Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 02:32 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Hi Bruce, when you say MB still beats out Lexus, what exactly does MB beat Lexus with? Better motor? Better Build? Better Quality? Or do you mean in terms of longevity? Just wondering because IMO MB doesn't beat out lexus in any category accept being out longer.
Please take a look at engine options from MB before you make that statement.
Old 02-16-07, 02:45 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ah you tried

yeah as said before, u cant expect to convert all the MB ppl to lexus

brand perception is very important for all manufacturers
Old 02-16-07, 03:09 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bruce, when you say MB still beats out Lexus, what exactly does MB beat Lexus with? Better motor? Better Build? Better Quality? Or do you mean in terms of longevity? Just wondering because IMO MB doesn't beat out lexus in any category accept being out longer.
If all things being equal, power, quality, etc.....most people including myself would rather have a Mercedes Benz in my garage than a Lexus.

The Mercedes Benz brand is much, much stronger than Lexus. I think most people will agree with me there.
Old 02-16-07, 05:26 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
Please take a look at engine options from MB before you make that statement.
Okay, and ? It has an option of more power, doesn't necessarily make it *BETTER*. Faster yes, but not necessarily mechanically better.

Last edited by D-MAN63; 02-16-07 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 05:28 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce van
If all things being equal, power, quality, etc.....most people including myself would rather have a Mercedes Benz in my garage than a Lexus.

The Mercedes Benz brand is much, much stronger than Lexus. I think most people will agree with me there.
I agree completely. At that price point, the extra cost to go from an LS460 to an S550 should not be a big deal. If it is, you're probably out of your range.

I personally just have a love for German cars that the 3 Lexus we currently have can't cure. If I was buying it, I would choose the S over the LS any day of the week. Having owned German cars out of warranty, its not something I want to gamble with, but if its under warranty then whatever. I'd rather have a car I loved and maybe have it have a chance of being less reliable than one that I don't love.

To me the LS is just too bland. It looks just like a supersized version of all the other Lexus cars. And maybe more importantly to me, it doesn't have the presence that a S or A8 has. Really, at this price point it is all personal preference because be honest, nobody NEEDS a 90k car. Even though so many people do it, its rather irrational and the same needs could be fulfilled by a car that costs half as much.
Old 02-16-07, 05:37 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

This is a good discussion but I am still confused on something, some comments were made that they rather drive an MB if all is equal because whether its a "stronger" brand, or Lexus is not in the same level as MB. Okay, its your opinions which you have every right to express.. Some people say the LS looks like a camry and they would choose the S550, absolutely understandable reason.

What I am saying is when people say MB is "better" than Lexus, WHAT makes them BETTER? More engine options? MB been out for ages and over time they have created more engine OPTIONS, which lexus came out in 1989/90. So I am assuming the majority of the people think why mb is better is because of TRADITION? Longevity? A person said the S class has a good engine/powertrain combo WHICH IT DOES, but when you compare it to the LS460, the LS still comes out on top, not by a huge margin but still on top.

With me, I really don't care about tradition, brand recognition, logevity etc.. I look at two cars of the SAME class, and I compare to see which one is BETTER. Looks is subjective, I know that.
Old 02-16-07, 06:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, LS460 does look like a large Camry and ES350. This whole L-finesse family look plain out sucks, I don't like a single new model.

But then S550 looks ghetto bling bling

And the banglefied 7 series is... lets not even go there.

If I was to spend that kind of money, I'd drive off in one of these!

But then I would never buy a german car because of their **** involvment. So I guess eventually I'm gonna have to settle for the ugly LS unless Acura or Infiniti steps up to the place with RL/Q45.
Old 02-16-07, 06:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh yeah, one more little detail - A8 and LS460 have that, and 7 series and S550 don't - and that little detail alone is enough for me to not even remotely consider the 7 or S550.

Old 02-16-07, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
This tells me that people end up becoming accustomed to the "feel" of a given car. I know this happened to me when I went from BMW to Lexus. The "feel" of the Lexus, almost like the steering is not on totally tight, made the car feel like the quality was not there. Hard to explain. Rumor has it the opposite occurs when a long time Lexus owner migrates to BMW and hates the fact that the steering seems to pick everything up and the controls seem so "touchy" - those are my wife's words btw.
Agreed - there's things many people are comfortable with and don't like to change or find the changes distracting. Let's face it, the LS460 and S class have two very different personalities. I've been out of town for the past couple of days and an LS460 passed me and then stopped at a light a few yards ahead of me. I swear that while I like the car, I couldn't help thinking "big Camry". I know some will say cheap shot but from the back the way the rear lights are and other aspects reminded me of the back of a new Camry.

Like it or not, there's NOTHING on the road like the new S-Class. And I think the newest commercial for it is OUTSTANDING. Showing heritage, people saying their fond memories of ones past and of their love, passion and respect for the latest ones... it's just excellent, and the S-Class looks excellent, especially in black - wow. Anyone else notice how the side profile shows how short the front overhang is? Niceee.

With regards to the stereo, while I've heard neither, I do know that the Logic 7 system in my BMW is as good if not better than my old ML in my GS430.
Lexus plugs the ML brand in different models but there's worlds and light years difference between the IS, GS, and LS 'ML' systems.
Old 02-16-07, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
why are you suprised? First of all, LS430 already outsold S class for quite an while...
LS is 2/3rds the price of an S class. No surprise it outsells it.

2nd of all, there are many people who only buy MB.
True. A brand that's been around over 100 yrs does count for something.

I have had one person look at European Avensis, they said it is considerably better quality that their 2-3 yr old C class but also said that no matter what, they will always buy MB... because his father first car was MB and his own was as well.
Avensis has the personality of a cereal box. It works, it's boring, although reliable and quite smooth. A C class, even a cheap one, is fun to drive. It's RWD. It's still a Mercedes.

MB especially has a lot of tradition, and not everyone has to drive an Lexus!
Nor wants to.

Right now on the Lexus line-up in the U.S. I like the new LS but not their ridiculously constrained option configurations. The SUVs all seem a bit old to me at this point. The GS is boring (I'd take the M45 over it), and the IS is too cramped in the back (I'd take the G35 sedan over it). While the new ES is better than the old one, it does nothing for me. It's like a Kenmoore dishwasher. Quiet, smooth, does it's job, utterly boring.
Old 02-16-07, 06:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by genearch
We've been shopping several cars in this class. As a Lexus owner of 15 years and a past LS owner, it's hard to not include Lexus in the mix. We drove a LS460 a few weeks back, then immediately went over and drove the S550. naturally, we were impressed with the LS but the there was something about the S550 that made it rise to the top.

On the ride home, I was told "I like the Lexus and I know you do, but if we are going to spend that kind of money I think we should get the S550" When I asked why... I was told that she felt the LS looked like a large Camry.
Oh man, your better half's a genius.

I expect Lexus to refresh the LS to differentiate it further. I've noticed a detail on the LS I don't like and that's the 'curved S' gap between front/rear fenders (I think it's both) and front/rear fascia/bumpers. MB tends to do that better, usually with a nice embedded chrome piece. Wish I had pics handy, but maybe you know what I mean. The LS 'S curve' approach says "mass production" a bit too much for me. Having said that the LS does have a lot of other nice touches.
Old 02-16-07, 07:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
To me the LS is just too bland. It looks just like a supersized version of all the other Lexus cars. And maybe more importantly to me, it doesn't have the presence that a S or A8 has.
Agreed. I saw several A8's the past couple of days and I almost dislocate my neck to keep looking at them... simply stunning. Lexus still insists on putting tiny wheels and having what looks like a 6" front wheel gap on its flagship model. It just doesn't cut it. Having said that, the new LS is by far the best Lexus ever. I don't think I've ever seen a car with narrower panel gaps.

Lexus does quality, reliability, and luxury. It doesn't yet do much in the way of 'character' and passion.

I still say Lexus is everything a Buick or Cadillac should be.
Old 02-16-07, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

What I am saying is when people say MB is "better" than Lexus, WHAT makes them BETTER? More engine options? MB been out for ages and over time they have created more engine OPTIONS, which lexus came out in 1989/90. So I am assuming the majority of the people think why mb is better is because of TRADITION? Longevity? A person said the S class has a good engine/powertrain combo WHICH IT DOES, but when you compare it to the LS460, the LS still comes out on top, not by a huge margin but still on top.
Maybe it's because MB is using bigger numbers. 550 vs 460. Psychology comes into play here.

But on a more serious note, I think one HUGE problem Lexus has is inflexibility in offerings. You can get a 7 series or S class with a zillion different combinations of options. Sure you may have to order it, but you can get it. With Lexus, even ordering one gives you very little flexibility and dealers often turn their nose up at you if you don't want one of the 6 all the same except color on the lot.

Also, with BMW at least, you can take delivery in Europe. Maybe a gimmick (although it does save money), but a nice treat for some that do it, or know that it's available.

With me, I really don't care about tradition, brand recognition, logevity etc.. I look at two cars of the SAME class, and I compare to see which one is BETTER. Looks is subjective, I know that.
That makes you an 'objective' or 'sensible' car buyer, which is Lexus's target. Mercedes isn't looking for sensible buyers. They go after people who want what they want, for whatever stupid reason. You probably wouldn't buy a 700HP SL600 either. It's stupid. It makes no sense. But MB offers it, and some buyers really appreciate a brand that does it, even if that isn't the one they buy. Maybe they want the IRRATIONAL buyer whereas Lexus seeks the RATIONAL buyer.

Hard then, to convince someone who is irrational, to switch.
Old 02-16-07, 07:13 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newr
Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
right, funny how engineers like Mullaly and Bill Gates drive Lexus
Bill Gates also wears regular pair of jeans and shops at Walmart.. what is your point?
Successful CEOs driving Lexus cars, that's the point. Sure they can shop at Walmart but when it comes to luxury cars, they want the best. Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO and now Ford CEO Alan Mulally said he purchased the LS 430 because it is "the finest car in the world."
Old 02-16-07, 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
But then I would never buy a german car because of their **** involvment.
Wow, can't let go, huh? You do know the ***** are just about all dead? I don't know if you're white but should all blacks hate you because of that KKK and slavery thing? Anyway, O/T, sorry.

Quick Reply: Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)