Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 09:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

2004 and 2006 X3 is the same car, the newer one is slighly revised, so there's not a whole lot of difference. The bottom line is - X3 is the worst BMW ever built.
Old 02-18-07, 09:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Wow, those people with M3's and 3 series on the track must be idiots. I guess they don't read R&T and consequently have no idea their car is not a good as a truck on the track.

But yeah, you can believe a truck will outhandle a car just because some number you read in a magazine says so.
This is the phrase I was looking for...You said it all Get behind the wheel folks before you pass judgement. One more article on the M5 this time.. .87g's again? why?

http://www.fast-autos.net/vehicles/BMW/2006/M5/

Anyway, if i was in the market for a faster BMW, I would of bought one
Old 02-18-07, 09:22 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
I bet 3 series wagon has more cargo space, and handles better, and has better acceleration.
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/328...n/techdata.htm
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X3/30si/techdata.htm

Both have the same roof load. 165lbs
The wagon can have more of a payload 1102 lbs the X3 1036 lbs
The wagon is 500lbs less and has a lower drag cd.
The wagon has more passenger volume
http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/3/328...on/compare.htm

I am trying to find the wagon cargo capacity.

Old 02-18-07, 09:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

LOL a Ford Crown Victoria pulls .86 on skidpad, must be handling as good as M3.
Old 02-18-07, 09:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
2004 and 2006 X3 is the same car, the newer one is slighly revised, so there's not a whole lot of difference. The bottom line is - X3 is the worst BMW ever built.
And you own.......??????
Old 02-18-07, 09:25 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
LOL a Ford Crown Victoria pulls .86 on skidpad, must be handling as good as M3.
LOL I wonder if folks understand what the skidpad results actually mean.
Old 02-18-07, 09:25 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skidpad numbers are only a very small part of the story - they alone are almost meaningless when it comes to representing handling performance, especially when the numbers are generated under different environmental conditions and on different pads.

You can always tell people that don't understand racing dynamics by the ones that cling to skidpad values as the answer to every handling comparison.

The X3 is just absolutely not going to outhandle a 3-series sedan or coupe, much less an M3. The X3 gets its suspension and chassis setup from the 3 series but is heavier and sits up higher, so logic would dictate it couldn't exceed the capabilities of the 3 series from which its derived.
Old 02-18-07, 09:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
And you own.......??????
Not sure what owning has to do with anything. Most car reviewers own an older car, they don't own 911s or Ferraris.

It is fine for you to like the X3, clearly, you own it. Univerally though, it is the other way around.

Skidpad numbers are a number. If you really keep the argument the X3 handles better or as good as a M5 or M3 b/c of a number, one number, when those cars are universally praised for their handling, then no point in debating with you.

Old 02-18-07, 09:28 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps braking, slalom, and other stats would hush the critics..But this is indeed preaching to the choir..Once again, lol... none of you who are bashing the vehicle owned or driven the vehicle. Perhaps in 1:18 scale? I am actually selling those in the classifieds including an sc430
Old 02-18-07, 09:31 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

1Sick, exactly, its fine to own and like whatever the car maybe, even if its an X3, but it's plain out silly to make retarded claims that X3 outhandles an M3. It's like me saying my LS outhandles 911 turbo.
Old 02-18-07, 09:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Perhaps braking, slalom, and other stats would hush the critics..But this is indeed preaching to the choir..Once again, lol... none of you who are bashing the vehicle owned or driven the vehicle. Perhaps in 1:18 scale? I am actually selling those in the classifieds including an sc430
OMFG, dude, seeing that you are from NYC, I wish I still had my old Honda so that we could meet up and I would school your silly little BMW wannabe. And with the backseat reclined, I'd carry more crap too.
Old 02-18-07, 09:34 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven an X3. I'm not bashing it. It was fun for an SUV (though the interior and ride quality was not nearly as nice as the RDX in my opinion), but it absolutely will not outhandle a comparable 3-series sedan or coupe. That's all there is to it - magazine race all you want with numbers that suit your desired result, but the fact is you're proud of the X3 because you own it and that's why you're borderline delusional here with some of your claims. Until you take your X3 out to a track and beat a similar year and motor 3-series with a comparably skilled driver, you're just magazine racing, which of course the rest of us are too, but you have to admit your claims go against basic logic, that the X3 SUV would outperform the very car which it is a heavier lifted version of.
Old 02-18-07, 09:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Ok let get past the ying yang talk now.. To get back on topic, here is a vid of the top two Suv's in the Consumer Reports going head to head. The Euro version of the 06 Rav 4 is as small as my 02 Rav4. The US market gets the longer version of the 06 Rav4

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=...UTF-8%26b%3D11
Old 02-18-07, 09:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Why are you posting some meaningless video in some foreighn language?
Old 02-18-07, 09:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
OMFG, dude, seeing that you are from NYC, I wish I still had my old Honda so that we could meet up and I would school your silly little BMW wannabe. And with the backseat reclined, I'd carry more crap too.
You are obviously too childish for me. the igore list for you

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....