Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 11:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FX, X3, and RDX are not SUVs, they are perverted oxymorons.
Old 02-17-07, 02:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
FX, X3, and RDX are not SUVs, they are perverted oxymorons.
Then neither is the Rav4, Murano, MDX, RX350, X5, CRV, Edge, Highlander, and every SUV based on a car chassis
Old 02-17-07, 02:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Then neither is the Rav4, Murano, MDX, RX350, X5, CRV, Edge, Highlander, and every SUV based on a car chassis
No, at least these, especially the MDX have a large cargo capacity, while X3 and FX couldn't carry as much crap as a compact sedan.
Old 02-17-07, 04:18 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do say the RDX has above average reliability when it has an all new turbocharged 6? Just because its a honda? Every other car brand seems to get no reliability rating when its a new platform because basically they dont really know.
Old 02-17-07, 04:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

the RDX has a turbocharged 4-cyl.

I too dont know how they came up with the conclusion that the rdx is above average since it barely came out.
Old 02-17-07, 05:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
love the V6 in the Rav4, but the rest is .. blah.. Except for the CX7, I would pick the rest over the Rav4 any day. Seriously, I don't give a rat a$$ about CR ranking but some people do really read and follow it like a bible.

I can't believe the FJ is not recommended.. CR usually weight more on functionalilty and practicallity than anything so maybe the big blind spot and the 2 door really killed it for CR.. Oh well
except that Rav4 is pretty sporty... now you get to decide when does it matter :P

It matters in your favorite brand, but it doesnt matter in Rav4 :-).
Old 02-17-07, 05:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Besides reliability, which CR values above all other, what other things did they value? And conversely, despite getting a higher score than the rest (except Rav4), how can the X3 be not recommended? Just because of the half a black mark? Which goes back again to them valuing reliability above all else.

CR, most of their readers and surveys, are about being 'sensible', not having fun. If you want to be mainstream and sensible, buy what CR says. Excuse me if I don't wanna party with you though, I've got some cracks to spackle over instead, lol
I would think that CR is big on reliability, so i really dont imagine them reccomending car that they dont consider reliable. That would pretty much go against everything that CR stands for.

Besides, not even the germans like the X3. It just lost to Rav4 in last month's Autobild.
Old 02-17-07, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They complained all rode stiff for one.
The category is 'sporty SUVs'. Why would they not be stiffly sprung!?

Of course to CR anything that doesn't ride like a Camry is stiff.

The X3 without I-drive had the best controls to them and the upgraded interior was better.
Comparing vehicles like the X3 with facelifted interior and the FX35 and the RDX to the SPARTAN cheap Rav4 makes no sense. I guess without reading the article and how they scored them, I can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Is there a universal definition of "having fun" ? It can mean drifting, doing donuts to playing with electronic gadgets or the stereo & everything else in between .
OK, I'm talking about DRIVING fun, not playing with the stereo. This category is SPORTY SUVs after all.
Old 02-18-07, 06:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
the RDX has a turbocharged 4-cyl.

I too dont know how they came up with the conclusion that the rdx is above average since it barely came out.
Because it's Honda and they automatically assume Honda and Toyota will be reliable no matter what questionable factors are in the design and yet to be proven.

My dad recalls back when he was much younger - I wanna say 30-35 years ago, consumer reports was absolutely IN LOVE with the VW Rabbit. I mean no matter what came out the Rabbit was the absolute best car in its class, and reliable beyond question.

I think we can all look back and kinda laugh at that assessment. CR isn't infallible - they have their biases just like everyone else, and so do their readers, whom they commonly limit their polling to.
Old 02-18-07, 07:36 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
No, at least these, especially the MDX have a large cargo capacity, while X3 and FX couldn't carry as much crap as a compact sedan.
I wouldn't say that until I'd tried stuffing one. I had a 2-door 1996 RAV4, and it was truly amazing how much stuff I could put in it with the back seats down.
Old 02-18-07, 07:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmaynard
I wouldn't say that until I'd tried stuffing one. I had a 2-door 1996 RAV4, and it was truly amazing how much stuff I could put in it with the back seats down.
Yeah, with the back seat down you can carry some cargo, but you lose the back seat.
Old 02-18-07, 07:55 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to read Consumer Report as just another guideline. They're way too conservative for me. I'll take the 73 point Infiniti FX, pay a little more for the V8, and have a little fun in my life.
Old 02-18-07, 08:15 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The X3's cargo area is by no means small. It is quite deep without the seats being folded down. More than enough cargo room for the Home Depot type like me The BMW X3 is the only vehice in the bunch that corners better than the competion and many cars including every Lexus ever made. When cornering in an suv, your natural instinct is to put your foot over the brake to go slowly around a corner/curve. In the BMW x3, it begs to be driven hard in the corners/curves.. No body roll at all, compliant suspension, and you can drive with confidence. The X-drive system is amazing.. It makes this vehicle stick like glue to the road. It feels/drives no different than a 3 series sedan/coupe, but does cost more than the 335.. I test drove the other vehicles except the Mazda C7, and none of them drove like the X3. The controls in the X3 are simple to use. Here is a pic of the controls in mine.

Old 02-18-07, 08:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I bet 3 series wagon has more cargo space, and handles better, and has better acceleration.
Old 02-18-07, 08:26 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Yeah, with the back seat down you can carry some cargo, but you lose the back seat.
That was true of the 2-door RAV4, but not the 4-door, and probably not the other compact SUVs.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....