Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 04:54 PM
LexFather

I think we all need to think about something.
1. Those saying BMWs/Benz's look different, guess what, they got that from Lexus. Lexus was the first luxury brand to be successful and NONE of their cars looks alike.
2. Lexus, lol, now has followed the Germans and designed their cars around "L-finesse" and they do look more alike now.
3. Let us not forget just a few years ago, BMW/Benz were one shape, 3 different sizes (Sedans). Audi still uses this.

Nothing wrong with either way to me.

In a global market, with for the first time in history a credible luxury player from Japan, I think the Germans took some cues, as Lexus took some cues from the Germans upon introduction.

Old 02-18-07, 04:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't like the S550 at all. My favorite Benz, in fact one of my all time favorites, is this design. I don't think there's a single car that has as much class, besides maybe the current A8L. I didn't think much of the last gen S class, just like I don't think much of the current LS, they are simply not here not there. But the current S class, to me, is freaking horrendous.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)-1428760_11.jpg  
Old 02-18-07, 05:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we're analyzing

The LS has similar lines and overall is LESS plain than the S-class particularly due to the excellent exhaust setup on the LS. The S-class exhaust are shamed even when compared to say a Hyundai Sonata which as a nice dual chrome setup.

Also, In my previous post, I was mostly talking about the side panels and how some have said the LS is to plain there as well. So I compared the same "plain" surface on the S-class. I should've clarified.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)-ls-rear-circles.jpg  
Old 02-18-07, 05:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think we all need to think about something.
1. Those saying BMWs/Benz's look different, guess what, they got that from Lexus. Lexus was the first luxury brand to be successful and NONE of their cars looks alike.
2. Lexus, lol, now has followed the Germans and designed their cars around "L-finesse" and they do look more alike now.
3. Let us not forget just a few years ago, BMW/Benz were one shape, 3 different sizes (Sedans). Audi still uses this.

Nothing wrong with either way to me.

In a global market, with for the first time in history a credible luxury player from Japan, I think the Germans took some cues, as Lexus took some cues from the Germans upon introduction.

I think Lexus old designs were much better when their cars looked different. I still confuse LS and ES, and I used to confuse IS and GS for quite a while. As far as germans, previous S class and C class looked plain out the same, and E class used to be such vanilla. And the bimmers were really one shape, 3 different sizes.

However, in the case with germans, I think they did it on purpose, because they know that your average person won't be able to tell between C and S class, and 3 and 7 series, so these who couldn't buy the real thing could still brag about driving a bimmer or a benz, and your average person wouldn't know its just a silly 318 or C230.
Old 02-18-07, 05:07 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Since we're analyzing

The LS has similar lines and overall is LESS plain than the S-class particularly due to the excellent exhaust setup on the LS. The S-class exhaust are shamed even when compared to say a Hyundai Sonata which as a nice dual chrome setup.

Also, In my previous post, I was mostly talking about the side panels and how some have said the LS is to plain there as well. So I compared the same "plain" surface on the S-class. I should've clarified.
I just love how the exhaust is on the LS. It really makes the back of the car look mean.
Old 02-18-07, 05:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Och, based on all of your posts, I think it's safe to say that you don't like modern car design and prefer the boxier designs of about 10-15 years ago. Am I wrong?

Personally, I think the current Lexus lineup is quiet stunning and the best looking lineup out there.
Old 02-18-07, 05:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Och, based on all of your posts, I think it's safe to say that you don't like modern car design and prefer the boxier designs of about 10-15 years ago. Am I wrong?

Personally, I think the current Lexus lineup is quiet stunning and the best looking lineup out there.
Some boxy designs. For instance I think a Luxury car should be bulky and boxy, this way its more "in your face". Sports car, no, they should be slick - my faves are S2000 and Elise.

But what I do truly hate, is todays weird design patterns, with all kind of weird shapes and angles. I prefer clean designs.
Old 02-18-07, 06:50 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

+1

This new Lexus line up is very nice.

Those other cars OCH in my mind are not stunning at all. Perhaps I like the subtle curves alot better than driving a box.

If I wanted a box I'd probably be an Xb.. amazingly enough thats an Toyota too!
Old 02-18-07, 07:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, those new LS integrated exhausts are excellent...very classy yet futuristic looking.
Old 02-18-07, 07:14 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
you can't expect everyone to defect to Lexus. in this price range cars aren't necessarily bought for rational reasons.
+1 The reality is an $85k Mercedes or BMW is an $85k Mercedes or BMW. An $85k Lexus is a Toyota. That is the reality.

The LS is a wonderful car, but some folks will never pay that much for a car that was called a Toyota elsewhere not too long ago. It will take years to change mindsets.
Old 02-18-07, 07:18 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I'd take the new LS over any previous LS. I would take the last
generation S over the current wheel arch horror show. In either
case, I can't afford either car so MB and Lexus don't give a rat's
@$$ about what I or most of yall think
Old 02-18-07, 07:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
+1 The reality is an $85k Mercedes or BMW is an $85k Mercedes or BMW. An $85k Lexus is a Toyota. That is the reality.

The LS is a wonderful car, but some folks will never pay that much for a car that was called a Toyota elsewhere not too long ago. It will take years to change mindsets.
Sigh....the LS was always designed as a LS, called the LS everywhere BUT Japan since 1989. It is not some Toyota re badged as a LS.

As for perception, yes, some people will always say they are just Toyotas. Well BMW almost got bought by Benz in the 1950s and almost went bankrupt.

Gotta know your history.

Old 02-18-07, 07:31 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sigh....the LS was always designed as a LS, called the LS everywhere BUT Japan since 1989. It is not some Toyota re badged as a LS.

As for perception, yes, some people will always say they are just Toyotas. Well BMW almost got bought by Benz in the 1950s and almost went bankrupt.

Gotta know your history.
The car has Toyota stamped all over it. Go to the parts counter and order parts or see who is getting them. All Toyota boxes. My point is that this is what the MB buyer sees. Toyota is still pretty much in your face at a Lexus dealer. Etched on windows, stamped on parts boxes, etc.

I think it would cause any buyer to pause when spending that much money.

Last edited by widlfiresd; 02-18-07 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 07:38 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know about you but my windows say Lexus. I believe they changed the windows in 2001 and they all do say Lexus. I do hear what your saying about the parts. Today what the LS is here is the LS in Japan.
Old 02-18-07, 08:14 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I'm tired of hearing the Lexus is Toyota debate as if it somehow downgrades Lexus. I'm GLAD Lexus is a Toyota made car. That means it's a GREAT car.

Lexus is a superior car in many ways to the German marques. What do I care if it is Japenese. The Japenese build a better quality, more reliable car. The Mercedes name or BMW name doesn't impress me. The CAR is what matters.

I never understood how so many people put everything into a name or a history or heritage. Who cares. Big deal, MB is about 110 years old. So wasn't Oldsmobile and look at them. I judge a car on what it is here and now. That's all that matters.

Quick Reply: Interesting Talk With A Client: LS460L or S550.(long)