lexus.

Head to head, if all things being equal, MB still beats out Lexus if money is no object.
right, funny how engineers like Mullaly and Bill Gates drive Lexus.
Old 02-16-07, 01:07 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bruce van

Hi Bruce, when you say MB still beats out Lexus, what exactly does MB beat Lexus with? Better motor? Better Build? Better Quality? Or do you mean in terms of longevity? Just wondering because IMO MB doesn't beat out lexus in any category accept being out longer.
Old 02-16-07, 01:21 PM
Mazinger
Rookie

Usually you upgrade to a MB and downgrade to a Lexus imo.
Old 02-16-07, 02:13 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Hi Bruce, when you say MB still beats out Lexus, what exactly does MB beat Lexus with? Better motor? Better Build? Better Quality? Or do you mean in terms of longevity? Just wondering because IMO MB doesn't beat out lexus in any category accept being out longer.
The one area where MB trumps Lexus and just about everybody
else is tradition. The S class engine/powertrain combo is also
highly regarded by many.

Some have pointed that the LS looks a bit like a Camry and an ES
and to an extent I agree... It is an unfortunate styling convergence
for Lexus/Toyota. Other than that the LS is awesome and has
fantastic mod potential with some expensive wheels
Old 02-16-07, 02:15 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
right, funny how engineers like Mullaly and Bill Gates drive Lexus.
Bill Gates also wears regular pair of jeans and shops at Walmart.. what is your point?

Quick Reply: Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)