Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 most and least expensive cars to insure

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 08:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Top 10 most and least expensive cars to insure

The Most Expensive Cars To Insure
Insurance companies don't have a “one-size-fits-all” way to price their policies. Your insurance rates are based on a lot of factors. And one of those factors is the kind of car you drive.

Health Insurance Life Insurance Group Insurance Seniors Insurance Dental Insurance Auto Insurance Homeowners Insurance

When insurance companies decide which cars they should charge higher premiums for, they look at three things:

Design. How well is the car put together? Are repairs easy and affordable, or difficult and expensive ?

Technology. What features does it have to make driving safer? Things like anti-lock brakes reduce the risk of accidents — and costly insurance company settlements.

Imported or Domestic? Imported cars usually need to be repaired with imported parts. That means trips to the mechanic are costlier.
So which cars will cost you the most in monthly premiums?

The Cars That Will Raise Your Insurance Premiums
The most expensive cars to insure are:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Mercedes CL-Class
Dodge SRT-4
Subaru Impreza WRX
Jaguar XK
Lexus IS 300
Honda S2000
Acura RSX
Nissan 350Z
Jaguar XJ

Owning one of these cars is bad news for your monthly insurance bill. But there's a bright side: none of these cars makes the top 10 most stolen cars list.

What about the least expensive cars to insure?

If you want to save on your premiums, these are the models to look at next time you're out car-shopping:

Volvo XC90
Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
GMC Safari
Buick LeSabre
Nissan Pathfinder Armada
Pontiac Montana
Mazda MPV
Ford Thunderbird
Pontiac Montana
Ford Taurus

It isn't all about the kind of car you drive, though. There are plenty of other factors that affect how much your premiums will cost.
Source : insurelane.com
Old 02-19-07, 09:07 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That "most expensive" list is BS. It depends on your age, your driving record, and your insurance company. My S2000 was actually cheaper to insure than the IS 250 that I had.

Also, where are cars like the NSX, Z-06, Viper, or any of a number of Ferraris? You can't tell me that rates on one of these are going to be less than the rates on an Acura RSX.
Old 02-19-07, 10:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
That "most expensive" list is BS. It depends on your age, your driving record, and your insurance company. My S2000 was actually cheaper to insure than the IS 250 that I had.

Also, where are cars like the NSX, Z-06, Viper, or any of a number of Ferraris? You can't tell me that rates on one of these are going to be less than the rates on an Acura RSX.
As you pointed out, it depends. My NSX for the exact same coverage was cheaper than my RX330 to insure by about $400 a year, and only cost me $12 a month more than my Civic. This is through State Farm, +30 year old driver. Part of the reason is certain exotic or weekend cars can fall under the casual use cars if you use it less than 10K miles a year and you get a discount because of that.
Old 02-19-07, 10:40 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure this list compares the types of drivers who ordinarily purchase the listed vehicles. I suppose a typical Volvo shuffler would be less likely to smash up his XC than would the Evo hotshoe. But, to paraphrase Paul Harvey, let's hear the REST of the story. Insurance costs are based on frequency, severity, and claims. While the first two might be related to the "personality type". there's no escaping the third component, the cost of replacement.

Huge oversight here . . . Because many wrecked vehicles are now simply "totaled" rather than repaired, the replacement cost of an exotic, or even a luxury car over an Evo has to be enormous. It has to be a large part of the premium, because even if you wad your Mitsu up in a ball, it's still WAY cheaper than replacing your Enzo.
Old 02-19-07, 11:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 montanas?
Old 02-19-07, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Saturn products used to be some of the cheapest vehicles to insure because of their plastic bodies....insurance companies liked them ( and I did too ) , but since GM, foolishly, has turned Saturn into just another rebodied GM division, Saturns have lost their uniqueness and are treated by insurance companies just like other conventionally-bodied vehicles. .
Old 02-19-07, 04:47 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
The RSX/Integra is one of the most expensive cars to insure because of all the young punks driving them. Plus they get stolen a lot (I think the Integra was the most stolen car in the country for a number of years)

I remember reading that a Vette was cheaper to insure than a Camaro Z28 from the same year, because it was mostly young male speed demons buying the Camaro, but most young guys don't have the kind of money required to get into a newer Vette
Old 02-19-07, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why the V8 Mustang is not on the most-expensive-to-insure list is WAY beyond me. I know of no other car in the American market that is driven more aggressively, by a crazier bunch of drivers, and that kills more teen-agers and young adults. None, period. Even the Camaro SS/Z28, Firebird Trans-Am, Hemi Charger/Magnum, and GTO, with similiar big American high-performance muscle-car V8's and many immature drivers, can't equal the Mustang GT/Cobra/SVT's accident and injury/death rate per mile driven.

This is nothing new, by any means, either. I have been watching young kids drag-race and crack up Mustangs for some 40 years...though the Mustangs of the mid-70's were just redone 4 and 6-cylinder Pintos.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-07 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-07, 05:21 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, the Mazda MPV is on the list I have one. :-)