Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's the deal with all the Yellow wood trim in the new Toyotas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 03:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm opposite of many hear. I like darker wood myself and don't like the light colored wood. It is probably because I don't like tan interiors and prefer black or darker color interiors as well.
Old 02-17-07, 10:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss

Does anyone actually like this new color over the reddish-brown color from before?
What interior is that top one from? I do not recognize it but I do like it, I think it looks pretty good with those lighter colored wood. Is that real wood or simulated. The lighter colored wood to me is the best looking thing in the new Camry interior which is not saying much. I really like the light colored wood option in the Audi A8 and the Bently Continental GT. The new RLs wood is beautiful especially the way it goes around the dash and my favorite for cars under 50K. I don't like really dark brown woods either in car interiors but do like dark or cherry wood in home furniture. I think I have more of a problem with some of the browner colored woods that have a cheap orange hinge to them. The wood on my GS that surrounds the shifter does not look good and looks fake and has kind of an cheap orangish color. A couple people who have sat in my car thought it was fake wood and it looks worse then alot of simulated woods I have seen. The wood on the shifter and door stills looks much better though. I would take a nicely done simulated wood interior over a crappy/cheap looking real wood interior.
Old 02-17-07, 11:39 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i want real aluminum or carbon fiber.
Old 02-17-07, 11:47 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm using the CLS as an example, but this doesn't work in my favor. It's aftermarket though. I like CF, but I wouldn't personally buy it in my car because it's not classy. I like to have the idea that I have a murderer dressed in an Armani suit

This is a good picture. Personally I prefer Piano Black though, or as dark as wood as it can get. Not like BMW's dark wood (I don't remember the name, my sisters X5 has it, it's nice, but not like the kind in my LS430. The LS430 just screams refinement because it's a rich, dark red which fades to black; I think it's called shadowline or something).

This is what I was especially trying to get to, I love the low-gloss wood that the CLS can come with.

Absolutley beautiful!

I think Piano Black is really classy. I'm a fan of dark colors. My LS430 is black exterior, black leather, and as I said before, dark red wood that fades to black. The X5 is black exterior, a very dark wood, and black interior. All the other cars are the same. Only the LX is black exterior with java interior

Another shot.

I think next I'm going to go for a dark blue exterior with a lighter interior, perhaps java or baseball-glove colored. I think it's called saddle with Mercedes. Not sure.
Old 02-18-07, 01:47 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The piano black on that BMW is very nice. If that were my car, I would make passengers wear gloves
Old 02-18-07, 04:53 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by vraa

I'm using the CLS as an example, but this doesn't work in my favor. It's aftermarket though. I like CF, but I wouldn't personally buy it in my car because it's not classy. I like to have the idea that I have a murderer dressed in an Armani suit
thats perfect for me.
suede and carbon fiber
Old 02-18-07, 07:32 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What interior is that top one from?
That's the 2008 Highlander.

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
i want real aluminum or carbon fiber.
Yick. That was the one jarring note on the Hyundai Azera I had as a rental. (Quit snickering. Before you slam the Azera, go drive one. Hyundai has some things to learn from Lexus, but not very much.) The center console was aluminum, and it just looked cheap - and out of place with the rest of the interior. It also was easy to scratch.

Originally Posted by vraa
I'm a fan of dark colors. My LS430 is black exterior, black leather, and as I said before, dark red wood that fades to black. The X5 is black exterior, a very dark wood, and black interior. All the other cars are the same. Only the LX is black exterior with java interior
You live in Sugarland??! I'd NEVER!! own a black-on-black car in the Houston area. Not only is it impossible to keep clean, but parking outside from March to October means you come back to an oven.
Old 02-18-07, 07:49 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by jmaynard
Yick. That was the one jarring note on the Hyundai Azera I had as a rental. (Quit snickering. Before you slam the Azera, go drive one. Hyundai has some things to learn from Lexus, but not very much.) The center console was aluminum, and it just looked cheap - and out of place with the rest of the interior. It also was easy to scratch.
ive been in tokyo a lot lately and i havent driven an Azera yet but did read some good reviews. and didnt look bad actually. but i guess its a different story in the inside. and maybe it was easy to scratch b/c it was a Hyundai?

I like wood in my interior too, especially that long one piece on the current IS. I dunno if its real or not but sure impressed me. but i dunno, wood trim makes it kind of dull for me.
Old 02-18-07, 08:24 AM
jmaynard
Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
and maybe it was easy to scratch b/c it was a Hyundai?
Aluminum is easy to scratch, period. It looks nice when it's new, but after it's been used a while, I suspect it'll look terrible.
Old 02-18-07, 08:26 AM
LexFather

Lighter woods match better with lighter color interiors, thus the yellow wood. I wouldn't get it for my car but its a different look.

Old 02-18-07, 08:29 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I love light colored wood !
Old 02-18-07, 08:57 AM
kit cat

Aluminum is easy to scratch, period. It looks nice when it's new, but after it's been used a while, I suspect it'll look terrible.
true, I havent owned a aluminum interior car to see how its like after a while.
Old 02-18-07, 09:05 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

After owning an early LS400 with dark wood for almost 14 years, I went looking for a 2000 LS400 in 2003 thinking that dark wood was all that was available.

I looked at several "regular" 2000 LS400s with dark wood and then came across one of the Platinum series LS400s with light maple wood.

Personally I thought the light maple wood was stunning compared to the dark wood and it seemed to brighten up the enterior immensely -- one reason I bought the car on the spot. Some people think dark wood gives a car rich, traditional appearance but it just looks dreary to me. It is all just a personal preference. I like the trend to light wood trim.
Attached Thumbnails What's the deal with all the Yellow wood trim in the new Toyotas?-low-res-rear-seat-view.jpg  
Old 02-18-07, 02:02 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

You live in Sugarland??! I'd NEVER!! own a black-on-black car in the Houston area. Not only is it impossible to keep clean, but parking outside from March to October means you come back to an oven.

I've become used to it.
Oh hey, the car's temp gauge says it's 140 degrees outside.. wait what!!@#@
Old 02-18-07, 10:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The Continental GT coupe and Aston Martin DB9 are the two of the nicest interiors available especially with the light wood
Attached Thumbnails What's the deal with all the Yellow wood trim in the new Toyotas?-aston-martin-db9-interior-night-1024x768.jpg  

Quick Reply: What's the deal with all the Yellow wood trim in the new Toyotas?