Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

any porsche 911 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 11:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Make sure you have money left over for maintenance/repairs too
+1

I owned an 01 Boxster 2.7 (used 20k miles) for about 6 months and wasn't impressed at all with the build quality of Porsche....quite a few squeaks and rattles....the motor was fine but I kept reading horror stories about RMS leaks, failures, etc. It got to the point I would get pissed when I got in to drive it and heard sqeaks and tired of worrying about the repairs that were bound to come and the $100 oil changes (synthetic, 10 qts).
Old 02-21-07, 12:23 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
You should be considering a differnent car if you only have 25-30k to spend because a 911 in that price range is gonna have highmileage/ragged out. 35k min for a nonturbo, 45k for a turbo (996 of course). Like 1sicklex said ... the 993s are not modern at all and they arent nearly as reliable as the 996s. Maybe you should be looking at something more along the lines of a 02 or 03 vette z06 or 03 mustang cobra

I agree with this guy you can probably get a nice C5 Z06 for that price range, with mid miles anywhere from 60k to 70k. Eh, its a Chevy but you can definately have fun with an LS6 or even the regular LS2 version. I'd go with the Vette personally.
Old 02-21-07, 04:45 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother-in-law recently got a 2007 911 Carrera S... wow... what a thrill to drive! Needless to say, he loves it.
Old 02-21-07, 04:58 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

not a big fan of american muscle.. i'd rather get the nsx.. really i was hoping to get a supra turbo.. but they're hard to find unmolested.. thanks for the feedback..
Old 02-21-07, 10:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Straight6
not a big fan of american muscle.. i'd rather get the nsx.. really i was hoping to get a supra turbo.. but they're hard to find unmolested.. thanks for the feedback..
I would recommend a used NSX too instead of a used 911 at your price range. The NSX are better built and more reliable and to most look much better and exotic then a 996 or 993 stock 911. For 25K or 30K you are only going to get well used 996 911s that the person is having trouble selling and needs to for some reason. Even if you can find a decent one in your price range the maintenance, parts, and service will cost you big time. I can't believe some of the prices I hear from people I know who own 911s pay for parts, service, and even oil changes.

I wanted a Supra turbo also but after seeing the insane prices people and dealerships wanted for them I said forget it you can keep it for sale at that price for a couple of years and hope some sucker will pay over 25K for a decent condition/mileage 8-13 year old Toyota. If you want a Porsche you can certainly get a very nice condition 944 or 968 and still have money left over for maintenance, parts, and aftermarket. Don't let them being 4 cylinders turn you off because they are still quick fun great handling sports cars and they have good aftermarket support for performance upgrades. Everyone I know who owned/owns a 944 loves the car. At your price range you can alos get some good sports cars like a slightly used S2000, 300ZX, 350Z, G35 coupe, C5 vette, and probrably an early higher mileage E46M3 but it too will be pretty expensive to maintain and you could run into some reliability issues with the car but it is still a great car.
Old 02-22-07, 07:04 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Straight6
I'm contemplating on getting a 911 in the future. That or an NSX but it seems to find one within my budget. So far I'm leaning more on early to mid 90s. I just like the body style better, but would consider any year as long as it fit my budget. As of now, i would think $25-30K. What I would like to know is which is a desireable year to get? Years to avoid? Pros? Cons? Common problems? Things to look for.. Could definitely use some feedback. Tnx.
Both the NSX and 911 are great cars. As others have suggested, I'd stick with a 996 (over a 993), if not for the updated interior alone. Your price range, however, is problematic; you may have a difficult time finding a good example of either car for under $30k. Not impossible, but it will take some searching.

996 - I'd look for one that's at least a later half of the year '99 or newer. They changed the taillights to the more modern looking red/clear mid '99, and it looks much better. Look for low miles (of course) and beware of RMS (rear main seal) repairs. Just because it has been repaired does not mean that the problem will not resurface. I'd prefer a car that has not needed a new RMS.

NSX - At that price range, you'll be looking at a '91-93. Mileage will most likely be 60k+, so check for clutch wear, timing belt/water pump replacement (minimum $1500 for the 90k service), window regulators (if windows roll up slow), AC problems (no big deal if it's the climate control unit versus the compressor), and of course previous damage/repair/repaint. Also make sure to check if it's in snap-ring range (early cars) and if it's been repaired. This is not a deal breaker, but a repair will cost $2000. Sometimes, however, even a snap ring tranny will be just fine thoughout it's entire life. Just negotiate a discount for this.

I think the 996 is a better daily for most people. However, if you find an NSX you want, you can PM me and I'll tell you what I think.

Last edited by pvmike1; 02-22-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 07:17 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
My brother-in-law recently got a 2007 911 Carrera S... wow... what a thrill to drive! Needless to say, he loves it.
997 S's are great cars. I've driven one up to 120 or so, and it hit that speed with ease. I thought I was going about 90; it's almost too civilized. I traded my NSX for my buddy's 997 S as we drove around one day, and he stated that he thought my car was faster. Nope, not even close. The 997 is just so smooth you don't realize the speed it carries around corners and while accelerating.

Last edited by pvmike1; 02-22-07 at 07:21 PM.