Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 06:31 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A trend since its debut...

COUNTERPOINT

RON KIINO
I might have thought more of the X3 had I not driven it back-to-back with a Subaru Forester 2.5XT. Yes, the Bimmer is ritzier, offers more niceties, such as a power liftgate and hill-descent control, and handles and brakes in a league above, but it's more than two seconds slower to 60, a lot harsher in the ride department, and about 15 grand more on the bottom line. And as far as I can tell, it doesn't offer any real advantage in rear-seat space, cargo room, or all-weather traction. By itself, the X3 is an able performer, but next to the Forester, it simply seems like an inflated 3-series wagon, in both size and price.

PATRICK BEDARD
I've seen sillier cars. There was an angry, slotted Bizzarrini GT back in 1968 that scraped its belly on the ground like a skulking lizard. The AMC Gremlin, a subcompact created by chopping the useful space out of the compact Hornet, was pretty silly, too. But this BMW X3 is the 21st-century record holder. Especially with the sport-suspension option and six-speed box, BMW seems to have combined the worst features of sports cars and SUVs—the jarring ride, fast-wearing tires, and dinky cargo area of the former with the excessive weight and precious pricing of the latter. For $41,000 you get a sports car on stilts. Mondo silly.

LARRY WEBSTER
A BMW sport-ute had me skeptical from the start, but I grew to appreciate BMW's first effort, the X5. I once used an X5 to tow my race car—at a very comfortable and fast velocity—and once at the track exploited the car's flexibility by using it for a handful of not-too-slow demonstration laps around the course. I couldn't have done both in the 5-series wagon. But I don't think the X3 is any more useful than the 3-series wagon. Plus, the X3 gives up plenty of performance, and it's the worst-riding BMW I've ever driven. Sure, the X3 has a roomier interior, but from a driver's standpoint, it's not even a contest—I'd take the wagon version

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...30i-page2.html
What did Csabe have to say about the X3? I've been a reader of Car & Driver and used to watch Car & Driver television for years.. There will always be critics. Like I said earlier, you will have varying opinions from various sources. Just like you have movie critics, you have car critics. You have to be your own critic in the game of life and not follow others. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I went out and test drove each vehicle mentioned except the Mazda C7. Magazines meant sqat to me. I have a Rav4 already and still tok a trip to my old Toyota dealer, Bayside Toyota, to test out the 06 Rav4L V6. Despite having 269 hp, it did not appeal to me. Porshe Cayanne V6 felt tipsy and did not cut it. The handeling of the comp I tested was not even in the same league as the X3 SAV. I wanted an all season sport vehicle that can cut up the corners with, haul stuff, and chill in..went out and got my self a Bimmer X3 Money well spent... Commence
Old 02-20-07, 06:30 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The x3 rides like a truck, which it shouldnt. I don't even drive the es300 anymore, nor claimed to have owned all of those vehicles. I've driven each one on a daily basis, a few have been mine, a few family vehicles.

You want pictures for proof? hahaha, wow thats low. Heres one picture with both the 3 and x5. I dont think i need to go further and post them all.

Burdick BMW syracuse, NY.....loaner x3 for x5 service, specifically painting of black sport mufflers after chipping and air ride suspension service.

I'm not trying to make any personal attacks against you shocker like you did to me. You also drive a GTO? Most people hate that car too, I Love that car i dont need a reason. The x3 is your choice, if you like it good for you.
Attached Thumbnails Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....-dscn1061.jpg  

Last edited by jhenty; 02-20-07 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 06:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenty
The x3 rides like a truck, which it shouldnt. I don't even drive the es300 anymore, nor claimed to have owned all of those vehicles. I've driven each one on a daily basis, a few have been mine, a few family vehicles.

You want pictures for proof? hahaha, wow thats low. Heres one picture with both the 3 and x5. I dont think i need to go further and post them all.

[B]The x3 is your choice, if you like it good for you.[B]
Correct Why don't you come to a Neloc meet, and I will let you ride shotgun, then let you drive my x3 while I ride shotgun. Let me know if the 06 X3 does indeed "ride like a truck". Guess which handles & rides better of the two (X5, X3). I recall Car and driver televison/magazine referring to the X5 with the sport package as jarring and ball busting..Heck they had this to say in one article..
But early comments from staffers who drove this brand-new vehicle elicited very un-BMW-like, one-word adjectives -- such as jerky, jumpy, and jiggly. It sounded as if we were naming the cast of the "Seven Dysfunctional Dwarves.
More reviews here.http://www.caranddriver.com/carrevie...x5/bmw_x5.html Very indicative of the X3 eh?? Those magazines I tell yeh. Once again, it is all subjective, and they mean squat imo. Dudes really need to drive vehicles instead of reading magazines and eating bon bons.. Oh yes Jhendy, the X3 is similar in price to the X5 3.0.., more money than a z4 coupe/droptop, 335 coupe, 530I sport wagon. The beauty of your local BMW center is that you can test drive all these cars with no hesitation. Yeah, i could of rocked one of those other Bimmers but I was not in the market for any of them as i needed something more practical to commute in allseason (especially to Jersey where my girl lives), and for her to drive sometimes. The X3 I test drove seemed to win me over. Took it on the LIE which is right next to my dealer Bayside BMW , and was amazed at how quickly it gets up to speed.. Sport mode withe the famed 3.0 inline 6 just unleashes this vehicle, the brakes are incredible (157ft 70-0mph 2 feet shy of the mighty M5), cornering flat as hell. X5 3.0 is slowwwwwww. Guess it is the weight.. 4.8 on the otherhand wowww!! I'm a miser so was not willing to spend 60k on a vehicle.. Shelled out the doe on the x3, and I was out the front door... Hell yeah, I was ready to pull the trigger on the GTO, but I had to think.. This car will be sitting in my driveway during the winter just like my GS, 30k which will turn into 15 k in 2yrs do to depreciation, and my girl can't drive stick Like i posted in another thread, the GTO is going to be as cheap to obtain like a Trans-Am/Camaro.. I will let someone else take a hit, then I will get one for cheap Hey..Get the laundry out of moms x5 lol j/k love the pics..
Old 02-21-07, 10:24 AM
jhenty
Pole Position

Haha, no hard feelings about anything. Like I said its your preference. Most people here bash bmw period without ever driving many of them. Its my favorite brand. You did your homework and found what you preferred so props to you on that one. Many people just buy a car because others like it or just on looks. Although the x3 may not have been my choice it apparently suits you pretty well.
Old 02-21-07, 08:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A trend since its debut...

COUNTERPOINT

RON KIINO
I might have thought more of the X3 had I not driven it back-to-back with a Subaru Forester 2.5XT. Yes, the Bimmer is ritzier, offers more niceties, such as a power liftgate and hill-descent control, and handles and brakes in a league above, but it's more than two seconds slower to 60, a lot harsher in the ride department, and about 15 grand more on the bottom line. And as far as I can tell, it doesn't offer any real advantage in rear-seat space, cargo room, or all-weather traction. By itself, the X3 is an able performer, but next to the Forester, it simply seems like an inflated 3-series wagon, in both size and price.

PATRICK BEDARD
I've seen sillier cars. There was an angry, slotted Bizzarrini GT back in 1968 that scraped its belly on the ground like a skulking lizard. The AMC Gremlin, a subcompact created by chopping the useful space out of the compact Hornet, was pretty silly, too. But this BMW X3 is the 21st-century record holder. Especially with the sport-suspension option and six-speed box, BMW seems to have combined the worst features of sports cars and SUVs—the jarring ride, fast-wearing tires, and dinky cargo area of the former with the excessive weight and precious pricing of the latter. For $41,000 you get a sports car on stilts. Mondo silly.

LARRY WEBSTER
A BMW sport-ute had me skeptical from the start, but I grew to appreciate BMW's first effort, the X5. I once used an X5 to tow my race car—at a very comfortable and fast velocity—and once at the track exploited the car's flexibility by using it for a handful of not-too-slow demonstration laps around the course. I couldn't have done both in the 5-series wagon. But I don't think the X3 is any more useful than the 3-series wagon. Plus, the X3 gives up plenty of performance, and it's the worst-riding BMW I've ever driven. Sure, the X3 has a roomier interior, but from a driver's standpoint, it's not even a contest—I'd take the wagon version

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...30i-page2.html
That was the 04. Rumor has it the 06 has made decent strides in the rock hard handling department.
Old 02-21-07, 09:58 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

So the RAV4 is a sporty SUV?
Old 03-31-07, 11:56 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

RAV4 V6 limited is a pretty damn quick compact SUV

my friends are planning to buy a new car, looking into compact SUVs for a taller view of the road

they want me advice, i think ill highly recommend RAV4 V6 to them
great mileage (similar to 4 cylinder) yet still lots of power!
and the new RAV4 is much bigger than last one