Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
right, funny how engineers like Mullaly and Bill Gates drive Lexus.
Bill Gates also came up with Windows, what's your point?

Gates drives a Lexus because he's not a flashy guy, he's sensible, and he likes quality stuff. Fits the target.
Old 02-16-07, 07:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I expect Lexus to refresh the LS to differentiate it further. .
It's the Camry they should refresh. They should never have let the Camry look anything remotely close to the ES & the LS in the first place. . . like giving it totally different shaped headlights & taillights would make a huge difference. Giving it that ugly proboscis over the grille is not nearly enough . . .
Old 02-16-07, 08:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going back to the original topic; Did you recommend the 19 speaker option??

No way in hell the S-class is touching that sound. If sound is that important to them, then that option would seem to be a no brainer.
Old 02-16-07, 10:09 PM
vader11
Rookie

Most Europeans & Asians are still thinking that European cars are always better than Japanese cars, especially in Germany/UK/China/Hong Kong. When they decide to buy a luxury/expensive car, 90% of them would choose a European car. No matter how good a Japanese car is(even if it is way better than LS460L), they would not buy it because it is a "Japanese" car. If you put a MB/BMW symbol on the LS460L, I think people all over the world will no longer buy the S550/750iL...
Old 02-16-07, 10:17 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Just too many choices out there. However.. if you were to put those cars side by side.. which would you drive off in?

They look kinda similar if you ask me.
The LS. The S550 looks like a Ford Focus, I can rip off the Benz badging and slap on the Ford blue oval and park it in Hickville and people can't even tell the difference!
Old 02-16-07, 10:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
Could you post a link that shows the ls is on top?
There are a few that have the LS on top if you look at the sticky review thread in the LS460 forum.

However, no link to any articles will prove or even show that any car, whether it's the LS, the S or the A8 etc. is on top, they are all just opinions, not facts. Different reviewers can have different opinions, sometimes even reviewers from the same magazine.
Old 02-17-07, 12:54 AM
vader11
Rookie

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
This is a good discussion but I am still confused on something, some comments were made that they rather drive an MB if all is equal because whether its a "stronger" brand, or Lexus is not in the same level as MB. Okay, its your opinions which you have every right to express.. Some people say the LS looks like a camry and they would choose the S550, absolutely understandable reason.

What I am saying is when people say MB is "better" than Lexus, WHAT makes them BETTER? More engine options? MB been out for ages and over time they have created more engine OPTIONS, which lexus came out in 1989/90. So I am assuming the majority of the people think why mb is better is because of TRADITION? Longevity? A person said the S class has a good engine/powertrain combo WHICH IT DOES, but when you compare it to the LS460, the LS still comes out on top, not by a huge margin but still on top.

With me, I really don't care about tradition, brand recognition, logevity etc.. I look at two cars of the SAME class, and I compare to see which one is BETTER. Looks is subjective, I know that.
That's exactly what is happening nowadays! Most Europeans & Asians are still thinking that European cars are always better than Japanese cars, especially in Germany/UK/China/Hong Kong. When they decide to buy a luxury/expensive car, 90% of them would choose a European car. No matter how good a Japanese car is(even if it is way better than LS460L), they would not buy it because it is a "Japanese" car. They choose cars by tradition, brand recognition, and logevity! If you put a MB/BMW symbol on the LS460L, I think people all over the world will no longer buy the S550/750iL...
Old 02-17-07, 01:00 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

The W221 feels more solid of a car.

Personally I think the LS600lh would be literally a no brainer if it had 500hp.
(And a few small things, but that's Lexus specific, not against any other car brand, like adding in 802.11g so you could network your car and transfer music that way, or having more flexibility [as stated before] with packages and ordering options).
Old 02-17-07, 10:38 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About how the LS looks like the Camry, I was on the highway a couple months ago and I was coming up on a car that I could have sworn was a Camry...but when I passes it I saw the Lexus logo and the exhaust pipes. Memo to Lexus...its not good when people confuse your flagship with a 20k car.
Old 02-17-07, 11:02 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should've done a reverse cushion on him, "and that is exactly why you should buy it." Or make him think twice, "I certainly appreciate your passion for quality acoustic environment, now the choice is up to you." Just like the previous post read, at the end, they gonna like what they like. They probably weren't serious anyway. Move on and happy selling
Old 02-17-07, 11:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LS460 looks classy, helluva lot classier than S550, but unfortunately at the same time it looks like a Camry.
Old 02-17-07, 06:40 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I don't agree that the LS looks like a Camry. The Camry may have some
"L-Finesse" rubbed off onto it but in no way are the two confusing. I finally saw a parked LS the other day and was able to gaze upon it for a few moments until the owner came along and broke the bond. It's a magnificant machine. I see 100 new Camry's a day and to hear people relate the two confuses me.

I saw a parked S550 in black (it's good color) the other day and it could be described as just decent. No where near the styling perfection that is the LS.
The S550 is awkward in the rear and those arches don't help things.

I'd rather have great styling and compared by some to another car than to have just mediocre styling.
Old 02-17-07, 06:54 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I really don't care that the LS looks like a Camry, the Camry looks soooo nice (especially with the sport package).
Old 02-17-07, 07:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting that people say the S-Class feels more solid. Everyone knows the LS is built to a higher quality standard and will last longer so obviously "feel" doesn't translate to actual quality and longevity. I'm not saying MB's won't go the long haul, just that it isn't as long (and trouble free) as Lexus.
Old 02-17-07, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
It's the Camry they should refresh. They should never have let the Camry look anything remotely close to the ES & the LS in the first place. . . like giving it totally different shaped headlights & taillights would make a huge difference. Giving it that ugly proboscis over the grille is not nearly enough . . .
Here's what it would look like without the ugly proboscis.

Before nose job:

After nose job:

Compare LS460
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)-2007_lexus_is460-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)