Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 07:39 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I could buy a beater Nissan that would last a few decades, but it feels like crap. You have to PAY to get a feel of quality, that's what Mercedes has (in some aspects).

Every car company has their faults and that's what makes them unique.

I actually had someone tell me that my LS430 was a worse car because of my soft touch doors. You literally let the door close itself and this ******* thought that my car was weak because it didn't THUMP close like my X5.

One man sees trash, the other sees class.
Old 02-17-07, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,436 Likes on 1,597 Posts

It's interesting when looking at pics side by side - they don't look that alike at all really. So why when I see an LS or a Camry on the road do I momentarily think it's the other one sometimes?

Old 02-17-07, 07:43 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Because they are brand new cars.
I confuse the Camry, ES, and LS ALL THE TIME.
It's because they are brand new cars. I still confuse the 5er and the 3er often.
Old 02-17-07, 07:44 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's interesting when looking at pics side by side - they don't look that alike at all really. So why when I see an LS or a Camry on the road do I momentarily think it's the other one sometimes?

Exactly. There is NO similarity. I think people are blind if they think they're alike.
Old 02-17-07, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,436 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Exactly. There is NO similarity. I think people are blind if they think they're alike.
Well one thing that's similar is the giant plain plastic rear bumper. This might be ok on the Camry but it looks CHEAP on the LS. Both also have the 'S' curve seam with the side panels (you can see in the pics).

Why doesn't Lexus add some detail into the rear bumper like this E class?

Old 02-17-07, 10:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well that's the outgoing E-Class, which has some of the detailing which I think the new, more futuristic looking LS would opt out of in favor of a sleek, clean look. The more traditional looking LS 430 had the chrome strip, and a more separate look to the bumper.

The new LS series and S class have a more integrated look to the bumper, the LS looking more futuristic though IMO, with the integrated exhausts a fantastic detail. But notice Mercedes now opts out of the rear bumper chrome strip as well, and while keeping a furrow across the rear, vs. the LS' prominent exhaust tips are well-placed.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)-9706d19abc01d5f1e0c387407af16df3_1.jpg  

Last edited by encore888; 02-17-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 10:24 PM
LexFather

Well one thing that's similar is the giant plain plastic rear bumper. This might be ok on the Camry but it looks CHEAP on the LS. Both also have the 'S' curve seam with the side panels (you can see in the pics).

Why doesn't Lexus add some detail into the rear bumper like this E class?

Thats an E55 bumper And the E-class tails are almost identical in shape to the previous Camry tails.

Old 02-17-07, 10:35 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Just wanted to share something which I am confused why they think this.

First off, I sell Lexus for a living in New Car sales and I was talking to a potential client of mine. They own Mercedes for the last 10 years and their lease is almost up(03 S500). They came in exploring the LS460L. At that time I had a special packaged LS460L Black/Black with Air Suspension. Came with Mark Levinson Stereo/Nav/Rear Seat Upgrade(not executive) and AIr Suspension which is IMPOSSIBLE to find in the Northeast region.

We test drove the car, they loved the power, handling and all the immenities that came along with it. They said it had everything what a Mercedes have. I was thinking it should have been the other way around. Anyway, the deal breaker was the ML STEREO. They said it sounded "tinny, and empty". In my head I was like "WTF?". They said they sat in a S550 and it sounded fantastic. I told them to come back with a CD of theirs instead of playing from the radio. They came back and we put a CD in and I adjusted the tremble, bass, etc.. .. I told them to listen carefully of all the DETAILS that the ML produces which no other factory car stereo can do. They looked impressed, BUT my feeling was that they CAN'T accept the fact that a japanese car might JUST might be better than a car brand that they owned for 10 years. After couple days they decided on the S550 because they felt it was better quality.

Don't get me wrong, WHAT DO THEY FIND BETTER? I never listened to the stereo in a S550 but come on, if it is better, HOW MUCH better can it possibly be?! But hey, its their money, and I tried... but it makes me wonder..

Hey some people are very loyal to Mercedes and has it ENGRAINED in their heads that a Japanese maker cannot be in the same level as Germans. I am not bashing Mercedes NOR their opinions, but lets face it, we are right up there EASILY.
Hey there. . . I can appreciate a salesman, and I want to share a few tips with you if I may.

To qualify myself a bit, I won't get into the specifics, but I am with an IT company. I am currently one of the highest performing representatives in my district for the highest grossing district in the nation. . . and it's a global company.

Let me explain what happened to you from a sales standpoint (and I'm not ciriticizing you, just offering my experience). In sales, we ALWAYS encounter questions, objections, rejections. Once a customer starts to consider a purchase, they almost always will have a number of objections (features, performance, quality, price, etc).

When a customer does not want a product and has objections, our job is just that much more difficult. Our job isn't necessarily to eliminate their objections. Just think about it. If I was able to convince you on all the reasons NOT to do something, it doesn't exactly make you WANT to do it either.

What your customer failed to see was the value in purchasing a Lexus (whatever "hot" buttons they have). They have to really want it, and if that becomes the case, objections are only something that slow down a deal and not something that stops the deal.

Now, you may be the best salesman in the world and none of this may apply to you, so I have no idea. I don't know you, and I can't judge you. I'm only speculating on what happened, so I could be 100% wrong. But, given my assumptions, and knowing they are big fans of Mercedes you've GOT to find out WHY they love Mercedes. And then, you show them how Lexus does it better. Also, you have to find their pains and show them how Lexus can MAKE it better.

From what it sounds like, they had some other problem about Lexus (image, no experience with the brand, or something else), and they were using the stereo as an excuse not to buy the car.
Old 02-17-07, 11:20 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bitkahuna, I agree with you 100% on all of your posts in this thread.

As much as I like Lexus, I do agree that the LS does look like a big Camry....er....should I say the Camry looks like a small LS......Lexus
really should have made the redesigned LS stand out a bit more. The
LS is a good looking car, but it's not a great looking car.

I work in retail and I there is perceived value. If something is more expensive, people will usually think it is better quality. In most situations,
people with lots of money will always go with the more expensive option
when making a purchase.
Old 02-17-07, 11:29 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

One thing I've learned is that you pay to have quality, but just because you pay, doesn't mean you'll get quality

BTW - I think Lexus cars literally sell themselves. If you don't understand why Lexus' are the more rational choice (okay, let me add a disclaimer, for most people) then you shouldn't buy one.

I like to be snotty.
Old 02-17-07, 11:42 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's because when we're comparing pictures side by side, we look for similarities and differences. It's a natural brain process . But on the road, you're only glacing at the car. You only remember the basic layout of the car. It's not until you pay attention to the details where you'll find yourself identifying it.

The camry and LS460 gets mixed up because it's similar by design. Toyota should have differentiate the two cars more. Kind of like how during 90s era, a Camry, GS300/400, and an LS400 could not be mistaken for one another. Now both camry and LS460 looks similar in many aspects, enough to confuse people.

For us car people, we can identify cars easier. For those out there who are not car people, they'll need to look at the badge for obvious reasons.
Old 02-18-07, 12:15 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

the LS looks so similar to the Camry and ES that even before it hits the show room, its styling is already dated. It is disappointed that being the top of the line model for Lexus that people often mistaken it for the ES or worse, the $20k Camry.
Old 02-18-07, 04:33 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Funny people don't complain when MB's C, E, & S class's all follow a similar design theme with different lengths. The same with BMW, especially up to the late 90's when all three of their classes followed the same design theme.
It's called having an identity. Now, you know right away that it's a Lexus because it looks like a Lexus. You wouldn't want to confuse it with a car from an entirely different company.
Old 02-18-07, 04:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Likewise, Acura gets bashed because people think the RL looks like a loaded Accord. But the RL doesn't look like an accord to the same degree that the LS460 looks like a Camry. Sometimes it's easy for us to criticize other brands, yet we are so defensive when it comes to our own.
Old 02-18-07, 07:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bitkahuna, oh my, you are so right about that bumper! Up until now I just couldn't realize what is it about all new Lexus models that makes them look like cheap soapboxes, and now I do! It's the cheap, Toyota like bumpers. For instance, all previous Lexus model, besides perhaps ES, had this silver strip separating the bumper from the body, instead of just an ugly cheap looking seam.

Quick Reply: Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)