Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....

Under Sporty SUVs, the Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 had the highest overall score.

83-Toyota Rav4 best buy, excellent reliability
78- BMW X3 (half a black mark for reliablity) and not recommended
75-Nissan Murano recommended, avg reliability
72-Acura RDX, very good reliablity, recommended
71-Infiniti FX35, very good reliability, recommended
62-Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring, New, not recommended

They also tested off road SUVs. The Nissan Xterra won. The FJ was not recommended.

Old 02-16-07, 05:01 PM
LexFather

I'm still reading egads, these cute utes get horrible gas mileage. The X3 gets 19mpg, the RDX 18mpg with the Mazda!! The FJ was 17mp.

The X3 did 0-60 in 7.9, the RDX 7.4 and Mazda 9.1. The FJ did 8 flat.

Old 02-16-07, 05:31 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did they give a reason why the FJ was not recommended? is it because of it's relative "newness"?
Old 02-16-07, 05:34 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing here.....may have something to do with the huge blindspots.
Old 02-16-07, 06:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by foofighter
did they give a reason why the FJ was not recommended? is it because of it's relative "newness"?
Very reliable but claimed it did not perform well in road tests.

Old 02-16-07, 06:16 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

ahhh...well i think toyota wanted this FJ to be more offroad...i'm sure it wont affect it's already stellar sales figures
Old 02-16-07, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Besides reliability, which CR values above all other, what other things did they value? And conversely, despite getting a higher score than the rest (except Rav4), how can the X3 be not recommended? Just because of the half a black mark? Which goes back again to them valuing reliability above all else.

CR, most of their readers and surveys, are about being 'sensible', not having fun. If you want to be mainstream and sensible, buy what CR says. Excuse me if I don't wanna party with you though, I've got some cracks to spackle over instead, lol

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-16-07 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-16-07, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Besides reliability, which CR values above all other, what other things did they value? And conversely, despite getting a higher score than the rest (except Rav4), how can the X3 be not recommended? Just because of the half a black mark? Which goes back again to them valuing reliability above all else.

CR, most of their readers and surveys, are about being 'sensible', not having fun. If you want to be mainstream and sensible, buy what CR says. Excuse me if I don't wanna party with you though, I've got some cracks to spackle over instead, lol
Well bit, I am happy to see another viewpoint. It seemed to be written by actual buyers and not some ex race car driver telling me every car sucks b/c it handles not as good as a Cayman.

They complained all rode stiff for one. The X3 without I-drive had the best controls to them and the upgraded interior was better. The RDX had too many buttons and handled well. The Mazda had lag under acceleration and felt cramped in the back.

I was on the Caddy forums and a guy posted "Got damnit I like the cushy ride and don't want a Euro ride" as he sees Caddy with the harsher suspensions.

MMarshall made that point too. The small tire, stiff car madness is ridiculous, even though the cars do handle better.

Old 02-16-07, 10:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Is there a universal definition of "having fun" ? It can mean drifting, doing donuts to playing with electronic gadgets or the stereo & everything else in between .
Old 02-16-07, 11:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I give it up to Toyota for the newfound power option for the RAV4. It's powerful enough to beat passenger cars that are either half the size or twice the price. I remember when they brought a RHD JDM 2 Door RAV4 for the first time in the US to the LA Auto Show in 1995. What a difference.
Old 02-17-07, 12:12 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

love the V6 in the Rav4, but the rest is .. blah.. Except for the CX7, I would pick the rest over the Rav4 any day. Seriously, I don't give a rat a$$ about CR ranking but some people do really read and follow it like a bible.

I can't believe the FJ is not recommended.. CR usually weight more on functionalilty and practicallity than anything so maybe the big blind spot and the 2 door really killed it for CR.. Oh well
Old 02-17-07, 12:20 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

what about the new Honda CR-V?

so whats good with the V6 Rav4 other than the power and mileage from the V6 and the reliability?
Old 02-17-07, 04:24 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love consumer reports, but you have to do your own testing & not rely soley on magazines.. I did and that is why I am in an X3 now The best out of the litter imo.
Old 02-17-07, 05:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I am happy to see the RAV4 did well. Good for Toyota.

Still strange some of those 0 to 60 times.
Old 02-17-07, 10:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UberNoob
what about the new Honda CR-V?
A pedestrian SUV, not fun and no V-6. Clearly it does its task well as it gets uglier and uglier and sells more and more.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Jan 07. Rav4 beats X3/RDX/FX35....